Wipeout 2097 - absolute class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipeout 2097 - absolute class

After being challenged to Wip3out last weekend, I've been playing Wipeout 2097/XL again, and what a fantastic game it is.

Playing Wip3out SE so much I'd been suckered in, thinking that was the best in the series, but going back to 2097 I realise I was wrong.

2097 has totally ragged controls, on the faster classes you are on the edge of losing it the entire race. Tracks are memorable, themed, and perfectly judged between skill and speed, unlike those in 3 which are going through-the-motions anodyne.

The game is visually stronger than 3 or Fusion, with plenty day-glo logos and track detail, which more entertaining that the aneamic sequels. The soundtrack too is pumped compared to the more laid back noodlings of the later games.

Hot damn, what a game.

I'm going to be aiming at my track records again this weekend, but I'm sorely missing my negCon right now

I agree with everything you just said

The controls are spot on, and really allow you to throw your craft around the tightest hairpins. Gare Europa (sp) is my favourite Wipeout track from any game. Musically it's also my favourite. Wip3out is great, but this is better.
    Last edited by Square; 16-06-2004, 12:09.

Comment

Yep, great game. One of the reasons that made me buy a PlayStation.

I actually re-bought it recently (JP version), but I've yet to try it out again. Got a NegCon too...this sounds like the perfect excuse to re-visit it

Comment

Personally, I'm more of a wip3out man, I must admit. The analogue controls match the variable curves of the new tracks so well, and, well, I'm bitter that my brother is much better than I am at 2097.

But I also prefer the muted cool Warp-style DR work in 3 to their dayglo PWEI crazyness in 2097. Still either is so far above the 'so ugly its like non-design' attempt in Fusion its just funny.

I've gone back to Fusion recently, and once you get past the fact that (a) its as rough as old boots, visually inferior to even the original Wipeout, and (b) the scoring system is completely broken by awarding championship points for kills, its not that bad on some of the courses, and the Hybrid mix of Papua New Guinea holds its own as a proper wipEout track.

Gare d'Europa is the coolest track ever, though, I'll admit, even if to this day I can't stand the bumpy up and down bit just before the big jump. The sharp left-hander at the top of the hill in particular is just a pinnacle of gaming funkyness when you airbrake it just right.
        Last edited by mid; 16-06-2004, 12:23.

Comment

Funny you should mention this, I have been having a number of game nights recently and one of the most fun we had was on Wipeout 64. This since has made me go out and buy 2097 on the Playstation. Prehaps we could get some time trial score boards up - although I am quite bad at the mo.

BTW has anyone else found their copy doesn't work on PS2?

Comment

Yeah 2097 is definitely the highlight of the series for me too although revisiting now I do find the frame rate is not what I remember...

The track design is so good though, I can go back to courses that I haven't played in maybe 2 years, play them a couple of times and it's like I never left them. It's a crying shame that they couldn't do a split screen in this version although by all accounts the link up game was excellent (if you had the kit).

The music is excellent as well it's only recently been beaten imo by JSR I used to listen to Landmass by FSOL constantly.

Comment

No mine worked fine when I tried it. Did it not boot or crash in-game?

Comment

Originally posted by Square
                Gare Europa (sp) is my favourite Wipeout track from any game.
                Yeah, mine too

Originally posted by mid
                Personally, I'm more of a wip3out man, I must admit. The analogue controls match the variable curves of the new tracks so well, and, well, I'm bitter that my brother is much better than I am at 2097.
                Wipeout 2097 + negCon (or wheel) = analog control (and analog accel).

Originally posted by nickgodfrey
                Runs fine for me, Pal PS2. I also played Wipeout 64 and enjoyed it, mainly because it is based on 2097. For some reason, 2097 has the edge.

Wip3out does have split screen, but the cut in frame rate hurts the game a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by goldbricker
                  No mine worked fine when I tried it. Did it not boot or crash in-game?
                  It just plays the intro I think then doesn't boot up - it's the Plat edition, which may effect it. I've got a PSOne so it's not to bad.

Comment

I never could work out how the negcon would be any good - I can't imageine how the whole twisting dynamic would work in such a fast paced game. I remember when it first game out it got some mediocre reviews but with hindsight everyone now seems to rave about them. What do they fetch these days?

Comment

I wouldn't pay more than ?20 for one unless it was boxed and mintular, preferably a later black jpn edition.

I bought mine new for ?40...

Comment

The only even slightly rare PAL wipEout is the original release of 3:SE, which goes for about ?20-?25 on ebay. But since they released it in that cheap bundle with Destruction Derby 2 you only need to pay that if you want the proper artwork. PAL releases of the first two probably aren't going to set you back more than a fiver each in any second hand shop. Even Fusion on the PS2 is only worth a fiver sealed these days - I saw plenty of copies at that in Toys R Us recently.

I can never decide if a NegCon is worth the money really - does it help a lot on 2097?

Comment

once you are used to it (and it does take some mastering), the negCon gives you much more control.

Comment

2097 is indeed a classic wipEout as I've said before on this forum, but dont forget wipEout 64 which you should be able to pick up cheap as chips.
                            The Nintendo version sports proper analogue handling (far better then Fusion's) and some really crazy tracks. Pop-up is an issue which is soon forgotten when you really start motoring.

It goes like this for me....

wipEout 2097
                            wipEout 64
                            wipEout 3
                            wipEout Fusion
                            wipEout
                            wipEout SE

About time we were treated to a new wipEout for Nintendo GC IMO. Or a proper PS2 version minus 42 control parameters, ie back to the basic 7 of PS1 titles.

PS. Anyone know how to get the PC version working on XP? Just tried to install and got "only works on '95" for my trouble.

PPS. Installed on XP now, but running at about 400FPS. Impossible to control.
                            Last edited by Ian(not Ian); 16-06-2004, 16:22.

Comment

PC 2097? Don't bother. Even before I upgraded to XP it was totally, completely unplayable. The 'clever' people encoded it without a framerate limiter. As soon as the framerate goes over 30fps (which anything faster than a 3DFX Voodoo 1 will easily manage to do) your clock runs fast. Last time I tried it, with a GeForce DDR card, I had about 3 seconds to complete a lap in.

edit - ah. See you've just discovered that joy.

ePSXe does a fine job of running the PS 2097 disc, however, it can't handle 3 or SE.

As for 64, the popup killed it for me - the draw distance was so short on your rival craft that I was constantly crashing into them before I'd noticed they were even there.
                              Last edited by mid; 16-06-2004, 16:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X