Adventure & Survival Horror through the ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventure & Survival Horror through the ages

I stumbled across a budget game on the Playstation in the supermarket for ?9.95 by Cryo today that looked interesting. It was based on an HP Lovecraft style setting in the North East of America in and around New England.

I'm trying to find the name of it and also wanted to talk about Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare on the DC and if it was worth a visit plus generally discuss the progression of adventure style gaming from the 8 bit to 128 bit systems?

Any favourite tales from Citidel on the BBC, to The Immortal, Shadowlands or Cadaver on the Amiga? What's your favourite adventure style game? What are some of the second and third tier titles that might have slipped some people by that are worth a look? Is POP a worthy reinvention & evolution of the old 2D room to room puzzle mechanic or a completley new genre altogether? Can you actually remember being frightened by any games on your 8-bit of choice?

I recall playing Dracula on my Spectrum, a text only adventure game but one which was quite effective back in the day. If Aliens was classed as a survival horror game, then that too was another example of a brilliantly suspenseful 8-bit horror game. Ive not played AITD, I think we have a review of it onsite however if its any use.

Comment

first game to really **** me up was a cross between ET on the atari or Friday the 13th on the C64. That Friday 13th really shat me up. The cracky effect that is the scream really scared the hell out of me ! UHH! nuthin really comes close these days, well........ till silent hill 4 that is!

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
        If Aliens was classed as a survival horror game, then that too was another example of a brilliantly suspenseful 8-bit horror game. Ive not played AITD, I think we have a review of it onsite however if its any use.
        I remember that on the speccy and it was very scary even though the graphics were a bit crap.

I think the only survival horror I've played through to completion is the fantastic "Deep Fear" on the Saturn. Think Biohazard, but underwater with a limited oxygen supply and you're on your way to understanding how great this game is. My only gripe is that it was a bit too short.

Comment

i was really dissapointed with Deep fear the controls and monsters were a bit crap. I guess its the overall presentation. I cant understand why this would be your fave survival horror game madbury, as the oxygen thingy was more annoying than anything else. What did make me think ewww was the big heffa that wa the cow. Mooky was annoying too. Alone in the Dark was very creepy at the time. Cos of the sudden strange noises and the instant death traps. It was a lot of trial and error moments id say. Enemy Zero was interesting and to some degree scary ish.

Comment

Ant Attack. It was the absolute business, with its desolate atmosphere. Those spiders gave me the creeps something rotten.

Comment

Originally posted by 112
              What did make me think ewww was the big heffa that wa the cow. Mooky was annoying too.
              Not as bad as the queer guy. That voice made me cringe "OOOH! What am I gonna do?". The mutated cow made my friends and I almost wet ourselves; possibly the funniest enemy in video gaming history.

Comment

alone in the dark is probably my freakiest as i played it when it came out so was quite young(i'm 21 now) - besides, i was a bit of a wuss when it came to zombies and general horror...
                the atmosphere was pretty creepy when i first played the demo (just the attic bit at the start), as i didn't have a sound card, only the pc speaker. those clever gits at infogrames digitised the sound effects which was nice, although no music obviously.
                when i bought the game, we had recently acquired a lovely soundblaster (original version) and it brought with it a gorgeous new sound experience with games like wolfenstein, and alone in the dark was very freaky as a result.

brings back fond memories...

Comment

Working...
                X