Ultimate Play The Game - Spectrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate Play The Game - Spectrum

Seems to be a lack of websites that list all the know releases of Spectrum ultimate games so here is a brief list(!).

Single Tape - Single Tape Box
    Cardboard Box - Cardboard box, similar to the Cardboard boxes used by Sinclair Research with high quality instruction manual (sheet...)
    Double Tape - Double Tape Box, normally contains Ultimate branded Tape Cleaner (say normally as Bubbler and Martianoids only had the cleaner in the first prints). Also published by US Gold.
    Sinclair Silver Release - Published by Sinclair Research in a single tape box, have a silver top and border hence the Silver release.
    ROM Cartridge - In Interface II ROM cartridge format, published by Sinclair Research in a cardboard box.
    Ricochet Re-Release - Released in Single tape box by Mastertronic.
    Ultimate Play The Game: The Collected Works - US Gold. Contains 11 games on 2 Tapes also has a poster of original T Stamper artwork, the Interview given in crash, instructions for all the games, a plastic bag for all that lot and a nice largish cardboard box to keep it all safe in.
    Master Games - Unbelievable! Ultimate 1
    Master Games - Unbelievable! Ultimate 2 - Both these published by US Gold and contain 4 games on 2 tapes.

They were also published in the following collections.

Gremlin Graphics
    4 Crash Smashes
    Star Games 2

Activision
    Kidsplay

Ocean
    They Sold a Million
    They Sold a Million 2

US Gold
    Master Games - Spectrum Stingers
    The Gold Collection 2
    The Gold Collection 3

Atic Atac and Lunar Jetman also support the Currah Microspeech device. ^_^

Now the list...

Alien 8 - Cardboard Box (1985), 4 Crash Smashes (1986), Ricochet Re-Release (1987), Unbelievable! Ultimate 2 (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Atic Atac - Single Tape (1984), Unbelievable! Ultimate 2 (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Bubbler - Double Tape (1987) (only game not to be re-released in anything...)

Cookie - 16K, Single Tape (1983), Sinclair Silver Release (1984), ROM Cartridge (1984), Collected Works (1988)

Cyberun - Double Tape (1986), Spectrum Stingers (1987), Star Games 2 (1987)

Gunfright - Double Tape (1986), Collected Works (1988)

Jetpac - 16K, Single Tape (1983), Sinclair Silver Release (1984), ROM Cartridge (1984), Ricochet Re-Release (1987), Unbelievable! Ultimate 1 (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Knight Lore - Cardboard Box (1984), Gold Collection 2 (1986), They Sold a Million 2 (1986), Ricochet Re-Release (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Lunar Jetman - Single Tape (1984), Unbelievable! Ultimate 1 (1987), Kidsplay (Activision) (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Martianoids - Double Tape (1987), Gold Collection 3 (1987)

Nightshade - Cardboard Box (1985), Ricochet Re-Release (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Pentagram - Double Tape (1986), Gold Collection 2 (1986)

Pssst - 16K, Single Tape (1983), Sinclair Silver Release (1984), ROM Cartridge (1984), Unbelievable! Ultimate 1 (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Sabre Wulf - Cardboard Box (1984), They Sold a Million (1985), Unbelievable! Ultimate 2 (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Tranz Am - 16K, Single Tape (1983), Sinclair Silver Release (1984), ROM Cartridge (1984), Unbelievable! Ultimate 1 (1987), Collected Works (1988)

Underwurlde - Cardboard Box (1984), Unbelievable! Ultimate 2 (1987)

Next Ultimate games on ROM Cartridges on the MSX in Japan....

Atic Atac and Lunar Jetman also support the Currah Microspeech device. ^_^
    Never knew that, i'll have to give it a try. I've a got Microspeech somewhere.

Excellent list btw, do you have them all ?

Comment

Out of them it would appear i own:

Jetpac - 16K, Single Tape (1983),

Nothing else though :P

Comment

I seem to remember that the very first issues of Jetpac were actually printed with the companies ACG logo rather than the Ultimate: Play the Game trading name. I think these may just have been versions given to freinds and stuff and never properly released.

Comment

Aah Ultimate games, great memories, I can even smell the boxes they started using with Sabre Wulf onwards if I close my eyes and think back, I even remember having a huge argument with my Dad over the price of Sabre Wulf in a WH Smiths in Darlington years (I was only 9 or 10) ago as it was the first ?9.99 game relased by them but I digress...

I'd have to do a bit of digging but I know I've got quite a few knocking about somewhere. Definitely got Psst, Trans-Am, Atic-Atac, JetPac, Lunar Jetman, Sabre Wulf, Underwurlde, Knight Lore, Gunfright, Night Shade and Cyber summit (though I think that was after they sold the brand to US Gold and was bit rubbish) in their original guises. Must dig 'em out and see what else is there...

Comment

Seems like I missed out on a lot of Ultimate goodness.

I only ever played Jetpac, Pssst, Atic Atac and Sabre Wulf.

They all had such charm and that distinctive graphical look, which set them apart from the crowd. Awesome. I think out of that lot Jetpac was my fave. I remember looping that for the first time.

Comment

Bit of trivia: Knight Lore was finished before Sabre Wulf, but they thought if they released it first, Sabre Wulf wouldn't sell as well.

Regards
              Marty

Comment

What a year that was !

Comment

I got the collected works lyin about somewhere, doubt it's complete tho, jus the games an manuals (with a tea stain on thanks to my sister) an possibly a few of the bits an bobs. been up in loft for years tho ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
                    I seem to remember that the very first issues of Jetpac were actually printed with the companies ACG logo rather than the Ultimate: Play the Game trading name. I think these may just have been versions given to freinds and stuff and never properly released.
                    The initial very limited release of Jetpac did have the ACG logo on the front(it's also the most sought after along with the rom carts)before they changed their name to Ultimate they were called Ashby Computers & Graphics LTD or something along those lines.
                    I love every game they produced on the Spectrum and still play them today Sabre Wulf being my favourite.

Comment

Cheers Fuzzybee, I thought that was the case but I couldn't find anything on Google. I know it is very valuable and I'd love to have a copy.

Comment

I just brought one of the Silver Cookie's for ?5, the guy was selling other ultimate rare games for ?30-35 strange he only priced this one at ?5 on a Buy it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser
                          I just brought one of the Silver Cookie's for ?5, the guy was selling other ultimate rare games for ?30-35 strange he only priced this one at ?5 on a Buy it now.
                          The only version of cookie thats rearlly worth anything is the rom cartridge, ?5 isn't a bad price though for such a classic retro game.

Comment

I've seen the silver games go for ?10-15 lately, but i know what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser
                              I've seen the silver games go for ?10-15 lately, but i know what you mean.
                              Thats ebay for you, last week i was watching 2 copies of SFIII Third strike on pal DC, they ended five minutes apart both were mint, one sold for ?32 the other for ?18 ??? go figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X