Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Spectrum Warrior

So what do people think then?

To coin a phrase, I'm shocked and awed. It's everything they suggested it would be, both a revelation and an unbridled joy to play. It looks and sounds great, the control system is sublime and the challenge seems to get harder and more sophisticated with every level.

I haven't run the army.xbe that lets you play the original US Army version, though from what I hear it'll be a substantial extra to enjoy once the retail missions are done. Brutally realistic, apparently.

ha2p1py9tur5tle

Comment

played about an hour last night initial impressions are great, you really have to think about what your doing or both teams will end up dead QUICK.

The sense of immersion seems spot on and the tensions is palpable

graphics are very nice indeed as is the sound with some shocking use of language (shocking in the sense i wasn't expecting it)

played through the first five training missions and about halfway through the first main mission and am enjoying it so far.

Comment

Are you guys playing the copied version, if not what is it like on live? I am waiting on mine from the states.

Comment

Is it region free guys?

Want this asap

Comment

Yes, tell us about online...I currently have my brother living with me and he has an unchipped US Xbox, I will have to pick up a copy if the reports are as good as I am expecting them to be.

Comment

They took out Linkup! I'll hate them forever because of this, until Merc comes out, obviously.

Should have FSW tomorrow regardless of this stupidity...

Comment

Just popped in to Raven Games and saw this and Riddick on the shelves. Managed to resist buying either but I can see myself doing some Rallisport2 style driving at 5.20 tonight as my will power finally gives in.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth C
                  Just popped in to Raven Games and saw this and Riddick on the shelves. Managed to resist buying either but I can see myself doing some Rallisport2 style driving at 5.20 tonight as my will power finally gives in.

How much were they in Raven Games?

Comment

?55 or ?60 I would guess. That is their usual price for imports. They are sometimes up for a bit of bartering. You had best be quick though as stock had almost run out apparantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth C
                      ?55 or ?60 I would guess.

Thats nigh on extortion.

Prices like that have no place in this world now the interweb is so prevelent.

Anyway, I didn't notice the release date for this one had crept around so quick. I've just thrown my order in
                      Last edited by Spatial; 04-06-2004, 16:51. Reason: Looks like I did have more to say after all

Comment

I was put off importing as someone wanted to charge that for Animal Crossing. And wanted ?20 up front.
                        Of course, now I know he was trying to rip me off. Indies are crap tbh.

Comment

At least Goblins prices weren't too bad - does anyone know what happened to them?

Comment

Well, finally finished it after about 12 hours of play. As with so many games the initially overwhelming impressions eventually subsided to the game's many faults. This isn't to say it's not highly enjoyable, but for all the attention that's been lavished on the innovative game engine, little seems to have gone into the design of the missions themselves or the surrounding story.

Here's the rundown anyways:

+ amazing, highly evocative graphics featuring silky smooth animation
                            + you get the US Army version with it which, although I haven't played it yet (got Riddick to enjoy first) is apparently a much better game
                            + sound is never out of place, always effective
                            + inspired game engine and play mechanics; has the potential to forge a genre classic if the design is there to match

- much is superficial; the levels appear large and intricate, for example, but ultimately prove very limited
                            - the game is very repetitive; only a small handful of scenarios occur and they do so over and over again - the required tactics are always the same
                            - neither your team nor your abilities are augmented during the game (except for the brief appearance of 'The Rangers' in the 10th and 11th missions)
                            - the game isn't very challenging
                            - there's a very strict and simple ruleset that sometimes makes itself painfully apparent (not being able to shoot an enemy who's stood a clear metre from his supposed 'cover', for example)
                            - you can't skip the very dull cut-scenes, some of which last for ages and come right after a frickin' save point
                            - the 'replay' system wants to be innovative but ends up being toss. If a save point is too far back to warrant repeating, you can run a high speed replay and 'jump in' at any point. The replays are hilarious with their sped up speech (though curiously only your team suffers from this) but can still last forever even at 'high speed'. This means a wait of a few minutes 'til you get to the point at which you wish to resume. You could just resume from the last save point, of course, but the game's pace and repetitive nature doesn't make this a favourable option.
                            - there are no set pieces that break the mould set by the rest of the game. Nearly every enemy encounter feels like either the last or the one before that - even Al-Afad, the game's ultimate baddie, is...

killed by an airstrike just as you expect a climactic showdown

Despite the flaws, however, the engine itself is hugely promising. From what I hear the US Army version has a great many features that are sorely missing from the 'Public' version such as the ability to customise your team. It's also brutally hard - something which the normal game unfortunately isn't.

I'll post impressions of the US Army version after I'm done with Riddick. There's also 'authentic mode', but the game isn't diverse enough to warrant a replay.
                            Last edited by Inertia_; 05-06-2004, 11:47.

Comment

Um, might want to sort that spolier out using the lemon chiffon font

Example :- Its unreadible unless highlighted

Comment

Working...
                              X