Metal Slug 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Slug 5

Finally got to play this over the weekend and can't quite make my mind up about it.

After the let down that was MS4 it came as a relief to be honest. It's a new Slug game...which is always welcome and it has some nice touches but i'm slightly underwhelmed yet again. The game is odd from the start. Stage 1's opening is far too quiet and for the first time in a Slug game the player is left waiting for enemies to attack.

And where are all the new sprites? Sure there are some new soldiers but the lack of incidental detail which we saw crammed in to 1-X is still missing. Not sure I am a fan of the bosses either, pretty much lacking in charm and originality and I can't help feeling the toughness stems from cheapness, the fire rain in particular. The game is still great fun and still puts a huge smile on my face but I can't help feeling the franchise is slowly sliding.

Talking of which, what about the new slide move? So far I am constantly using it at the wrong times and getting my arse kicked, but I guess I will get used to it.

And there seems to be some kind of story which is unexplained. The cut scene at the end of level 1 is out of place, I assume there was to be one at each end of stage but was dumped for some reason. Anyone shed any light on this?

Just wondered what the opinions where of those that have played it more extensively...
    Last edited by Gareth C; 01-06-2004, 19:29.

Didn't like it much tbh. There are a couple of nice vehicles you could control but not much else. It's less frantic than the earlier games, has less charm and is not entirely enjoyable to play. One for the arcades/KawaX me thinks.

Comment

I still enjoyed it...it's a Metal Slug game. But,yes, the charm is light and the slower pace make it a poorer game. I did like the mech vehicle though.

Comment

I wish they'd do a new Shock Troopers instead of the inevitable Metal Slug 6.

Comment

I don't want to see MS disappear, i look forward to what might be done with it on the new board.

A new Shock Troopers game would be cool. Got to be honest and say that I hadn't really played it until recently and found it to be great fun.

Any others you can recommend?

Comment

I posted a few impressions when I got the home cart on release but I think the thread might be lost.
            Played it quite a lot and it's definitely better than 4 IMO but not a patch on the others. Nice to see SNKP attempting to re-draw stuff. Very little cut n' paste compared to Mega's 4.
            5 promised a lot but falls a bit short though. I think the first 3 levels are fine but then it goes downhill and feels a bit unfinished with bits cut, the story binned and bosses becoming a bit pointless. Bad design creeps in. The lack of comedy bits and aliens etc put some people off but I don't mind that and the games urban theme is fine by me tbh. I love MS1 to bits after all.
            I still find the game a lot of fun despite its flaws. That's how good the franchise is. Even the crap games are addictive.

As for MS6 I'm a tad worried. They'll probably STILL re-use the 16 bit sprites with high res backgrounds like KOF NeoWave and that's taking the piss. If they do go for a brand new style it'll be interesting to see if they can pull it off. It'll decide the fate of the series for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls
              As for MS6 I'm a tad worried. They'll probably STILL re-use the 16 bit sprites with high res backgrounds like KOF NeoWave and that's taking the piss. If they do go for a brand new style it'll be interesting to see if they can pull it off. It'll decide the fate of the series for sure.
              Yep, I just wonder how much they are going to tinker with the original premise.

On another MS related subject...MS3 for Xbox. Seems to be getting a warm-ish welcome. With just the new continue system coming in for comaplaint.

Comment

Its just a 5 credit system like the AES isn't it? That's much better than the Freeplay PS2 version if you ask me

Comment

No, the issue is that when you continue you have to start from the beginning of the level, bit of a pain in the arse for most people, especially Level 5.

Comment

And to be honest, a game like this could well do with a freeplay option in my opinion (maybe for the easiest difficulty) as I can't see many casual gamers with no previous MS experience sticking with it.

On the other hand there does seem to be some kind of level select feature. And interestingly they have put the red blood in.

Comment

Originally posted by g-wings
                      No, the issue is that when you continue you have to start from the beginning of the level, bit of a pain in the arse for most people, especially Level 5.
                      Sweet Jesus! That is surprisingly hardcore. 1 credit-ing level 5 even with 5 lives is NOT easy.

Comment

I guess that is there attempt at adding replayability!

The 2 player "cheat" is alive and well on the XBox version though so I guess that will help somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls
                          Sweet Jesus! That is surprisingly hardcore. 1 credit-ing level 5 even with 5 lives is NOT easy.

Just trying to remember my best effort on Level 5 and i'm certain I didn't get through it without a continue or two

Still an MS game is an MS game. Just glad it is still getting some attention.

Also makes me want to re-start my 3D Metal Slug project.
                          Last edited by Gareth C; 04-06-2004, 08:40.

Comment

Working...
                          X