Gaming Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming Standards

There should be a law saying PAL games should have 60hz modes.
    Seriously pisses me off playing PAL games with no 60hz option, it's like it could be SO much better if they spent 5 minutes putting one in. PS2 is most guilty, atleast Nintendo and Microsoft realised this before they released there consoles over here.

All consoles should come with a decent quality RGB lead.
    The cables that come with consoles are ****. simple as that really. They are mainly packed in due to the fact that about 3% of people still have **** TV's with no scart socket. They basicly know that your gonna have to buy another lead off them and they'll take a bit of extra income anyday. sods.

All games should support Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.
    Before I wasn't too bothered but since gaining a decent sound system, it really does make a difference when a game has surround sound output.

All games should come with screen positioning in the options.
    Ever notice some games leave a gap on the side of the screen? this should be fixed!

All consoles should have 4 controler ports
    Once again PS2 is most guilty for not having 4 slots. Thanks to that I don't think I've ever played a 4 player game on PS2. But I have fond memories of Goldeneye, Pefect Dark on the N64, Halo for XBox and Super Smash Bros Melee for GC.

Add your own if you have any

Every game should support 16:9 widescreen mode
    Pisses me off no end having to play games as a stretched image or boxed out in the centre of the screen. Widescreen sets are very common these days, come on. Consoles like Xbox have it right with widescreen, HDTV, surround sound and 60hz toggles built into the dashboard, it should be a requirement for every game to actually take advantage of them.

Comment

All games should be playtested to see if they are any good before they are released.

Comment

Cheers to that! Adam

Comment

US Box art shouldn't be done by nob heads.

Comment

ALL Games should have button config in the options!
            There is NOTHING that irritates me more than playing USA region games where they have mapped X = yes, /\ or O = no, it makes NO sence to me and it's always HUGE games like RPGs which dont offer the option to re-config.

ALL games should have subtitles
            This should be made LAW! - not only for those with hearing difficulties but for people like me who HATE English dubbing with a vengeance and would rather play silent with subtitles! (makes RPGs better IMO - like reading a really good book *FF7* - not cringing everytime that dickhead Tidus opens his mouth *FFX* )
            In fact these days there is NO excuse for dual language - DVDs have original dialogue; why do games still have to lag so far behind.

In fact make it against the law to dub over Japanese voice acting!

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
              ALL games should have subtitles
              This should be made LAW! - not only for those with hearing difficulties but for people like me who HATE English dubbing with a vengeance and would rather play silent with subtitles! (makes RPGs better IMO - like reading a really good book *FF7* - not cringing everytime that dickhead Tidus opens his mouth *FFX* )
              In fact these days there is NO excuse for dual language - DVDs have original dialogue; why do games still have to lag so far behind.

In fact make it against the law to dub over Japanese voice acting!
              I totally agree. Tidus`s voice in FF10 International makes me feel sick- and actually ruins the game for me.

Similarly I heard about the poor poor voice acting they`ve put into the Western version of Soul Calibur 2 (from you of course Saur)- it sounds so bad its funny. Why couldn`t they stick with doing what they did in Western ports of Soul Calibur 1? Do companies think the West has an aversion to subtitles or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam
                All games should come with screen positioning in the options.
                Ever notice some games leave a gap on the side of the screen? this should be fixed!
                Amen to that brother My Sony 4:3 can suffer quite badly from RGB screen shift and its infuriating when you find you can't compensate for it in the in game options.

Comment

Giftpia should be given a full english release WITH decent box art WITH no changes to storyline or artwork WITH a free gift limited edition PeeVee doll WITH no hassles, no strings attached, no 2004 delays, no dumb adverts, no toning down for the western market and no meddling!

Comment

Load + Save on Memory card 2 - *looks at the WE series*

Comment

I think a dual language option is the only way forward.

Whilst there are people like yourselves who hate the English dubbing in games, I know people who won't play a game if the voices aren't translated and rely on subtitles. Gamea are supposed to be a multimedia experience, yet I find having to read what is being said somewhat primitve, and infinitely less emersive. agreed, a bad voiceover has the same effect, but if the developers don't continue to at least make the effort of doing english voiceovers, they are never going to improve.

TBH, we really should be past the point now where we can't have decent english voiceovers in games.

Comment

Ennit

But like anime - it's so much better to hear the voices the designers chose for the characters, not some twat from a cheap agency reading off a screen, English voices dont suit Japanese characters at all - from the voice tone and the lack of real emotion - I hate American voice for japanese characters. The only way I would play FFX is if I could re-burn the game and isolate/remove the voice audio - the voice acting in that game totally killed it for me and I couldnt carry on playing. C'mon - you dont buy films like Crouching Tiger and watch it dubbed!! >_< - it's awful no matter who does it!

There is no reason why they couldnt have an option to switch off the voices. When you read the text you build the characters in your mind and it's so much better than hearing Tidus do his "Wonder Years" style narration! >_<

Comment

Ennit

But like anime - it's so much better to hear the voices the designers chose for the characters, not some twat from a cheap agency reading off a screen, English voices dont suit Japanese characters at all - from the voice tone and the lack of real emotion - I hate American voice for japanese characters. The only way I would play FFX is if I could re-burn the game and isolate/remove the voice audio - the voice acting in that game totally killed it for me and I couldnt carry on playing. C'mon - you dont buy films like Crouching Tiger and watch it dubbed!! >_< - it's awful no matter who does it!

There is no reason why they couldnt have an option to switch off the voices. When you read the text you build the characters in your mind and it's so much better than hearing Tidus do his "Wonder Years" style narration! >_<
                          Absolutely.

More films which would be/are awful with dubbing-

Starlingrad- OMG- the dubbing in this makes me sick
                          7 Samarai
                          Amelie
                          and just about any French film

If its the case with with these films, why would Western game studios get any better with their dubbing? Like Saurian indicated, the whole voice- dubbing process is flawed, and rarely comes off well, whether in film or games.

Comment

you dont buy films like Crouching Tiger and watch it dubbed!! >_< - it's awful no matter who does it!
                            I lent a mate my copy of Crouching Tiger, & when he returned it he told me he'd watched the dubbed version - I asked why & he said "If I wanted to read, I'd buy a book"

Comment

Originally posted by charlie angel
                              you dont buy films like Crouching Tiger and watch it dubbed!! >_< - it's awful no matter who does it!
                              I lent a mate my copy of Crouching Tiger, & when he returned it he told me he'd watched the dubbed version - I asked why & he said "If I wanted to read, I'd buy a book"
                              Sad...

My brother is the same - but I dont talk to him

Comment

Working...
                              X