Burnout 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnout 3

Managed to obtain a copy of this PS2 demo which has been on various demo pods in shops I believe.

It's only a single map demo with one car to choose from but already you can see the potential of this game and how it already looks so much better than Burnout 2!

The level on view is a city street level much the same as the City level on GT4: Prologue but on here the streets are packed with cars moving at a phenomenal pace.

One of the first things I noticed was the road textures. Far more prominent and darker than BO2. The streets are busier with objects to bump into sparks are very large when scraping past cars, walls etc.

The crash replays are also improved with higher crashes and a better deforming of the cars. Oh, and sparks are bigger too. One other thing I noticed was a sort of takedown replay which when you take a car out by forcing him to crash the game freezes and focuses on that crash to show you your handy work before resuming. This only works with your race rivals I believe. Oh, and pressing R1 in crash replay mode shows it all in glorious slo-mo. Very nice.

Sound is pretty much similar to BO2 (ie. top notch) and the speed and smoothness of it all is also maintained. On this challenging cityscape level I didn't spot a single bit of pop up - although the blurring effect used in BO where the buildings and cars blur passed you are used more I think.

This demo augers well for the full release and I have to say that it is impressive.

Couple of poor screenshots for you attached.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr Ono; 02-09-2004, 17:35. Reason: Titale amended to reflect imminent release of game.

As I've said before, you can really see the difference between EA's production values and those held by Acclaim with Burnout 3. Personally, I'm amazed it even runs on a PS2... it looks lovely.

Originally posted by Mr Ono
    Oh, and pressing R1 in crash replay mode shows it all in glorious slo-mo. Very nice.
    When you crash, you can actually use a combination of R1 and the analogue stick to add aftertouch to your car's movement... not too much, but enough so that if there are other enemy cars behind you, you can often take them out and get a combo bonus. Very nice.

Six stage preview code we've got is lovely, but... well, I need some finished review code. Like, now.

Comment

Mart, can you tell us if they've added in the 'Burnout' effect (ala BO2)? The demo effect when Burning out is very...non-exsistent. I can't imagine they'd remove it from the game, but you never know.

Also, do the other levels have decent amount of traffic on them? The demo I played pretty much only had the opposition on the streets.

Comment

Six stage preview?! Darn.

Anyway, further views on the gameplay. The "Takedown" replays, whilst a nice novelty, quickly started to annoy - as they interupt the flow of the game. Hope there is an option to turn them off.

The lusher and more texture heavy graphics also mean that cars are more difficult to see in the distance. BO2 cars were pretty much prime coloured so you can spot them on the horizon to allow you time to react. I found the cars on the City level quite difficult to spot.

martTM - I was wondering what the aftertouch was for. Cheers.

Comment

Anybody know if its down for a Gamecube release and if so will it be about the time of the PS2/Xbox one this time.

Comment

Originally posted by martTM

Six stage preview code we've got is lovely, but... well, I need some finished review code. Like, now.
            Why bother? Just review the preview code and say you were promised any bugs would be removed before release

(btw that's a subtle comment about Driv3r reviews and nothing to do with GamesTM's reviews or reviewers)

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole
              Anybody know if its down for a Gamecube release and if so will it be about the time of the PS2/Xbox one this time.
              Not coming out on GC

Comment

The Burnout team at Criterion have genius running through their veins. Over the past few years they have proven that UK teams can compete and even beat the Japanese when it comes to making arcade style visually astonishing racing titles.

The Burnout games have always pushed the technology barriers and No3 looks to be the most advanced PS2 title ever conceived, it really is amazing.

Comment

Not coming out for GC, which is a surprise seeing it's EA, they'd push it out on the PS1 if they could.

Nevermind, im sure we've all got more than just a cube, eh?

Comment

Just had a go one the demo on Official PS2 Magazine UK, and it's damned good fun. About the graphics, tho, they are definitely an improvement, but did anyone else find that the car model seems somewhat lo-fi compared to Burnout 2? Or maybe I'm just looking at it funny...

It certainly seems like a satisfying twist to the series, the emphasis on rivals and causing them damage. Shaping up well as far as I can tell!

Comment

I want this game immediately.

Comment

Just tried the demo, not bad, not great. Burnout 2 plays better imo. It`s all down to whether you like the concept of ramming things to boost your gauge or not. I don`t, i prefer the shimmying through through traffic like in the first 2. Fantastic graphics though.

Comment

to games TM guys

have you played the xbox version?
                          if so can you tell me if the game supports the memory card, BO2 doesn't and it pisses me off good and proper not being able to swap my files between my xboxs.

cheers
                          YW

Comment

Pickd up the demo this morning, **** I've never seen a PS2 game look this good.

It's addictive enough stuff, not really the same sort of game anymore, but should be a right laugh online. My only complaint is that it's too 'slidey' as if everything is covered with oil or something, like I keep expcting to crash into barriers and traffic, but instead I seem to slide off them. I guess this is to accomodate rubbish players, but I much prefer the more realistic collision detection in Burnout 1; like in that game I knew when I'd hit something and it definitely felt like it was my fault.

Takedowns are bloody dangerous for both parties though, I took myself out lots of times trying to wipe an opponent off the road and similarly I'd get awarded a takedown when I was just speeding along minding my own business

The aftertouch is alright but it seems a bit limited when you can't always see your oncoming rivals. Anyway, my preorder is staying put, it's playing better than Burnout 2 at least.

Comment

Nevermind, im sure we've all got more than just a cube, eh?
                              I think an Xbox will be on my wants list after I've played this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X