gamesTM retro section, have your say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gamesTM retro section, have your say

As you may have been aware, the retro section of gamesTM has had several changes recently. I've now taken the section over from Keith and am interested in what you think of the section as it stands and if there are any additions or changes you'd like to see.

Please feel free to pm me with anything you'd like to say.

Darran

Please do a 10 page special on the Dreamcast!
    (My favourite console)

Nick

Comment

It's pretty good as it is atm tbh

Erm

Include Strider as a 2 page screenshot O_o

*gives up*

Comment

Do you remember Apogee? The old PC game developer from the early 90's that kinda merged or got destroyed or whatever with / from iD. They created Duke Nukem and loads of other really really cool 2D platform games for the PC. My favourites are Commander Keen, Monster Bash! and Wacky Wheels . I can send you them if you like, most had shareware releases (though you'd be hard pressed finding them now).

Comment

REALLY?! First Ive heard of it.
          Congratulations Mr Jones!

hmm, what Id like to see? A small feature on the following games:

Star Control 2 (3DO) - Think elite meets space war except so good youll want to spend ?100 on it and the system just to play it.
          A freeware PC remake is now available, but try track down the 3DO version.
          (should this prove too difficult, I may be willing to donate it...)

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (MSX2) - A classic Im sure youll agree.

Actually, an interesting feature, and if youve played all the previous Metal gear games youll know what Im talking about, could be showing all the things Kojima has reused in the MG games over the years.

MGS1 has perhaps only 20% actual new gameplay, the rest is borrowed from all the previous games, albeit with a polygon face lift.
          You might be able to make some startlingly accurate predictions regarding MGS3:SE by looking at previous games in the series.

I wont bore you with lists, but a quick completion of MG1 (NES and MSX versions), MG2SS (MSX2) and Snakes Revenge (NES) will throw up some startling info. Even Snakes revenge had alot borrowed by MGS2sol for example.

Otherwise, I really like the retro features as they are.
          Sometimes though, it can confusing theme wise, perhaps dedicate the entire months section to a single era?

Oh, and regular cover art features, always good to look at.

Perhaps a retro look at games mags over the years? (though I dont know if youd even be allowed to do that?)

Also, forgotten obscure games are always a good read, makes me curious to track them down.
          Perhaps elaborate on that, perhaps a genre that had great potential but was never really pushed any further.
          Played a wierd 2D snes game with some of the best rope physics Ive seen, you had to use a fishing rod to scale levels, kinda like SM's grappling beam, except rope-like and better. never seen anything else like it.

Small diagrams and pixelated sprites, Ive noticed them tucked away in places on the retro section, love it. Keeps the pages nicely filled, and it really works with the theme of older games, also gives you something to look for after reading the article.
          More of the same please.

Otherwise, its always been a nice read alongside the rest of the magazine, for heavens sake dont drop it, keeps things nicely balanced.

EDIT:
          for anyone interested in predictions for MGS3SE, heres an old topic I did:

Ignore the fact that it was poorly written. I was young and naive back then.

Comment

How about a feature on the worst games ever, if you haven't already done one?

I'd also love a giant picture of NiGHTs if you can feel like sticking one in somewhere. Pretty please?

Maybe some sort of head to head feature? The old SNES vs Megadrive debate... 3DO vs Jaguar, Saturn vs Playstation, NES vs SMS... the list goes on.

Comment

I really like the new Retro section, and as far as improvements go, most of what I could just suggest is merely "bigger, better, more". But I want to second Otaku84's suggestion: old games mags.

It'd be nice to see a page or two dedicated to a different old magazine every month (ACE and its daft "points out of a thousand" scoring system!), and perhaps a bit of "where are they now?" stuff (I know I never did find out where Duncan McDonald disappeared off to, although he reappeared on the back page of PC Zone recently, claiming to have been on a pirate ship or something).

I remember the magazines I used to read as fondly as the games I used to play, but they're a lot less easy to emulate.

Comment

Lose the classified ads bit? Waste of space IMO.
                How about a retro special on older PC games?

Comment

Do you remember Apogee? The old PC game developer from the early 90's that kinda merged or got destroyed or whatever with / from iD. They created Duke Nukem and loads of other really really cool 2D platform games for the PC. My favourites are Commander Keen, Monster Bash! and Wacky Wheels . I can send you them if you like, most had shareware releases (though you'd be hard pressed finding them now).
                  Actually they're not the same company as iD, but they published a lot of their earlier games.

I think gamesTM should definitely do a feature on shareware gaming from the early to mid 90s. You could cover all the cool Apogee stuff (I grew up on this) and some of the Epic MegaGames stuff too (Jazz Jackrabbit, Tyrian, One Must Fall 2097)...

Comment

OK the next person to take the piss out of the 3DO is gonna get a visit from Mr B Bat. Ok?

As for the retro section, all my buddies love the huge screen shots, and the gallery of screenshots (can't remember if they are still there) The dissapointiing bit are the American Ads that look like they've been lifted off the internet, I am sure finding UK Ads is impossible though.

I'll have another peruse tonight.

Comment

I never took the piss out of the 3DO, Star Control 2, Road Rash, Samurai Showdown, the system has plenty of hidden gems. Especially SC2, reason I own it.

I also second the losing of the clasifieds, how many times have we seen an ad for an ancient game for ?1. Itll never compare to ebay, and those 2 pages could be used on something so much more valuable.

Perhaps Japanese ads could be shown as well, some of them tend to be pretty insane.

Otherwise, its all good fun.

Comment

I agree a feature on shareware gaming would be great. Its pretty much how I founded my pc gaming and I think shareware gaming is why Doom is in the guiness book of records as the worlds most installed game or something. Do that or a feature on Lucasarts adventure games and I'll be over the moon

How about a monthly feature on guilty pleasures... every month one of the writers in GamesTm writes a little column about a game he/she absolutely adores but the rest of the world seems to hate...for example I love Atlanta Summer Olympics on the Snes but I have to admit its got poorly thought out controls and some of the worst music ever created!

It might also be interesting to look at horrific bugs and glitches in games...e.g. the bug in Silicon Valley on the N64 which meant you couldn't get the last trophy and therefore couldn't complete the game. Or the bug in one of the final Fights where as long as you stand at the right angle to the enemys you'd never get hit.

But as the retro section stands now its pretty good anyway, its not really missing anything. Keep up the good work!

Comment

I was really looking forward to the NGPC in the mag and when I saw the actual article, very disappointed by the size and just how little there was there. And the writer missed including Cardfighter Clash in the top 5 games, which is about as criminal as you can get for a system.

So basically, more detail, more words, more indepth, more pictures, more game analysis etc... if you decide to cover the Atari 7800 at any point (about the only console I really seriously collect for that you haven't covered yet) then I'd be happy to help out
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

for someone retro is the atari 2600 for others the Dreamcast.... difficult

I would like to see some old arcade games, and then anything from C64 to psx/saturn

Comment

Keep the feed back coming guys, it's really helpful.

With regards to Mayhem's comments on the NGPC article, I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, we're not able to delve into machines as much as we'd like and it's difficult to get a huge amount of coverage on just two pages.

Nevertheless, I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X