X-Files: Resist or Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-Files: Resist or Serve

Right, picked this up last friday and been playing through it since then, and, well, if you like the show you should like this. It's shamelessly rips off Resident Evil 2 and Silent Hill, but if you're gonna nick stuff might as well do it from the best.

The game is set over three episodes of the show fitting in, I think between seasons 6 and 7. As I said, it's mainly Resident Evil 2, in that you can tackle each episode from either the perspective of Mulder or Scully. They both have their own route through the episodes, interconnecting and joining up at certain points in each show.

It's nicely done, eerie in places with some jumpy moments. The story is good, concerning a small town where everyone who has died is coming back to life, and is all tied in with some government tests gone wrong and the black oil.

Control is fully analogue (unlike RE) and the camera is more Eternal Darkness and Code Veronica. I tracks with you but you can't change it a la Silent Hill. This does lead to a few moments of being attacked from off screen but on the whole it works pretty well. The puzzles are also ok in that there's nothing head scratchingly hard about them so far, yet they fall into real world rules and not find two green jewels to put in the statues eyes to get the key to open the door etc of Resident Evil games.

Looks wise, it's no oil painting, but it suffices with a nice torch effect and Mulder and Scully are recognisable, if a little wooden. Voices are all from the show as well, so this adds a huge layer of atmosphere to the whole thing.

Boss encounters are quite varied and interesting, and the monster design so far is just zombified town folk. Nothing too innovative, but again it keeps the whole thing grounded in the real world setting.

Like I said, if you like the show get it. You'll have a blast. It also boasts a 16:9 option and Pro Logic II for those with the correct set up. No 60hz option but this is hardly a fast action game so doesn't really need it. It does have big borders, but not sure if they're being used in the same way as the borders in Beyond Good and Evil, to create a more cinematic effect, or to keep the speed up. The final thumbs up is that it's only ?16 from Asda and play.com.
Working...
X