Powerdrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerdrome

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet cause it's a little cracker.

Being a bit of a sci-fi racer fan I've been hankering after this one for a
    while, especially with it being a remake of the classic that kicked off the
    whole futuristic racing genre. Thankfully it looks like Mike Powell has done
    his original brain child justice.

These kinds of racers and ten-a-penny nowadays, but the one thing that
    Powerdrome has over the Wipeouts and F-Zeros of this world is the immersive atmosphere. The soft hues that bathe the circuits are pleasant change from the harsh neon colours that plaster most racers of this ilk. Then there's the way scenery makes whooshing sounds as you blast past at 1000kph, and how the cockpit starts to shake as you reach those top speeds giving you the sense that you're right on the edge of control. It's the closest thing I've played that feels like the pod race from Episode 1.

The game's structure is pretty standard (beat one event to move on to the next few) granted, but there's plenty of stuff to unlock so it should keep me going for a while. The handling was alittle bit twitchy at first, but I soon got used to it and stopped pinballing around the circuits. In motion it is probably one of the most visually impressive games I've seen recently, it really does stand out from the crowd.

Anyone else picked up a copy?

I was a huge fan of the original and very crap at it both for the same reason...the control mechanism.

Can you say a bit more about the control of the new one?

Comment

Couldn't find many reviews, on gamerankings.com it got an average of 68%, is it the USA version you have or is the UK one out yet ? not out yet according to play or Game.
      Looks like my sort of racer though, what sort of options are there on live, is there a time trial leaderboard ?

Thanks.

Edit: it's out 6th August here.
      Last edited by VR46; 23-06-2004, 19:58.

Comment

It's pretty basic, just right trigger to accelerate and left trigger to brake, there's no left and right air brakes or anything. On top of that you can boost and even draft your opponents.

It's the US version. Not sure on the Live aspects of the game as I've not gotten around to hooking my Xbox up yet.
        Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 23-06-2004, 20:58.

Comment

It's getting a ?20 release here in August, and it's online so i think i'll pick it up

Comment

Oooh I had completely forgotten about this one... got any more info for us Monkeywrench?

- Any chance you know if its region free or not?

- 16:9 compatible?

- System link options?

cheers mate.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
              It's pretty basic, just right trigger to accelerate and left trigger to brake, there's no left and right air brakes or anything.
              That seems a bit of a shame after the balancing act required in the original. Stil can't wait to pick it up though.

Comment

It's not too bad, you control your blade like it was an F1 car by following the racing line as smoothly as possible. The airbrake thing seems to have become a requirement of any game of this type, but it actual fact it's not really needed at all, well not in this game anyway.

In answer to nonny's questions. Not sure if the region is locked. Yes it supports 16:9 (looks frickin' incredible), and not sure on the system link options, will let you know when I fire it up when get home from work.

Comment

MW.

any chance you can find out and post the findings in here then? I would love this game, especially if it has system link (have two xboxes at home)... cheers mate.

If its region free I would import it in a heartbeat. Where did you get your copy as I cant see it online anywhere?

Comment

Yes it supports system link (2 or more xbox's), plus 4 player split screen and not to mention xblive.

Comment

XBox live enabled on-line play or just times etc?

Comment

also supports split screen over live if anyone is interested - you can log multiple people in on one xbox - not seen anything else doing this really. bit of a novelty perhaps, but good fun.

if anyone has any specific questions about this one, I'm pretty well placed to answer em

Comment

Just picked this up today for ?19.99 and it's much better than I thought it would be, the graphics are just incredible and it moves so fast and so very smoothly. I also like the track design, very good.

I used to love the original on my Atari ST and it makes a nice change not to have weapons in a futuristic racer for a change, only pure racing. Also you can boost chains like Burnout 1 and 2.

From what I can gather nobody bought this title which is a shame really as it's very well put together.

Anyone got the PS2 version ? I would be interested to know how that turned out..
                          Last edited by Unwell Cat; 20-12-2004, 23:34.

Comment

Nobody is EVER on Xbox Live for this nice game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sega Ages
                              Nobody is EVER on Xbox Live for this nice game.
                              Shame really as I imagine it's probably quite good, you really have to practice the tracks though to get the hang of the whole brake / slide thing..

Comment

Working...
                              X