Hitman Contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitman Contracts

Took delivery of this yesterday; not bad, but not quite the improvement over it's predecessor I had been hoping for. For all intents and purposes, it's Hitman: Silent Assassin with new missions. My initial impressions weren't favourable; Agent 47 feels like he's floating when walking at times, it wasn't until I panned the camera from a top-down perspective to actually confirm he was walking. Aesthetically, I think its quite poor; the XBox is capable of better. But having just finished Ninja Gaiden and moving straight into Hitman Contracts, this may have affected my view somewhat. However, the cut-scene visuals are extremely poor; grainy, blocky and generally, not very nice to look at IMO.

In anycase, with these idiosyncrasies aside, I completed a few of the early missions (the second mission is based in a Meat Locker, which doubles up as Fetish Club). I had fun completing the objectives, which much like it's predecessor, see's you obtaining information, wasting certain people etc. I must have replayed the first-stage a number of times, trying to attain Silent Assassin status, but it wasn't to be.

In-game AI seems more intelligent; guards will carefully survery you as you walk past (if in disguise), anything out of the ordinary, such as the wrong weapon, then expect a full-on assault within minutes. If they discover any dead bodies, then again, the guards will be alerted that an imposter lies in their midst. It's a challenging experience, especially if you try to attain Silent Assassin status and not Mass Murderer, like myself.

It could've done with a lot more polish though IMO.

I didn't like either of the first two and I certainly don't like this one.

It plays like a retarded hit-and-miss puzzle game, still. Will doing this get me killed? **** knows, but I'll try anyway! *bang* *restart*

I just forced myself to beat level two, and I still hate it. What makes the developers think a fetish party in a butchery with skanky bloody-dripping meat hanging off the walls is fun/clever/good/artistic? They've done nothing to persuade people who didn't like the first two to like this one. Nowt.

The surround sound is good though, and the graphics are pretty kosher for something multiplatform. About as fun as stabbing my face though.

Comment

Hhehe, its more of the same really, what else can you really expect from this series - I mean it's an Eidos product - like Lara, they'll milk this series much as they can. Plus, surprise surprise! @_@ a movie will be coming out too based on the game!...ahem...

Talking of killing in games, Manhunt seems really nice indeed, for XBox, faster smoother graphics, more detailed textures, higher res and 5.1 sounds, can't really go wrong. Loved the PS2 version.

Comment

Originally posted by edandersen
        I didn't like either of the first two and I certainly don't like this one.

It plays like a retarded hit-and-miss puzzle game, still. Will doing this get me killed? **** knows, but I'll try anyway! *bang* *restart*
        No, that would be Splinter Cell, where any deviation from its strict ideas on what you must do next results in instant Game Over and the need to restart. The previous game in contrast, offered several ways to complete stages (St Petersburg offered you the option of car bombs or sniping from almost a mile away) but nearly always allowed the player to take the 'go ape**** and execute everyone' option if things went pear-shaped and it was the only way the player could progress. However, if the player showed the patience and intelligence to get to the target without detection, then they would be rewarded with the silent assassin rating and various special weapons. The game provided plenty of replay value in that regard and stages like the afforementioned St Petersburg or the infiltrating the Yakuza miniboss's home or the geeky hacker's basement were excellently designed and thoroughly rewarding to play.

From what I've heard on Contracts, it's very much more of the same and something of a disappointment in graphical terms (badly animated, yes?) but the level design follows on from its predecessor. Nothing earth-shattering then, but enjoyable enough for fans of the series.

Comment

I was a massive fan of hitman 2. Gaining SA ratings on all but 2 levels.

Unfortunately I too am pretty dissapointed with Hitman Contracts. The enimation is terrible, the character models dire and the actual texture resolution seems WORSE than in 2.

On top of that, the first two levels seem pretty uninspired. I knew what i had to do to kill fatty in the meatlocker but just couldnt work out exactly HOW to do it. Bad game design in my eyes.

Here's hoping it gets better.

Comment

I dont know about the XBrick version but i have it on my PC running on my current setup, and it looks fairly nice. Big graphical improvement over it's predacessor

Comment

Just got this today for PC

Have only done the first level but loving it so far

DjSatansfury is right, it looks lovely

Much more like the first game, which is a good thing IMO

Comment

Feels like a figure skating sim to me as for the first person view...those arms, absolutely terrible.

Comment

Working...
                X