Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onimusha Blade Warriors

Got the game today - brief first impressions;

Four Modes to choose from Story, Fighting, Mini-game and practice, I went straight into Story.

A load of Characters to choose from, bad guys (zombies) to the main characters and others from previous Onimusha series. Load of unlockable characters too it seems as the character select some are blocked out, -aka Tekken style.

Into the game, you get briefed on what to do in each mission, kill number of monsters within time limit etc. I thought this game was gonna be like a straight 2d'ish beat em up when i first heard and seen screen of it, but as you progress it does definitely has concepts of PowerStone in it.

Most levels have layers of backgrounds you can go to by double-tapping up on the d-pad, or double-tap down to go lower a layer. Seems the concept of Neo Geo games: Fatal Fury, but with more layers.

Power-up are in chests as in PowerStone, comes in various forms, from Shurikens to spells.

Once you'ved defeated an enemy, they release their energies as in previous series, hold down the absorb button to retrieve them. Once you clear a level you get to max up your stats, Attack, Defense & Magic - just like previous series. You can choose to save your progress each time you've clear a level, found this abit odd at first but its prolly due to the maxing of the stats. Shame there is no auto-save option for this.

Graphically, its quite impressive, nice use of colors in the foresty levels and interactive scenery, blades of grass, trees that are hack-able. Animation is fluid, just like the previous games in fact.

Soundwise, nice use of effects along with music in the background, medieval Japanese-type tunes. The story cut-scenes are all dubbed in English, although tis abit of a shame you don't have option for the original language dialogue with English sub-titles.

Control-wise, i notice the game can only be played via the d-pad, analog sticks don't work, prolly better response from d-pad i imagine the developers had in mind or they've just stuck with the d-pad control as before.

As a one player game it seems pretty fun so far, loads of enemies on screen, the screen scales in and out quite abit, i notice it can be abit slow to zoom back out at times but apart from that i can see myself really getting into this game.

Multi-player will be a blast!

What do you lot think of it then?

Is it 4 player by any chance? I haven't followed this at all.

I thought this was a tekken

Comment

They hated it in OPM but I thought the idea was kind of cool. I here you can get more characters with an Onimusha 3 save.

Comment

I played this for a bit at Marcus' house a little while back 4 player, and thought it was dreadful. Ok it was about 6am and we had all been playing games since around lunch time the day before...but still, it was crap.

:/

Comment

Ahhh, on the last mission or so now i think, mission 10, against Nobunaga & his minions, seems a right pain the ass - looks like i aint got enough Attack/Defense pts which i'd need maxing, frustrating but i suppose it'll be a good challenge!

Comment

Ah done it, just a lil practice makes all the difference! Onto a different character now - each one has a certain amount of stages and cut-scenes relating to them. Had some very nice looking stages & some mean bosses - still, lots to unlock yet!

Comment

Working...
            X