Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PAL PC-ENGINE, modding to make multi regional???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL PC-ENGINE, modding to make multi regional???

Is it possibel to mod a PAL PC-Engine so it can play carts from all regions?? I know you can get an adaptor for the NTSC systems so you can play JAP and US games but is there an adaptor for the PAL system? If there is will NTSC games be full screen and speed on a PAL system?

I don't think the PC Engine was ever released in PAL territories.

Comment

The PC Engine was Japan only.
      The Turbografix-16 was US.
      So there.

Comment

No, the PC-Engine was definately released in Europe. I have some old issues of 'The Games Machine', and there are adverts for it in there. Nor sure if it outputted a PAL or NTSC signal though.

Comment

It was never released outside of Japan. Those adverts were from an import company that claimed to have working (in the uk) PC Engines as around the time they were first imported (i was about 15) there were horror stories of machines over heating, and all sorts of out put problems.
          NEC even went as far as to place ad's in ACE and other mags of the time warning people away from them, and shifting all responsibility away from them, as they were from NEC Japan.

Comment

I have a PAL Turbo Graphx 16. It comes with an NEC UK manual that confirms it is a PAL machine. It will play any US game (with an adaptor for Japanese games). It outputs a PAL RF signal but I have only tried it with component cable (full screen not sure about speed). Telegames UK also sell PAL Core Graphx 2 (?329.99).

Comment

there is a PAL tg-16

Comment

Originally posted by Cripper
                I have a PAL PC Engine Core Graphx 2. It comes with an NEC manual that confirms it is a PAL machine. It will play any US game (with an adaptor for Japanese games). It outputs a PAL RF signal but I have only tried it with component cable. Telegames UK sell them. I bought mine on ebay
                Do you know if you play NTSC games on the PAL system if their full screen or do they have boarders and are slower??

Comment

Originally posted by Cripper
                  I have a PAL PC Engine Core Graphx 2. It comes with an NEC manual that confirms it is a PAL machine. It will play any US game (with an adaptor for Japanese games). It outputs a PAL RF signal but I have only tried it with component cable. Telegames UK sell them. I bought mine on ebay
                  So ask yourself why NEC, in all thier wisdom, released a console for the european market (PAL) and not one single game.
                  I wouldn't trust Telegames as far as i could throw them. Look at thier prices. The place is a ****ing joke.

Comment

There IS a PAL TG-16. Both Lik Sang and Play Asia have had them in stock within the last year.

Looks like a US TG-16, but it has blue and red colours instead of the red and yellow stuff on the US version of the console.

Comment

Whats the difference between the Core Graphx 1 and 2? Is the Core Graphx just a different name for the PC-Engine? or was it different inside?

Comment

Originally posted by paveynick
                        It was never released outside of Japan. Those adverts were from an import company that claimed to have working (in the uk) PC Engines as around the time they were first imported (i was about 15) there were horror stories of machines over heating, and all sorts of out put problems.
                        NEC even went as far as to place ad's in ACE and other mags of the time warning people away from them, and shifting all responsibility away from them, as they were from NEC Japan.
                        The Engine was released in both the USA and France.
                        Why are you giving such crappy information?

Comment

The white Engine?
                          If im wrong im wrong, but i remember those adverts from NEC, as i was close to importing one.
                          (crappy?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger
                            The Engine was released in both the USA and France.
                            I though it was the Core Grafx, not the white engine that enjoyed a USA release?

Comment

The US Turbo Grafx 16 was something different again, it resembles a black double width white PC Engine, presumably because Americans couldn't get their heads round something smaller than a Mega Drive being any good.

I'm fairly sure the original white PC engine and Core Grafx were not released outside of Japan as Paveynick says. I know there is the pal TG-16, but I didn't think that was released in any European countries. MD will know for sure.

The adverts in The Games Machine were for grey imports, Japanese white PC Engine with a 240v psu and dodgy RGB mod.

There is a decent roundup of PC Engine versions on Raven Games:

I remember a pal white PC Engine being available in Birmingham, it had a big nasty red ntsc -> pal converter plugged into the back which was 1/2 the length of the machine itself. I'm not sure how official it was, but I was told the pal adaptor was made by NEC, so I can only imagine it was for whatever territory uses pal at 60Hz (I forget now).

Comment

Working...
                              X