Indy Car Series 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indy Car Series 2005

(out now on PAL PS2 & XBox) - rrp only ?29.99. Xbox version reviewed.

Being a big F1 fan this was the cloesest I was going to get to F1 on my Xbox, pleased to say it doesn't disappoint, read some good, some bad reviews before getting it but these are my opinions;

Firstly first menu, quick race, Indy Series (full season mode), Indy 500 race, Masterclass (8 lessons such as car control, pitting etc), Multiplayer, Options.
    All self explanatory really, Multiplayer is: Live/System Link/Split screen, on Live you have the normal quick search/optimatch/leaderboards etc.

Live option is very user friendly and there are quite a few people online with ICS2005. Upto 12 humans and 13 CPU controlled cars per race, a record for Live ?

The leaderboards show best ranked players/yourself and friends by times and overall score (based on average speeds mainly).

Options; Lots of options to change controller configuration to suit everyone, there's also a couple of options to set up steering wheel sensitivity etc, options to adjust AI to match you/full strength and all the other usual racing game things.

Now the important bit; gameplay/graphics.

Gameplay, handling is great, very realistic wether at high or low speeds, you spin out if your tyres are cold, settings galore for all you techies out there (toe in/out etc). On screen race HUD evem lets you adjust petrol/air combination etc in race, and tells you all the usual stuff, tyre condititon, speed, slipstream level etc.

The computer AI is good also, computer controlled cars crash and spin out on their own, they don't just follow one racing line, they slipstream, try to overtake etc.
    Race distances can be set from 10 laps to full distance (upto 500 miles!). Each lap is about 20 to 45 seconds in length.

Graphics, tracks can seem a bit bland, but hey your racing on a oval circuit with just the wall/crowd/sky to look at, overall car detail is high though, also, there is odd pop up on Xbox version which is slightly annoying but you do get used to it.

A good 8 out of 10 from me so far, will update this somewhat rushed post when I've played some more tomorrow.

That's my first First Play done, any questions just ask ...
    Last edited by VR46; 26-06-2004, 19:54.

I bought the original Indycar Series last year (on the tail of a decent review in Edge - although GamesTM hated it).

Did enjoy it then but it quickly got stale. Having played this 2005 iteration I found little improvement over its predecessor (save maybe the odd improved texture) but nothing to make me think I had spent my money well.

People just won't enjoy this game unless you are a fan of Indy Car. Graphics, sound and gameplay can only be described as bland and if you want an exciting driving game this is not it. As a sim of Indy Car though it is pretty decent but the biggest handicap with the XBox version I have is the lack of a decent Logitech FF wheel for the Brick. If I wanted to get really immersed in a season I would liked to have played it with a good wheel, but with the pad it gets really boring very quickly.

Bland.

Comment

As I didn't buy an predecessors, I obviously find it much more enjoyable than you Mr Ono, as I said the graphics are bland. After PGR2 & RSC2 we are spoilt and have very very high expectations, no other racing games even touch them at present, but I'm enjoying this at the moment, and think it'll grow on me even more once I get into car set-ups etc, but then again I am "Mr Statistic" and would think nothing of spending an hour on one track to improve by time by a tenth or so.

Comment

Bought it on Saturday, PS2. Avid F1 fan but getting bored. I love motorsport of all kinds. Best motorsport SIM ive ever played. Loads to tweak. Need help with masterclass advanced handling. I cant get the average speed increased more than 222. I'm enjoying trying but I fear need some help. HELP!!!!!!!

Comment

It's quite a simple masterclass if you know what to change as that speed can be easily beaten, but it does require a bit of knowledge and various testing to get a balanced car.

The only tip I will give you is to only alter your gear ratios and wing setups as they are the most vital part of any setup, and by just changing them appropriately you can pass with a Gold on this masterclass.

Comment

If you can reach 222 then just set the wings for a little less downforce (less angle on them - not sure what the adjustments are in this game) and try again. Repeat the process until you reach the desired speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman
              If you can reach 222 then just set the wings for a little less downforce (less angle on them - not sure what the adjustments are in this game) and try again. Repeat the process until you reach the desired speed.
              Your forgetting that you have to be able to take corners still. If you push your wings to far you'll find yourself in the barrier. Just adjusting your wings will not allow you to pass the challenge thats for sure.

Comment

I was assuming that it would be possible to make small adjustments to increase top speed sufficiently without the car drifting too much.

Comment

But that would have been to easy

Comment

I think I'm right in saying all tracks can be taken flat out (no letting go of accelerator button) once your tyres are warmed up fully, the setting up of the car makes a huge difference on this game, I'm up to 5th overall on Nashville - my claim to fame of the day.

Need some Live friends who have this game, feel free to add me.

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss
                      I think I'm right in saying all tracks can be taken flat out
                      You can set up your car so that you can take every corner without letting go of the accelerator (providing you take a good line into the corner), but this isn't always the best way to get the fatest lap time. Sometimes its better to get more straight line speed and just ease off on the corners e.g. @ Gateway. But the key thing is that you should never have to use break, only use in emergency situations.

Comment

brake, what's that ?, worst I have to do is let off accelerator for tenth of a second or so

Comment

Can anyone comment on the Ps2 version?
                          Is it 60hz? How?s the framerate?
                          Does it support 900 degree mode for the DFP wheel?
                          (I know you don?t need 900? for an Indy Car vehicle, but it allows for smoother steering nonetheless)

Also, are there any tracks included that have more than just left turns? Maybe a test track?
                          (Sorry, I?m not too familiar with the Indy Car Series - just a few impressions from EuroSport coverage)
                          Last edited by Balou; 13-07-2004, 19:31.

Comment

Balou, don't know about the PS2 stuff, but the tracks are all ovals, you only ever press right to exit the pits

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss
                              I think I'm right in saying all tracks can be taken flat out (no letting go of accelerator button) once your tyres are warmed up fully, the setting up of the car makes a huge difference on this game, I'm up to 5th overall on Nashville - my claim to fame of the day.

Need some Live friends who have this game, feel free to add me.
                              you can take turn 3 at Nazereth flat out at 195 mph?

I dont think so.

I have 179mph best speed not shabby

Comment

Working...
                              X