Street Fighter III 3rd Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike

Not quite sure this topic is needed since it's been discussed to death for the DC version...

Anyway, the LE pack is quite nice, though i've yet to look at the masterplay DVD, jigsaw and gamest mook.

Gamewise, it's pretty much your standard SFIII fare that we all know and love. Though being based off the arcade revision (Guard Judgement set to 'OLD' - you can change to the Dreamcast revision if you want in the options menu, which is 'NEW') now means unblockables for certain characters work, Yun's Genei-Jin Super Art # 3 isn't quite as b0rked as it was on the DC. Certain combos working that didn't before on the DC as well.
    Can't say i've tried them out though since i'm pap, but i'm pretty sure the regular SFIII officianados will be pleased it plays more or less like the arcade now.

Graphically with the 'filter' set to ON, it looks quite nice (kinda like playing it on FinalBurn Alpha ;p) - nicer than the Dreamcast at least, not quite sure if this will sit well with pixel-purists. There is the option to have normal pixel graphics if you so desire. Though i've read that it doesn't look quite as good as the Dreamcast or arcade. i wouldn't know since the likelyhood of me seeing a 3rd Strike machine is... well, limited.
    There's no borders on the left & right of the screen, which was seen on the DC port.

You can have either the original arcade soundtrack or the dreamcast remix. Now instead, where before in the DC version, each and every round starts off with a different mix; for the PS2, the music from the 1st round still continues into the 2nd round for a few seconds, before it 'mixes' into the 2nd round tune.
    if you follow me...

Not much all else i can add that hasn't already been said about it.
    Last edited by jimtendo; 30-07-2004, 06:53.

Cheers for the impressions. Mine's on its way (LE as well). Shame the boxart doesn't look as good as the standard edition, from the pics I've seen.

Comment

Don't worry treb.
      The art of Chun-Li doing her birdkick is not the game art - just the big box art. The game you will get inside the box is the same cover as the regular retail ones.

Comment

Did anybody get Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (PS2/ JPN) from Play Asia and got a free Ken 'doing a fireball pose' keyring for free?

That was so nice of Play Asia throwing that in for me!

Comment

phillai - I got a Gouki keyring with mine

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D
            phillai - I got a Gouki keyring with mine
            same here...tis very swish

Comment

Can someone please explain to me the proper tactics whilst playing Street Fighter III 3rd Strike?

I have recently got the PS2 version but I have never played Street Fighter III 3rd Strike what so ever in the arcades and I'm finding it very hard to adjust.

I'm much more used to old school SF and I'm not too bad whilst playing KOF but whilst playing Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, I can seem to adjust to what I'm suppose to be doing properly...

Is it a case of me attempting to master the parry system?

Comment

My shockingly good comeback victory against a ChunLi who frankly kicked my ass in the previous round can be found here - http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/videos/Streetfighter3.wmv - this will be the accompanying video for the forthcoming review btw. :P
                Last edited by marcus; 31-07-2004, 23:01.

Comment

Lol, I hope not

BTW, I can't open that in Firefox, only I.E.

Comment

Attempting to master the parry system is a start But remember, there is no need to attempt to parry everything...a habit that has taken me ages to get out of . The simple fact is, you need to attack as well :P

Best way to ease yourself into Parrying is when some one is attempting an air attack against you like a Flying kick (duh :P ). Most proberbly after you have been knocked down, be alert and wait for the attack, soon as you see it, tap FORWARD. Soon as the Parry Clash occurs, do a quick move such as a Dragon punch, Hard Kick, Crounching Hard Punch (Differs from character to character) or even a Super Art move to make the best of the parry.

You will soon find that few well placed parries and counter attacks do alot for your game and absolutely own the other player. ;O

Best to go into Practice mode and go into the "Dummy Options" and make a recording of a character just doing simple attacks like a fireball, standing\flying kick just so you can get the timing right. You can parry in the air as well using forward (VERY useful against Dragon Punching players and Other Air attacks like Remy's Flash kick), and also parry ground attacks by tapping down.

Soon as you get more comfortable with parrying, record the dummy to do Special moves such as Dragon Punches, Running Moves etc etc...and even some Super Arts, but dont worry about that yet

It may seem like alot, but once you succefully start parrying a few times, it will become secound nature. Proberbly easier to think of it as blocking, but instead of timing it to the last moment and pressing back you press forward. Obviosley parrying should be done sparingly as if you mess it up...you will be eating the other players attack\combo. >____<

Another tip that is that use the throw when ever you can, which is done with LP+LK pressed togeather. This will stop annoying people just "turtling" in the corner blocking all your attacks.

Also, mix up your attacks when an opponent is grounded, such as an overhead attack, or quickly dash towards [Tap FWD twice] the player and attempt a sneaky throw. Hope that is enough to get you started.

Sorry if you knew all this...ive also been playing this a lot lately in my spare time...but shame i only know 2 people around my area who play SF3 :/ Cant wait for the Xbox online version.
                    Last edited by jassi singh; 31-07-2004, 23:25.

Comment

Me > Singho at sf3 :P

Learn to parry, learn how to counter every move that can be thrown at you, and learn how to chain attacks together and you'll iwn. E.g. with my makoto I do a 236P into 236236P to get a guaranteed super on every time, as long as the first 236P hits. Just gotta play around with it and see.

Comment

1 Round out of 8 matches mean nowt Boog. :P

Comment

I was playing on a ****ty pad :P

Comment

Believe me, I didn't know a lot of this that you've told me, jassi singh!

And yet I would class myself as very good on the old school SF's too...

I'm finding it a touch slow for my liking at the moment but I am trying to force myself into 'liking' this game.

My main problem with Street Fighter III 3rd Strike is, it just doesn't feel right when compared to the old school SF's and also KOF... Or is it me just talking crap here?
                            Last edited by phillai; 31-07-2004, 23:33.

Comment

It's a very different game. Doesn't play like the old-skool SF's or KoF at all, although I wouldn't say it's slower.

Comment

Working...
                              X