Driver 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver 3

Suprised no ones posted already but thought i`d give my first impressions. I know the folks over at rllmuk have been giving this a pasting but after playing it i don`t think it`s as bad as they make out. Graphically i don`t think it`s to bad, car models are pretty decent, nice lighting and shadowing. Ok so theres pop up and and textures going from low detail to high detail but it still pisses over GTA graphics engine by a considerable amount. As for character movement i dont think it`s to bad with the character movement resembling max payne but the aiming can be very tricky and recommend you go into options and adjust the sensetivity. It be nice if they added the gta lock on system but that might make it to easy then. As for car handling this is my main gripe. The cars can feel very floaty and sensetive to steer at times but with a little practise you get used to it but still doesn`t feel as satisfying to drive as they should do. Engine Sound effects sound pretty **** and and the brake screeching will soon grate on you but fortunatly you can turn these down. Mission structure ain`t to bad while nothing amazing upto yet and hopefully get better as the game progresses. Had a quick bash at directors mode which is pretty neat but find very time consuming to get any half decent results out of this. Also you can upload your replays for others to see on xbox live. Overall though not bad yet not great.

Whens this mofo out? I quite fancy a go on it.

Comment

Now pretty much everywhere except game

Comment

Can you change the title of the thread to "Driv3r" please?

Comment

Funnily enough, it was GAME where i purchased this. Since it was the only place that had it.

PAL 60: no

(although using the Enigmah video select to NTSC, it does run in 60hz. However, on one of the missions 'The Rooftop' there does seem to be some graphic glitches which seem to just flash on/ off the screen very quickly, and some other artifacting which juts through the road.
          When put back to PAL mode, it''s fine.
          I cant seem to find any other irregularities as of yet, since i've left it permanantly on PAL mode now.)

Without wanting to say it plays decidedly meh (which means i will) It seems ok, with nothing too spectacular to worth mentioning. Apart from some nice CGI (which does nothing for me these days) and a more in depth 'director' mode for orchestrating your perfect car chase replays.

Game modes:
          Story
          Mission select - play your favourite mission all over again.
          Free-drive - does what it says on the tin. No mission structure. Drive around the towns to your hearts content. You can change certain variables such as:
          weather - sunny/ overcast/ rain
          cops - on/ off
          which vehicle you want to start the free drive in.
          and so on.

On the whole, the visual side of things look competant, with some nice touches like bullet holes riddling vehicles. Nothing overtly amazing that caught my eye.
          Framerate is good (better than GTA: Vice City - no means leaps and bounds) there are times it does get hairy and it takes a slight dive.

Cop AI seems to be fine. Though i did hit one in a head on collision, but nothing happened, but subsequently straight after that, i ran a red light and then the car chase began :O/

I was fearing the worst with the on-foot sections, but in the main - its ok. Not quite the travesty that was Driver 2. While you can roll forward and diagonally forward, why can you crouch roll sideways?
          i'm a bit miffed at that. Especially when theres a firefight going on.

I'll probably trade in the PAL version and pick up the NTSC one. Mainly for smoother framerate.

Comment

its pants in my view.

Comment

Driv3r - Xbox version - impressions

Well i got it now and my verdict, i like it alot. It still has the Driver feel to it, I played and finished PS1 versions of Driver 1 & 2 and i'm glad to say this 3rd series does pretty much make it the best of the series.

Graphics are very nice, detailed and smooth. There is pop-up but only when you really look for it, compared to previous Driver games its very subtle and minimal. The sensation of speed is good and the control of the vehicles are spot-on. The animation and movement of your main character (Tanner) is competent, you can jump out of the car like you could in True Crime. The use of bikes is very cool, and its even more intense and faster!

Also now you can swim and use speedboats, sure this gives it that GTA done it before feeling but the Driver series has always been about driving/racing, this addition of variety of vehicles etc was much needed to compete with its rivals.

The moves of Tanner are somewhat limited, he can jump but its kinder slow and also he can roll forwards, he cant roll sideways, which is a shame it would of been great addition in shootouts. He moves more realistically now compared to Driver 2's "constipated" moves dats for sure! hehe

The missions are nice and varied, the use of weapons is good, you control cross hair and can choose to move in 1st person mode for more accuracy when shooting.

