Mario Golf GBA Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mario Golf GBA Tour

I managed to grab 30 mins on this last night and can safely report that it is tops.

It plays VERY similarly to Mario Golf TT on GC and is also graphically very similar which means excellent. Top notch presentation and loads of options (in Jap on my copy).

The RPG mode is very confusing at the moment. I played for 10 mins and didn't even get to hit a ball. I'd wait for the English versions. Just seemed to wander around the clubhouse with my friends in tow chatting to people.

Haven't tried link-up to the GC yet as I sold my Mario Golf TT a while ago and haven't managed to pick one up cheap yet.

Sounds promising.
    Is it like the old gameboy version where you control a human character and play against the old faves like Mario, Donkey Kong, etc in the RPG mode?

Comment

Can't wait to get my copy, I have been looking forward to this for some time now. Just waiting for dave123 to get his in stock.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned they could have just stuck the GBC version on a GBA sized cartridge and I'd have bought it. The idea that this could actually be an improvement over that is quite scary.

But I can't wait to find out...!

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
          Sounds promising.
          Is it like the old gameboy version where you control a human character and play against the old faves like Mario, Donkey Kong, etc in the RPG mode?
          Yes, although I didn't get far in the RPG mode it did look very familiar.

Comment

Great game this and the connectivity with the GC version is just excellent.
            You can import your characters from the RPG mode and use them on the Gamecube version. Once you've uploaded them, they're saved on your memory card permanently just like any other unlockable character.
            They start off as mediocre players, but you can earn EXP points to improve them by either beating the challenges and minigames in the RPG mode, or by winning tournaments. The EXP points can then be "spent" in a shop-like enviroment on categories like power, accuracy etc to make your player's skills better.

The cool thing about this, is the fact that the EXP points can be earned in either game (GC or GBA) and transferred back and forth to continually build up your players and unlock more stuff in each version- I've unlocked 7 courses in the GBA version already.

Language barrier isn't too bad IMO as most menu options have little symbols to identify them...if you can handle a JP version of Mariokart, you can handle this. Even the RPG mode is quite easy to understand and play after a bit of familiarisation.

If you liked the Gamecube version, you have to get this

Comment

I assume that JPN GBA characters won't upload to a US Toadstool Tour?

Comment

Kubrick i have both the japanese GC and GBA mario golf but cant seem to find how to link up the two, to upload the new characters(wheres the option?)

great game btw

Comment

I'm not sure exactly how I got them linked-up in the first place...I'm pretty sure I just had to plug in a link cable (a proper link-cable, not that infa-red thing) and turn on the GBA. I can't remember doing anything fancy to connect them up anyway.

After saving to the memory card, a "GBA" option appears on the main menu of the GC version- I just select that from now on and it shares the info between the machines. After initially linking them together, a "GC" option also appeared in the GBA game's "extras" menu (Star). I can view the stats from my GC save file there.

I don't have a US version handy, so no idea about compatability with that I'm afraid.

Comment

Am I alone in thinking the swing meter from the N64 game was absolute garbage and that the GBC version was actually by far the superior game?

After an afternoon on the text-heavy Japanese version, I'm just not feeling the same love as with the GBC version. It's hilarious though how the RPG bits are basically Golden Sun with 9 Irons though.

Wireless link-up is the future, though.

Comment

Is there any point in uploading these characters to the GC when you've unlocked everything in MGTT?

Comment

Probably not...but maybe. I started more or less from scratch on both games as I lost my old GC save (was for the US version anyway).
                        I guess it depends how high you can eventually level up the players...if you can boost them up so they're better than everyone else in the game, then it might be worth doing it.

One of mine is at level 43 so far and can strike the ball an above-average distance.

Comment

The English version is out soon. Very soon infact, so the RPG elements can now be tested.

Comment

How playable is the japanese version with the text.

Comment

The US version was out yesterday, I think its quite text heavy so I don't know if the JP version is a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X