Graphic Adventures -- I want them back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic Adventures -- I want them back

I was having a conversation with a fellow Commodore nut like myself in my local, the Whyteside pub about the utter lack of graphic adventures these days..........

Sam and Max Hit the Road
    Beneath a Steal Sky
    Lure of the Temptress
    Day of the Tentacle
    Operation Stealth
    Loom
    Maniac Mansion
    The Dig
    Indiana Jones Saga
    Grim Fandango
    Space Quest
    Secret of Monkey Island Saga
    Kings Quest
    and so forth...

What was your favourite graphic adventure and why?

Do you think this genre will ever regain the position it once held?

Day of the Tentacle is just awsome

I miss Goblins 3 too.. but then I was a bit younger than I am now when I played it, haven't replayed it for years......

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...tough call,

I'd say sam & max, Grim Fandango or Monkey Island 1.
      I just loved the humour in them even if some of the puzzle required VERY lateral thinking. In fact I replayed S & M just the other week.

I also liked Broken Sword series.

I hope that they become popular again and with the new stuff comin (Full Throttle 2, BS 3 & S & M 2) ya just never know. Anyway I'm sure there will always be Guybrush.

Comment

Ah yes. I loved the reaction-free point and click adventure. So nice to be able to drink and/ or eat simultaneously to playing.

I particularly adored the Monkey Island Games (especially the underrated 3rd part). The only encouraging news, as has been mentioned, is that Lucasarts are making a 2nd Full Throttle game sometime this year. Whether this is true remains to be seen, but it would be great to be able to play a simple, straight adventure once more.

More Guybrush?

Comment

Grim Fandango. It just has to be. Such a vivid, deliberate world inhabited with personalities so full of hyperbole that the game simply oozes energy. Clever, witty and incredibly charming.

Comment

I alltime favorite has to be Gabriel Knight. Everything about it, from the graphics, to the music, to the story, to the voice acting (Tim Curry is pure class) was superb. Couldn't stop playing it. Gabriel Knight 2, eventhough it was a FMV adventure game, was probably the best of that breed. I have Gabriel Knight 3, but I have yet to finish it.

Grim Fandango was also an incredible experience, though I think it was a bit harder than was really necesary. Still, the story and graphics were first class all the way, and it is one of the few that I would love to see as a movie.

My heart, though, will always belong to the Leisure Suit Larry series. I know there are plenty of haters of that game here, but I don't care. The first one was a delciously sinful game when I was 16, and each one hit high marks. Loved it.

Comment

Fate Of Atlantis for me. Indiana Jones graphic adventure = heaven. Most of the Lucasarts games though are very, very good. Monkey Island series, DOTT and Sam N' Max were all funny. I also liked Full Throttle - which was way too short. Also The Dig - remember being stuck somewhere near the start of this game for ages.

Revolution have also made some class games. The Broken Sword games are really rather good and also Beneath A Steel Sky, which was probably the first GA i ever played on a PC

The Gabriel Knight games are also pretty good. Didn't like the 2nd one though. All that FMV.

Couple of not so well known games i enjoyed: Flight Of The Amazon Queen, which was really like the old Lucasarts games, but not quite as good and The Last Express which if i remember is played out in real-time.

For newer games i suggest anyone who wants to try out a GA to pick up The Longest Journey. First really decent GA in quite a while imo.

Lastly for anyone interested check out:

Link is to a site where a group of people are working on a new Indiana Jones GA - The Fountain Of Youth. Some of the screenshots look quite good and do bring out some Lucasarts nostalgia in me. Whether it will ever see the light of day who knows.

Comment

I missed out on the 'golden age' of adventure gaming there ... I think the only game from that period I played was one of the Space Quests ? Oh and Phantasmagoria. I sat in on a few sessions of The Dig with some friends though ...

Fondest memories of an adventure are of an ancient C64 text parser type deal (had graphics though) called 'Heroes of Karn' which was the first game like that I ever managed to finish ... ah, that 1/2 hour load time, though ~~

I'm not so sure the classic adventure will ever regain the status it had ... if it does it'll be in the Shenmue mould, rather than the point'n'click, maybe.

S.

Comment

Any fans of the old text adventures here? Zork, Leather Goddesses Of Phobos, Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, and more... Ah, hours of gaming goodness, and not one damn graphic to be seen.

:: waxes nostalgic ::

Comment

Was never a big fan of text adventures. Can only remember ever playing a couple, back in my Atari ST days. They were actual text adventures but with static graphics of the location you were at. Can't for the life of me remember what they were called though.

Couple more oldie GA's i've just thought of worth checking out: Operation Stealth (think James Bond) and Cruise For A Corpse (think Hercules Poirot.)

Comment

The most recent Text adventure I played was Starship Titanic, which was't brilliant, yet was wonderfully playable at the same time. The key point of the game was the NPC's interacting with what you type, for example if you say "Hello", they'll reply with a greating. If you type "hello, how are you?", they'll reply with a greating and an answer. You could obviously say the things you've always wanted to say in a game, like telling a character to F Off after a bleeding obvious puzzle just refuses to work.

Clever stuff that didn't entirely work and sadly wont ever be expanded upon.

By no means was this a great game, but it had a certain charm that no other game can give. The usual humour of Adams was present throughout the experience and I recommend this game to anyone who likes a challenge.

Grim Fandango has the most widely inventive (and likeable) game-world I've ever experienced. The atmosphere and story were among the best I've seen in any medium. It was tough, but impossibly cool at the same time.

Monkey Island is the finest adventure ever made.

Day of the Tenticle is the most amusing.

Broken Sword is the most sarcastic and, thanks to the GBA (and Gari's review), is something I've only recently had the pleasure of experincing.
                      Can't wait for number 3...

Full Throttle was very cool, but the sequel is a 3rd person action game rather than adventure...last time I looked anyway.

Thanks for making this topic, it's a nice reminder of a golden age.

Comment

Largo Winch is a type of graphics adventure

camps

ps **** the graphics, give me a decent text adventure anyday -- Infocom all the way

Comment

hehehehe this was the only genre I played for the first 4 years of my gaming life. I started on Zork Zero back when games came on the massive disks and was amazed by the "cutting edge" graphics of KQ1 I was involved recently with a fan based remake project of KQ9 (www.kq9.org sorry for spammin hehe) and although there have been many this one is VERY serious. You cant see much from the website but believe me these people are very devoted and really want to bring this brilliant series back to life.

Does anyone remeber The Colonels Bequest with Laura Bow? That game used to really scare me when I was five whenever you found a dead body and the "duh duh duhhhhh" noise came on. I just think its a shame that Sierra ever stopped making adventure games as they were the masters of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
                            Any fans of the old text adventures here?
                            Pretty much the first game on a cartridge I ever owned was 'Adventure' (Can't remember if that was really it's name ... long time ago) for the VIC20. Never figured out what to do with the Chiggers though. Haunts me to this day.

S.

Comment

I always thought that Toonstruck was a bit of a gem...Virgin spent all that money on Christopher Lloyd and nobody bought the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X