Fighter Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighter Overload

I recently took the plunge and picked up a Neo Geo MVS system. And now I can't stop buying / playing fighters.

So far I have

King of Fighters 99
    Samurai Spirits 3
    Real Bout 2
    Last Blade

I'm liking all of the games, but since I'm totally pants at fighters which one should I cut my teeth on? I still find it difficult to dragon punch reliably and some of the deeper tactics are completely lost on me tbh. I need something that will give me a basic grounding in the skills required.

If you really get into your fighters check Garou out, and it can be found on ebay for ?35 ish. And if you like KOF get '98, as it is great

Skill wise it's the usual Street Fighter kinda inputs for the moves. If you like SF you should feel at home with KOF and Real Bout 2.

Comment

Yeah, get MOTW and '98. I only had to pay about ?340 to get them on AES, so don't be a cheapskate and get them on MVS NOW

Comment

I simply can't afford that much cash. That's why I've gone the MVS route. I'd rather spend that kind of money getting a JAMMA cab than a single AES home cart.

Just my preference.

Peeps bang on about KoF98, but is it really all that different to 99. Obviously it has a bigger character roster and doesn't have the striker system, but are there any major differences?

I think my biggest weekness is my failure to execute combos. Does everyone consult moves faqs for these or is it trial and error?

Comment

'98 just feels far more characteristic to me. Terry can do a Power Slam into Rising Tackle (a ****ing killer if you get it right) straight from one to the other, which he obviously can't do in '99 coz of the different moves list. I prefer the music too. Definately better than '99, as it's got the "Advanced/Extra" dodging mechanism as well.

Advanced means by pressing 1+2 you do a roll, but Extra means by pressing 1+2 you do a sidestep, from which you can counterattack. It's just more personal than '99. Play it and see

Comment

OK, I'm sold, so 98 is on the shopping list. What else.

Personally I think that Last Blade is excellent and I've been playing this a bit recently. Simply great fun.

I'm tempted with Waku Waku 7 too as that just looks insane. Although judging by the posts from you guys I should be seriously considering MOTW.

Does MOTW feature the 2 plane system found in Real Bout 2 or does it all take place in one plane?

Is it worth me going back to an old title like KoF 95 or 96 to master the basics before I get bogged down with all the ins and outs of these modern fighters?

Comment

I wouldn't bother going back to the roots. That's like playing Street Fighter 2 before playing Third Strike - each game introduces something that's only really used in that game. Get '98, then you won't need anything else.

Plus at the next meet I'll have some competition on it ^_^

Comment

Waku Waku is a great game and is also nuts like you say.

Ninja Masters is also worth getting, liked that one a lot.

Comment

kof98 is better than 99 simply because it doesnt have any of that strikers bull**** and the game is just more balanced

Comment

get MOTW, its awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Boogaloo
                      I wouldn't bother going back to the roots. That's like playing Street Fighter 2 before playing Third Strike - each game introduces something that's only really used in that game. Get '98, then you won't need anything else.

Plus at the next meet I'll have some competition on it ^_^
                      OK so MOTW is on the list too.

Boog to be honest I'm playing with K' , Terry and Mai on 99 atm and I'm sucking big time, not to mention K' isn't in 98. So you should be able to hand my arse to me on a plate many times over.

Now if we had a head to head who can shout loudest at a meet competition I would PWN you.

Comment

Madbury,

I know what you mean. I bought an MVS and went fighter crazy.

I would personally recommend getting Rage Of The Dragons.

It's probably my most played game after KOF 2003.

Why?

First of all this game is HARD. Really, really hard, even on setting 1. This was the first fighting game I spent any significant time with. It simply won't allow you to progress until you get good.

Button mashing won't even get you past the first opponent.

The timing is very strict on specials and supers. This means you have to have the move input perfectly in order for it to come out. After playing a few hours of ROTD, I went back to KOF98 and my game had improved massively.

Combos are easy to perform in ROTD. This is a good grounding in timing and it feels good when you can string long combos together.

The downside is that ROTD is massively broken for multiplayer. Once your opponent has you in a combo you're never coming out.

For single player though it's the business.I's also real cheap as a full MVS kit at the moment and with a little mod you can get it to work on single slot MVS boards (works ok on my MV1-Z after the solder fix mod).

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury

I simply can't afford that much cash. That's why I've gone the MVS route. I'd rather spend that kind of money getting a JAMMA cab than a single AES home cart.
                          If I could get a Neo-29 instead of a couple of AES games, I would. I can't, though. I won't settle for some standard crappy JAMMA cabinet.

Comment

Dont know if you've seen but theres a guy on ebay selling neo candy 29s for about ?250 then probably another ?150 shipping on top.....

Also whats the craic about that ROTD MVS cart not normally working in a 1 slot MVS mobo?

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
                              Now if we had a head to head who can shout loudest at a meet competition I would PWN you.

ppffft, I was the Halo shouting mastar

I'm about to get a rebate on my pension, and considering to get a heavyweight Neo Geo game. Aready trying to get Metal Slug 2 for cheap(Zaki Matar isn't having any of it though ^_^ ) and also considering AES King of Fighters 2003.

Why don't you try to get good with Kyo? He's in almost all KoF and Garou games (FF) and he's pretty damn amazing in the right hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X