Galleon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galleon

about 2 hours into this one so its time for a first play thread.

graphically, going off today's standards, this game is rubbish. Its DC era at the best. nice facial animation when in cut-scenes (all using the in-game engine) and a few nice 'little details' like butterflies swarming and birds flying... but its really hard to find anything worthwhile in the eye candy department at all. tons of glitches (arms going through walls, your characters pony-tail going through his body/other peoples bodies etc). sad to say that the water (which is one of the main features of the game - you know, with it being set on treasure islands and all that) is worse than anything seen for many many years, we are talking sub-par n64 ish here (Mario 64 had much better water imo)........ anyways less of the graphics (we aren't graphic whores after all) and onto how this little beauty plays.....

'You don't control the characters movement, you control the camera' or so the game tells you. In other words 'its a similar control system to the original tomb raider, with identical supertanker style turning circles etc but to make it just that little bit harder both movement and camera are on the same stick'....needless to say, not a good control system does this make.

the game is supposed to use an advanced AI system, where you point at the place you want to go and the game's AI will get you there - no more pressing Action to climb onto and over objects, the game does it all for you. Sounds good doesn't it...........sadly the proof is in the pudding (as they say) and the AI system just isn't upto the job at all. I point at an area i want to go to, and the game takes my character there, until it gets to a railing that i don't want to climb over but oh no, the AI knows better so over i go, to then land on a slope and slide (Tomb Raiderish) to the bloody bottom (where i started).... so i then go back up the bloody slope and come to the same railing and guess what - yep you guessed it, over i go again and back down to the bottom. Game was turned off at this point, into the back garden i went where i proceeded to enjoy the bee's buzzing, the people cutting lawns and the sound of some idiot playing the same record over and over again. So feeling refreshed i went back to the game and this time the AI actually managed to bypass the railing for me

another thing which the game heralds is the ability to suss out what an item does whilst heading towards it, thus negating the time needed to press an Action button telling you character to perform whatever motion needed. Sounds good again, but once again IT DOESN'T BLOODY WORK. approach an item from the wrong angle and it won't do what it says on the tin, its still locked onto it, its still telling you to press UP to activate the motion (can someone explain to me how pressing UP is any different from say pressing X to activate something?) but it won't do it. Lock off, approach from the right angle, lock back on and it works ...... totally revolutionises how we will play platformers from now on doesn't it Mr Gard

lets see, what else does the game do right........ ahhhhhh the combat system. lets bumrush the players character with numerous enemies, and give the player a control system which means you have to swing the camera round to attack to left or right. Yep that will make a smooth combat engine won't it . lets then give the character 2 buttons and no block button (to block you must have the camera facing the opponent attacking - which means that once you are surrounded you are fooked (to put it mildly)) ..... just how a game can be released in this day and age with such a shoddy combat system is beyond me, its as though Mark of Kri and PoP (or any platformer with combat elements released in the past few years) just didn't happen.....

don't forget the obligatory boss fights (this 'insert boss model here' is too big to fight normally so you need to climb onto its back and attack its head ala countless Sinbad movies), the timed sections (what do you mean i have 10 seconds to get to somewhere/something that i can't see, don't know where it is, fighting enemies on the way etc etc etc), the 'sliding down a slope dodging obstacles/jumping fires etc etc.......yep you got it, all the 3d platforming cliches are all in place -------- revolutionary or what...

anyways - back to this masterpiece ft:

It just seems to be uninspiring and having been in development for an absolute lifetime its now being beaten by titles already out their quite easily. I think its taken too long to be released and they are now ultimately paying the price but hell what do i know..

Comment

Their development cycle was insane, and then they float garbage about "overestimating what the XBox could do". The way it plays and looks I don't think they even sat down in front of a console that wasn't the PS and didn't have a copy of Tomb Raider in it.

It's Daikatana syndrome all over again, and with any luck Toby Guard will just vanish off our screens for good.

Comment

If it is this bad I really don't know why it got good reviews

Comment

dollah?
          or am I being too cynical?

actually for some reason I do want to try this game, but I think I'll wait `til it`s ?9.99 I just want to see what happen with a (european) game when an artist drives the design...hopefully theres something worthwhile within it...

Comment

Originally posted by electric_warrior
            If it is this bad I really don't know why it got good reviews
            Not everyone did, we gave it a 4

Comment

over-scored

played some more and its just not getting any better - normally i am the guy who gives any game a chance (i own bloodwake for pitys sake) and yet galleon is becoming a chore to play through ..... tell me it gets better soon pleaseeeeeeee (i have to play through it you see)

Comment

I got this today also, and while I agree that the lock on system is god dam awful, everything else so far has impressed me. Even the graphics arent as bad as I expected, infact they look better than most ps2 titles lol. Worlds seem expansive, combat/controls are different but fun at the same time- story seems well thought out, same with the puzzles. I do think the controls are difficult at first, but they are hardly frustrating, and its not at all difficult when you get to grips with it. I seriously do not think this game is over scored in the slightest, ive played a good few hours today and its been the most fun ive had with a game all week . Overshadowed by pofp yes, but still a great game in its own right- my 2 cents anyway.

Comment

Puzzles seem well thought out? You mean the 'get item A to go in Object B' (both miles away so mucho backtracking), 'pull level C to open Door D - sometimes intermingled with 'get to Door D before the timer counts down', or surely the 'swim in direction F, whilst your air supply runs out so make sure no wrong turns or you miss the 'airhole' on the way'

riviting stuff indeed

Toby Gard is stuck in Tombraider mode - from the camera work, to the movement (complete with sliding down slopes, diving off cliffs into water etc etc), this game is showing its age AND ITS NOT EVEN ON GENERAL RELEASE YET! its a dc-era game released this gen, with none of the advancements that games released in the past few years have brought to the genre......

Comment

I think there are going to be a lot of dissagreements about this game, It is obviously not up there with the best of the xbox games enhancements wise, but it doesnt stop the enjoyment from the title in my opinion. I think the ?40 is a little steep perhaps- this should have been ?30 at the very most.

Comment

I was tempted to get this, but i decided just to play through Prince of Persia again which i did today and i'm so glad i did, i'd almost forgotten how much i loved it.

Comment

I did that myself about two days ago.

You're right. It's sublime stuff. The level design, control and sheer cleverness is a wonder to behold at times.

Comment

You couldn't make this **** up.

I almost shat myself when I first saw this screen.

Comment

did you think i was joking in my first post

whats annoying is that the control method (movement wise) is almost identical to tomb raiders (although with an analogue control system that is too sensitive - for example to stay on course 'using the AI movement sensorary bollocks' you need to press softly on the analogue stick (think walking pace in Mario64) press too hard and the character enters 'run mode' which means he will just run straight towards the camera's direction ..... falling off any beams/planks of wood/pipes you might be inching along -- quality game design of the highest order

another thing which is totally incomprehensible - movement, camera and combat moves are all by the same stick...... chaos

Comment

I've been told by someone with the game John, that in combat if you hold down X and move the stick about you can attack forward, left, right and behind you. True? Might help with the "trickyness" of being able to block...
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                              X