Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the rarest, most desirable, most collectable game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the rarest, most desirable, most collectable game?

I'm thinking along the lines of Radiant Silvergun for the Saturn, or Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Can you think of rarer examples?

Euro. Kizuna Encounter for the Neo AES.

Comment

Also Mail Plane for the Vectrex.

It's hard to say which of these games are the rarest as so few of them are in existance that they are all equally rare. They also never come up for auction either, so their value can only be guessed at.

I think only 4 or 5 Mail Plane cartridges actually ever existed, and only as prototypes.

Comment

Neither of them (in the original post) are actually particularly rare, just highly priced due to supply/demand/hype (though CT is a classic game).

I'd almost say the Euro version of Kizuna Encounter if it wasn't for the fact it's identical to the Japanese version (dual language ROMs you see). Thinking of something unique to one region, or desirable no matter where it comes from here.

Given current trends, definitely Ultima: Mount Drash on the Vic20. Pocket Reversi UK complete for NGPC perhaps. Quadrun for Atari 2600; actually there's several 2600 titles I could list including Crazy Climber, Eli's Ladder, Air-Raid and Malagai. But Quadrun is actually a pretty decent game in its own right.
        Last edited by Mayhem; 20-05-2004, 14:30.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Heh. Excellent responses so far -- thanks. I haven't even heard of most of these.

Comment

That PC Engine Darius you could only get through collecting bottle tops or whatever. Darius Alpha?

Comment

Crazy thing is I know at least one person who owns at least one of the games listed so far

A few points about some of them though, stuff like RS, CT and even Pocket Reversi, is that, they are all "out there", sitting nicely in someones house/warehouse. I knew of a bloke who had over 500 Pocket Reversi's in his warehouse (this was about four years ago mind) and CT can be found in quite a few stores across the US (albeit unboxed and usually in ****e condition).

Saying that, I think its the quality/quantity of the collection rather than a singular game which is the attractive part of anyones collection. I know loads of people who own Radiant Silvergun, but when you start showing off a mint (with spine's) Game Paradise LE, Sengoku Blaede, Stellar Assault and Hyper Duel alongside it with a V-Saturn running it all, it becomes a different matter

The personal pride and joy in my collection is my Sonic 10th Anniversary DC signed by Yuji Naka himself - does that count though?

Comment

Originally posted by gordon
                I'm thinking along the lines of Radiant Silvergun for the Saturn
                Nah, Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru is much rarer, more expensive, more collectable and almost certainly more desirable than RSG.
                Crows Battle Action is rarer than RSG, but not as expensive(although one did break the $200 barrier last year).

I still refuse to believe that RSG is as rare as it's made out to be, it's one of the easiest to find of "rare" games

I don't know much apart from other consoles except the Euro version of Kizuna Encounter on the Neo Geo is ridiculously expensive. As in over $10,000!

The Ooze and Comix Zone are very expensive on the Mega Drive (they are the 2 rarest games iirc). What's very funny is that Comix Zone will set you back a fortieth the price of the JPN version if you buy a PAL one. JPN MD collecting is a funny game, a few of the games are much more expensive than the PAL/US variants. As much as I love JPN games it doesnt make sense to go for a JPN MD collection(for me).

I was under the impression that Rendering Ranger R2 was the rarest of SNES/SFC games. I don't know for sure though, I'm not a ninty man
                Last edited by Geezer; 20-05-2004, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                  That PC Engine Darius you could only get through collecting bottle tops or whatever. Darius Alpha?
                  Yeah, that's Darius Alpha, which is just a boss fest of other Darius games. There are a few hundred in existance, it's rarer that CT but no rarer than the say the competition version of Starfox.

Crazy thing is I know at least one person who owns at least one of the games listed so far
                  You know someone with Mail Plane?

Comment

You know someone with Mail Plane?

I got to meet a LOT of games geeks in my last job. From people obsessed with the Jaguar (and I mean OBSESSED!), to NASA engineers who carry pics of their Vectrex collection in their wallets, and couples who dressed up as characters from Resident Evil on the weekends.

The Nasa engineer was the person in question who had the legit copy of Mail Plane as well.
                    Last edited by turq; 20-05-2004, 15:10.

Comment

If you want to talk Neo Geo rare, we're talking Fun Fun Bros. and Ghostlop - developed titles that were canned before released but somehow obtained and put onto ROMs, then made-up into carts by collectors in the manner of a sac cart conversion. Rumour has it.

We're probably not talking monetarily-rare in the case of these two, though. No matter how good a home-built version of an official title is, it'll never fetch as much as an official release.
                      Last edited by Treble; 20-05-2004, 15:24.

Comment

Derinpa Deluxe is to the best of my knowledge the rarest of the Saturn games.

There is also some mathematics title on the PCE that is the rarest of titles for that. I knocked one back because I didn't want to pay 2 grand for an unplayable japanese mathematics title.

Yet I paid well over a grand for Quiz Chibi on the Neo Geo. This is the rarest of the Official Neo Geo games.

Radiant Silvergun is like the first metal slug. You will get one easily if you can afford it. It's certainly not rare and is highly priced because of the hype and the fact that it's one of the best games on the system.

Comment

@Turq - probably the same individual that I was told who has a Mail Plane then. Damned if I can remember his name though.

500 Pocket Reversi?! 8O

You sure they were complete UK versions? Anything apart from having a copy with clamshell box, manual and English language game on the cart all together is worth diddly...
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Don't know about the most, but where would Great Giana Sisters fare? It was unceremoniously deleter after all...

Comment

Pokemon Mini Tetris seems to be as rare as rocking horse **** in the UK, as it only seemed to get released in a few countries.

I think there is a difference between rare and desirable, i mean Bubbler on the Sinclair Spectrum is ****e but still sells for over ?50-60 it cant be that rare as theres one every week on ebay at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X