Transformers (not the latest one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transformers (not the latest one)

Really good, actually. From a beginning that suggests a 'decent' game to come, the level of depth and variety increases very steadily and very satisfyingly. A good few nods to Halo in terms of enemy AI and terrain, but overall a great example of how to fully exploit a single genre.

+ the frame rate is, for the most part, very solid
    + despite only offering three characters the game perfectly captures the appeal and potential of 'being a Transformer'
    + control system is extremely intuitive - near faultless, in fact
    + textures and models are exceptional
    + the Minicon system of powering up works extremely well
    + levels are monstrously large and well designed
    + the suggestion of scale in the game is handled magnificently - the boss encounter wih Tidal Wave will have your jaw on the ground
    + tonnes of unlockables, some of which are hilarious
    + good musical score which references the original Transformers theme to good effect

- some of the terrain can be deceptively steep, leading to a few frustrating 'slips'
    - some challenges require persistence and patience to say the least
    - as yet, no unlockable characters and very little chance of you actually being able to play as a decepticon
    - it's the 'new' Transformers, so don't expect to recognise many people by anything more than name (Starstream remains cool, however)

Originally posted by Inertia_
    So you most view games in Staccato Strobe-o-Vibro Vision? Cool, where can I obtain such wondrous ocular bionic implants?

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
      Originally posted by Inertia_
      So you most view games in Staccato Strobe-o-Vibro Vision? Cool, where can I obtain such wondrous ocular bionic implants?
      Okay you don't like this game...we get it...now please stop....pretty please?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamylittledream
        Okay you don't like this game...we get it...now please stop....pretty please?
        I quite enjoyed it actually, I am just astounded how easily it is being overrated. The frame rate is pretty bad, to the extent that it made several of my work colleagues nauseous and that is the least of the game's faults.

It's a mildly fun license cash cow and by no means a definiable game in its own right.

Comment

Can you tell me if there is a lock-on/auto-target option on the standard weapons of the 3 autobots (or other main robots)?

Comment

if anyone's managed to get their hands on a uk copy of this already, does it have a 60hz option, is it fullscreen at 50hz, or is the ps2 honoured to play host to *yet* another lazy conversion? ...'cause i'm kinda tempted by it, but i can't bloody stand bordervision. thanks!

Comment

The UK version does have a 60hz option.

Comment

thanks! looks like i'll be picking this up tomorrow, then...

Comment

got this game yesterday and it looks like
                  i will enjoy this very much
                  i am at level 4 and just got my wing minibot

great stuff

Comment

sweet game. The use of the vehicle transformations solely to aid speedy movement on the map is a bit wasted. And those ravines? Just tedious.
                    Level four so far and hardly any slowdown for me/

Comment

Got through the first level so far and i must agree with whats been said about the level design. It really is very good and the first level feels very Halo esque with its rolling hills, its the first game ive played in a long time to get me really immersed. Theres a real impression of scale in the Amazon level and i found myself turning around and looking all the places far below me that id been earlier. The jungle too is impressive with lush grass on the ground and a thick covering of trees.
                      I would agree though that the framerate dips significantly during combat. Its a real shame and does take the gloss off a very polished game

Comment

How the heck do you get to the boat?

Comment

Originally posted by majin morpheus
                          How the heck do you get to the boat?
                          Originally posted by spoiler

Level 4, with the battle ship?
                          If its that one just go round the long way across the island and pick up the glider minicon. Keep going that way round until you reach the peak closest to the battleship. Jump then glide onto it.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

After all the hype and coverage in Edge I expected something exceptional. Sadly it is just a reasonable game with many flaws and little inovation and ambition.

I may pick it up when it hits the bargain bins, but theres no way it justifies 30 of my precious pounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X