Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VS. Super Mario Bros! - Arcade

Never realised they've made an arcade version from NES!:

"It's the arcade port of Super Mario Bros. There are minor changes in most of the levels, and some are even hacks of Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan) levels. Among the changes include:

- More enemies added in most levels
    - Bug fixes/preventions
    - Less warp zones
    - New required paths in "maze levels"
    - Less power-up and 1-up chances

As you can see, it's a bit tougher (the idea is to take quarters from the kiddies, remember), but SMB veterans shouldn't have too hard of a time here. Though VsSMB is a step up in difficulty from SMB, it is definitely not as hard as SMB2(J)..."

Just had a go on this myself, after completing the NES version, and there seems to be slightly more animations on Mario. Also, in the NES version, the sprites flickered when 2-3 monsters were together, I wonder if it's the same in this version? - Will delve more into the game and see what other things added to it...

Never heard of a Playchoice 10 either?

Comment

Yes, i've heard of Playchoice 10, but isn't VS. SMB is different cos its been modified for Arcade, whereas all the other Playchoice games were exact NES games.

Comment

I know the arcade game didn't run on NES hardware. They had it at my local kebab house for years. I used play it most weeks along with Vandyke and Rolling Thunder 2.

There were definately some minor level design changes. I couldn't tell you what exactly because its so long ago since I played it and I didn't own a NES so I hardly noticed the changes.

There were a few people at the take away who could rinse the game. One part gave everybody trouble though. There's a really long gap in one of the later (non castle) levels. You have to take a blind leap to the right and hope you bounce on the turtle and cover the whole gap. He was moving left to right so it was very difficult to land on him just right, especially as you couldn't see him until you were mid-jump.

Comment

it's was bloody awful to play coz the crap buttons they put on the cabinet made it control clumbsily, I played it on holiday once.

Slightly related, did anyone else ever play the SNES Arcade cabinet? Had Super Mario World, Super Tennis and F-Zero on it, was 20p a pop when I saw it in scarborough years ago, expectin to get alot for my 20p worth (bein imo pretty good at mario world back then) was disgusted to find u acctually had a 2 minute timer to contend with as well as not dying despite having to control it with a hideous thing with a huge metal clamp on it as the pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeghead
            it's was bloody awful to play coz the crap buttons they put on the cabinet made it control clumbsily, I played it on holiday once.

Slightly related, did anyone else ever play the SNES Arcade cabinet? Had Super Mario World, Super Tennis and F-Zero on it, was 20p a pop when I saw it in scarborough years ago, expectin to get alot for my 20p worth (bein imo pretty good at mario world back then) was disgusted to find u acctually had a 2 minute timer to contend with as well as not dying despite having to control it with a hideous thing with a huge metal clamp on it as the pad.
            I played the SNES arcade cabinet at the Trocadero in London, back in 1992, a couple of months before the SNES was released in the UK. Like you said it was pretty pointless really and nothing more than a demo unit for people to sample the SNES in advance of it's european release.

Comment

The arcade version of Super Mario Bros defintely had a cheat like thing that's not in the NES version...
              If you complete a level with the time on exactly 0 the time bonus you get loops round back too 1000!
              This definitely isn't in the NES version!

Comment

Working...
              X