ESPgaluda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESPgaluda

Ran a search and saw nothing in FP on this so here goes. These impressions are after an hour or so play on the latest from the greatest Cave, purveyor of the quality old school shoot 'em up...

FYI ESPgaluda was released into the Jap arcades in 03 and, against all odds (even in japan) has been picked up for ps2 elease by Arika, who handled the suprise japanese success DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou.

Graphically this is very similar to ESPerade so expect no great advances there. There are a number of graphical nods to the earlier game especially right at the start of the game. However, sprite-wise everything seems a little larger- more in the vein of Dai-ou-jou in terms of size of the bullets flying around but despite this it still retains the unique esperade feel.

The layout of menu's and all options are almost exactly the same as on DDPDOJ. An art gallery, and advanced techniques DVD is included with this release.

Two main characters to choose from: one male one female. More angelic and less Akira than in the prequel.

Three buttons handle gameplay:

[A] handles fire which functions as you'd expect. Tap for fast speed ship and wider unfocused shot and hold for boosted, targeted fire but decreased ship speed.

[B] Kakusei button. Tap tghis and a red ring like a clock surround the player. Time slows down ands the bullets are easier to dodge. Hoiwever, while in Kakusei mode the red clock face drains. When it is emptied you can no longer utilise Kakusei mode. The counter is refuilled by collecting green pick-ups from all downed enemies (like the coins in DDPDOJ)

[C] Barrier. A short barrier/ invulnerability mode which can be used three times. It provides cover for the player for around 2 seconds during which time enemy bullets can be absorbed and unleashed a la Gigawing.

Personally, I have found that the combination of Kakusei and Barrier modes make the game more straightforward in terms of straight level progression (I got far furthur on one credit on my first go than I did with Esperade). However, as with all Cave's recent output, its a fine balance between progression play and high score play.

These are just my initial impressions.

Other points:

Pause the game, then go back to the action, there will be a count down of 3 seconds before the action actually starts up again, to allow you to prepare yourself.

Famitsu gave 8. 7. 7. 7 (29).

Interesting (and extremely rare) ingterview with the enigmatic (and tiny) Cave here:

Last edited by gozaimas; 17-06-2004, 23:08.

This game is awesome! It's currently the most played shooter in the arcades. I got this a few days ago, but I've been playing the arcade version since last year. It's pretty much arcade perfect like DDP.
    The scoring system is fantastic once you understand it. Basically, you use kakusei mode to achieve this. You should go into this mode not only to avoid bullets but to get high scores by clearing the screen of enemies. In doing so, all bullets fired by the enemies disappear giving the player high scores. You have to be careful with this mode as there is a counter indicated by the number of green gems youve collected. The maximum is 500 and it will decrease whilst you are in kakusei mode. Once it reaches zero, the enemies bullets increase bigtime! However, your firepower also increases, which is useful for the bosses.
    There is an arrange mode which uses the system from Esparade. In this mode you are given the choice of 2 completely new characters. So, you are basically getting 2 games for one!

Comment

I got mine winging it's way from Play-Asia as we type.

I loved playing through Esparade and I cannot wait to play this. Did you get the Bonus DVD with your's venom?

Comment

Was about to start a thread on this earlier yesterday but knew f-all about its arcade origins so decided to wait.

From a newbie points of view - this is one of the most playable shooters in quite a while. Bullets all over the place but the controls are spot on to allow you to dodge with confidence. Chunky graphics which hark back to Neo Geo days.

I only got to level 3 on my first credit and then Big Brother started, but isn't there some sort of slomo button? I didn't manage to use/find it. The only power up I got was the standard super shot.

Anyway, I'll be back to this when I have time over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders
          I got mine winging it's way from Play-Asia as we type.

I loved playing through Esparade and I cannot wait to play this. Did you get the Bonus DVD with your's venom?
          Yeah mate, I did. Some great footage on it there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono
            Was about to start a thread on this earlier yesterday but knew f-all about its arcade origins so decided to wait.

From a newbie points of view - this is one of the most playable shooters in quite a while. Bullets all over the place but the controls are spot on to allow you to dodge with confidence. Chunky graphics which hark back to Neo Geo days.

I only got to level 3 on my first credit and then Big Brother started, but isn't there some sort of slomo button? I didn't manage to use/find it. The only power up I got was the standard super shot.

Anyway, I'll be back to this when I have time over the weekend.
            Yeah, thats the button which initiates the kakusei mode. It slows everything down enabling you to get massive scores. You cant abuse the system though as there is a counter indicated by the number of green gems you have. Only use this mode to get out of a tight spot and in areas where enemy fire is high. Watch your score increase bigtime!

Comment

Sounds really good, any idea where I can download some preview/replay videos ? (one listed in the Esp CAB thread doesn't work)

Thanks

Comment

They have a lot at the official site.

Comment

Play-Asia have links to 5 or 6 good ones. (save target as to get 'em)

Comment

thanks, never thought of checking play-asia. doh.

Comment

im waiting on mine from play asia but it dosnt matter becase im addicted to my pro-gear PCB at the mo

Comment

Has no one else got this yet then??

I really hope that mine is waiting for me on the doormat when i get home from work this evening.

Been reading the views on shmups.com and its sounds just as good as i was hoping.

EDIT - Not here today. Damn. ft:
                        Last edited by Yoshimoto; 21-06-2004, 20:56.

Comment

I got mine today.

Comment

Got mine too. Can't wait to unwrap the beauty but since I'm still transfixed on one- crediting R-Type Final on human it'll have to wait a bit.

Comment

THIS GAME OWNZ!!

Man, this game is great. I've only had little time with it because I was out getting a new TV today, but it's really great. Get it now, if your PS2 can play it!

Comment

Working...
                              X