HD Loader (PS2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD Loader (PS2)

I've been playing about with this bit of software, and first impressions are pretty good. I've got a 120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax-9 2MB Cache drive in a chipped PAL V7 PS2. It installs imports and domestic games ok, though I understand it'll only support domestic games without a mod chip.

To copy a disc seems to take 8-9 minutes a gig, and load times I'd estimate at about 3 or 4 times quicker (based on Japanese GT3 A Spec), I'd think different games will give different results.

All the games I've tried so far have installed and played fine, the only bug I've seen is that the installer sometimes reports there isn't enough disc space. Try it again immediately afterwards and it's fine. Installation is dead easy, just a matter of selecting the install option and inserting the disc. To play a game you simply select it from the menu.

I'd say it's definitely worth the outlay, simply to have all your games available without needing to handle and scratch your originals. It'll not unfortunately work with online play or PS1 titles, which is a shame, but I'd give it 8/10 based on what it can do.

Regards
    Marty

only games you can't install (as long as you have a modded ps2) are dvd9 games such as Xenosaga and ps1 games ..... theres also a small list of ps2 games that won't install such as ffxi (at first i assumed that any games which allowed you to install to an official ps2 hdd would fail but winning eleven 7i installed perfectly so go figure )

install times vary - just taken 75 seconds to install shikigame no shiro, 3 mins for psyvariar but 15 mins to install ESPgaluda

using same hdd as marty (matrox diamond9 120gb with 2meg cache) but wish i had bought the 8mb cache version now ... hdd runs fairly loud but not distracting me too much

loading times are great - we7i loads within 15-20 seconds, then a match loads within 10 seconds with next to no loading pauses

will update more later

Comment

Sounds excellent Marty.
      How easy is it to fit and configure a stock PC HD in the PS2?

Comment

Very easy, it's just a matter of removing the extention port cover, pushing the HD onto the BBA and putting the whole lot in the back of the PS2. Two bolts hold it in place.

The HD loader then detects it's a new HD when you boot and formats for you.

Regards
        Marty

Comment

simple case of removing your network adapter from your ps2, plugging the hdd into the network adapter then replacing the NA into your ps2

the hddloader disc formats the hdd for you when you first install it

all in all - a 60 second jobbie

Comment

Sorry to be really dense here fellas but does that mean I need to buy a network adapter as well?

Comment

Will the NTSC HD Loader disc work okay with a modded PAL PS2?

Comment

Yes - that's what I'm using.

SuperBrother, yes you need a BBA as that's how the HD connects to the PS2.

Regards
                Marty

Comment

using the ntsc version as well (next day delivery from divineo.co.uk) but i think the pal version is out next week for those without modded systems ... using a ntsc-j ps2 with a pal mobo myself

Comment

I'm using a Samsung Spinpoint 120gb with mine which does have an 8mb cache and runs at 7200rpm. Works perfectly with the HDLoader and, furthermore, is whisper quiet.

Get the same sporadic problem as Marty with the insufficient space errors, but that's a minor quibble for such an incredible product.

Comment

see i haven't had one of those errors, but i am using one of the LE ps2's with the better dvd drive in it

wish i had gone with the samsung now - a quiet drive would be extremely beneficial for those early morning gaming sessions

Comment

XII Stag (ntsc-j version) won't install - might try to pick up the PAL version to see if that one will

Comment

Can anyone recommend a decent store to get a hard drive please? Sounds like this could be great for saving PS2 lasers

Comment

bought mine from scan - 53 quid for the matrox 120gb..... but i only live 6 mins away from scan so can pick up rather than pay their extortionate delivery prices

i am sure any pc shop will have 120gb hdd's for not much more though

Comment

See here for recommendations on PC suppliers.

Regards
                              Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X