X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Tactics

Formerly Pillage?

Anyone got it?

The Cube version is $17.99 at Tronix, which seems too good to be true.

Aw, you got my hopes up. You know you're not meant to post in First Play unless you've played it right?

Comment

I read this on another forum. Not sure of the platform though:

After playing the demo for a couple of hours, I must say this game is really cool.

It's basically a strategy/rpg in the same vein of something like Ring of Red or Front Mission, only you aren't using giant robots. You have a larger line of sight to the hit the enemy, and environmental effects play a large role here.

Also worth mentioning is the humor. ALong with the silly(and very well done) music, there is often a funny overtone surrounding the battles. Maybe that's why is reminds me of the underrated PSX game, Team Buddies. Either way coming from Zed Two(a company that to my knowledge, biggest hit was Aqua Aqua for PS2) this game is most definintly GS. I'm buying it on pay day.
      Incidentally Video Games Plus have the PS2 and Xbox versions:

Future Tactics The Uprising - XBOX ?13.91
      Future Tactics: The Uprising - PS2 ?11.92

Plus of course a couple of pounds for shipping.
      Last edited by Bassman; 03-06-2004, 09:09.

Comment

I've had the XBox version for a little while.

It's quite a nice little game, but it has got a bit repetitive about half way through and it's really the story that's pushing it along. The story itself is a little disappointing considering its by Mr Biffo, although there are a few laughs. The music by Tim Folin though is great.

Gamneplay wise, it's quite original. Kind of like a cross between the turn based combat Advance Wars without the grid system and the reaction based battles in Mario and Luigi. The scenery is completely deformable too, which is nice.

For the price, you can't go wrong. I just hope there's a change in pace from the current levels as they are fairly samey in terms of gameplay.

Comment

I really like it, it's got a very solid single player modes. Imagine a cross between Worms and Hogs of War and you're almost there. Missions are varied with a strong character set each with their own traits and abilities and the deformable terrain adds a layer of strategy to battles.

All in all, an original game easily worth ?20.

Comment

While on the plane about to return home from LA (for E3), some guy sitting on the same row as me handed me every single American gaming magazine as he had read them. In all there were about 14 magazines for me to read through, and each and every one gave Future Tactics are poor review, with scores ranging from 4 to 6.

Today I finally managed to play the game, which I admittedly would have had no interest in if it wasn't for the honesty of the developers over at rllmuk. I have to say that after a few levels, this is really good fun. I'm completely surprised to be honest, as this strikes a very good balance between turn-based and real time. Reviews have complained about the almost impossible aiming, and although I agree they are quite tricky, it is kind of the point about the game.
            Also they've moaned about the unskipable enemy turns, however, again, this is the point of the game. I've found it quite interesting watching them move about, and it can be surprisingly tense watching them wander over to one of your characters when their health is low.

Ok the graphics aren't the best ever, but they have character and a certain charm. Also the music is nice and cheery, and the story is so far quite interesting. I can see it getting a bit repetitive, as Brats has already found out, but so far this is becoming a real unexpected jem.

Comment

I have to agree with you there Pete. I haven't a had aproblem with the aiming, but then I am playing with a GameCube pad, maybe its trickier with lesser analog sticks. Watching the way the enemies move has become essential to working out how they think so that I know where to place my troops, makes for a very tense game of hide and seek.

I'm on the motorway segment right now and having fun tipping the bus off the edge. The Americans probably don't get what is a very English game. Plays like a cross between Worms and X-Com/UFO to me.

I'll be intrested to see what our reviewer makes of it.

Comment

The PAL release of this finally came out on Friday and can now be picked up for a bargainous ?15 on all formats from play.com. So far I have only completed the relatively simple first mission and found it very enjoyable. The controls are easy to get the hang off, aiming is not a problem and the deformable scenery is a nice addition. I am having trouble with the second mission at the moment, dying within a few turns by the kamikaze enemy but it is not too frustrating and I am sure I will have no problem with once I finally get the hang of the line of sight mechanics of the game. Personally I have found the music repetitive so far but overall it is a pretty good game.

Comment

Working...
                X