The musical score and voice acting is definitely top stuff. Reflections' Driver series has always been about making it look and feel like a Hollywood movie, those classic mad car chase scenes, and with the Movie/Film Director mode in place this is the icing on the cake, i'ved saved and edited around 6 replays now, watching yourself crash into an oncoming cop car and being thrown in the air 50ft high, somersaulting and coming down on a policeman shooting at you is insanely satisfying to watch! lol Plus as its the Xbox version, you have unltd space to save replays, well 50k blocks is hell of a lot in terms of PS2 mem cards!

This is the best series to date, if you enjoyed the previous series you'll enjoy this latest installment even more so!

8/10

Comment

That's interesting. Your impressions make the game sound a lot better than the general vibe which has been circulating around.

I've been hearing some awful horror stories about this game.

Comment

The graphics are nice and smooth? I saw the xbox version on display in a shop yesterday and the frame rate was all over the place, dropping very badly. I realise people will say graphics don't make a game, but a bad frame rate does hurt the gameplay.

Comment

Hmmmm...

Played this for about 3 hours now and....

If you are a huge fan of the previous driver games then it may be worth a look but would suggest getting it from game so you can take it back if required.

It feels like Getaway on the ps2 (have xbox version of driv3r tho), but with more pop up, less control of your character on foot, but with better car modelling and control.

There are too many sections where you have follow someone in your car and if you make one mistake you need to start all over the place. Also, did anyone playtest this thing when you play on foot as the controls are sooo bloody anoying!

I disagree with Dragon2k4 re the graphics, they are shocking for the xbox, with loads of pop up, very bland textures and poor framerate which drops. When you think of things that are on the xbox now like Rallisport, project gotham etc etc you can see how old the graphics engine is (although granted this game is producing a city on the fly).

Has everyone noticed this game has suddenly been released a week early before any honest reviews appear in mags, and I think atari has obviously got wind of the slating it has been getting on the net!

I come back to my oiriginal comment tho, that if you are a die hard fan of driver then you may still get enjoyment out of this but for the rest of us it is no AAA title, and I think Game will have a lot of returns in the next week, so look out for the bargain bin copies soon.

Iain

Comment

I battled through the awfullness that was Driver 2 so il no doubt force myself throught this. I have been playing some rather good games recently such as Red Dead Revolver and Riddick so maybe being inexplicably drawn to driver 3 is some sort of punishment from god, evening out some cosmic imbalance or something.

Comment

It's ****ing horrendous. An overblown, unplayable travesty of a game. Quite how Reflections have managed to show such utter contempt for the gamer with meagre save points, ruthless objectives and a quite shocking clash of physics and handling is beyond me.

The whole 'Hollywood' style of handling that the original Driver introduced is chronically dated now and about as clumsy an implementation as you could imagine. Considering how infuriatingly easy it is to fail an objective it amazes me that you can go through a 15 minute mission and have to restart from the very beginning again.

I could go on forever about how poor this game is. This year's Enter The Matrix, only worse.

Comment

With a game like this, graphical quality is of upmost importance. A smooth framerate at 60hz is a neccesity aswell. This isn`t some surreal abstract title, its a game pushing for realism.

Its just a shame that Reflections haven`t pushed the graphical envelope as much as people expected from the shots and all the hype. The sad thing is the fact that its not even merely good its bloody average at best, what a shame.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-06-2004, 09:17.

Comment

got the Xbox version...oh dear! What's with the bull**** physics?!

Comment

borrowed a copy from work last night, played it for about 10 minutes. only 2 camera views? incredibly crappy handling, it's like tap this away tap that away just to go in a straight line.The city seems lifeless and lacking in any atmosphere compared to the GTA games where every area has it's own theme and their is barely a dull moment. On foot controls are rubbish, animation is very clunky like Hitman, when compared to say Red Dead Revolver or Max Payne 2, no blood when you shoot enemies (wtf) no hand to hand fighting, 4 head shots do the same as 4 leg shots e.t.c....a right bloody mess. Well it's better than Mafia, though that's not bloody hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X