Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox Live - Games and kit question

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but to just to refresh my memory, could you help me out with the following questions.

I'm looking to get a UK Xbox Live kit tomorrow, Am I right in assuming that this will work fine on my US machine? Given that US kits work on UK machines this is the correct thinking right?

Second of all could someone tell me all the games that are released on PAL that are region free, hence I'll be able to play them on my US machine. (PAL is much cheaper and easier to get, doing this on a bit of a budget!)

Thanks in advance!

PAL kits work fine on US machines. I know because that's what I use.

Region free games: MechAssault, Unreal Champ, Ghost Recon.

That's your lot.

Comment

Thanks Babs!

Second Question,

Ghost Recon or Unreal Championship?

I have Unreal Tournament 2003 on PC, is Championship similar to this? Guessing it's not worth bothering with?

Ta once again!

Fric

Comment

Me again,

Just as a follow up to this post, I purchased UK versions of both the Live kit and Ghost Recon today, Niether of which work on my US machine!

Perhaps something has changed since other people got them, all I get is the 'wrong region message'

Now I have to be stung for a US kit which is way more expensive

Comment

Just keep the kit you have and when you buy a US copy of Ghost Recon it should install Xbox Live on your xbox for you. Means you dont have to fork out for another kit.

Just means you'll miss out on the Demo games on the Xbox Live disc.

Mind you I could be totally wrong, but I'm sure someone else will confirm either way.

Comment

PAL Ghost Recon doesn't work on a US XBox. I had the opportunity to try this out for myself when my indie offered me the PAL version as replacement for my faulty NTSC game.

The UK Live kit works fine on my US XBox though.

Comment

Hmmmm.

Now that Live is officially available in Europe, it seems that Microsoft are now distributing region-locked Live kits.

I apologise for apparently misleading you, but clearly Microsoft have moved the goalposts since I took the plunge.

Comment

That would make sense. I got my Live kit over a month ago from MS themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs
                  Hmmmm.

Now that Live is officially available in Europe, it seems that Microsoft are now distributing region-locked Live kits.

I apologise for apparently misleading you, but clearly Microsoft have moved the goalposts since I took the plunge.
                  Not a problem Babs, there is no way on earth you could have possibly known!

Just need to try and source a cheap US kit, or a old UK kit from somewhere?!

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Friction

Comment

damn just bought a Uk starter kit today for my Us box. CEX said it would be ok. ft: ft:

Comment

Originally posted by macosx!
                      damn just bought a Uk starter kit today for my Us box. CEX said it would be ok. ft: ft:
                      How about this....

I am in Norway with a UK x-box and Norgey Broadband

Do u think it will work with a UK live kit?

It is PAL here, but Live has not launched yet....

Comment

I just ordered several US kits from www.tronixweb.com after informing my mates here in Australia that the official release here isnt going to be until October.

Tronix shipped them within 48hrs and they only worked out $10au more than what the kit is going to be when it finally releases here.

Comment

should work but you might a problem with address and maybe payment details

Comment

Nah address/payment details should be fine.

When I got my US kit last year I had to put my Aussie address in for billing details but I had to pick a UK postcode as it authenticates that against a list of permitted postcodes on the server.

I only had to do this tweak because Australia isnt one of the available regions on the US kit, so I picked Uk instead.

Just get the US kit and select UK as your region and it will be fine.

Comment

capcom_suicide.

Just do what I did then, get the US kit...

1. enter UK as your region
                              2. enter your normal address BUT with a UK postcode

Should work fine as I know a few guys in Sweden who have done the same thing so it seems to work everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X