KoF: Maximum Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KoF: Maximum Impact

I haven't played the game an awful lot (only an hour or 2) so bear in mind these are only initial impressions.

Where to start...

Players will have an instant (but only initial) familiarity with this, I have only played with a few characters but from what I have seen all known characters have all their specials, supers etc. which made me fell right at home.

You still have the roll forwards and backwards as an evasion technique but now with the game being 3D you also have side steps both up and down.

However I have some gripes...

They have introduced a chain combo system which although can look impressive appears very basic, and very annoying! Simply pressing one button repeatedly can lead up to 4 and 5 hit combos being produced.

This system IMO makes the game really quite spamtastic! I have literally be able to kill the A.I. by constantly bashing 1 button, producing this 4 hit combo which the A.I. seemed to struggle with (especially when they are pinned against a wall) however I am only playing on normal difficulty. This also works both ways however, with A.I. spamming over you as you get up and as such lead to you being instantly knocked down again.

Also they have included being able to hit players on the ground with any number off attacks. e.g. when someone in knocked to the floor you are able to constantly crouching kick the player until they get up. (This lead to a massively annoying boss fight in which after he knocked me to the floor killed me by doing 2 crouching kicks, super, 2 crouching kicks, super!!)

It is possible to safe fall, but still...

It is graphically quite appeasing, seeing some of your favourite characters in 3D with each character having their own completely new, original look.
    Some nice environments also with the possibility of wall juggles.

However some animations (such as jumping) I find aren't very fluid which gives the gives a feeling of jerkiness during play.

There is a story mode but unforunately I don't understand Japanese and so am unable to comment

There is also a challenge mode of 40 missions to complete. These don't seem to have a lot of variance however and seem to come more from luck rather than skill.

I don't know if I'm being harsh on this game, I am a big fan on the 2D KoF and really wanted to like this.
    Its true that I haven't played it enough or maybe that I am trying to play it like the 2D incarnation which is generally a mistake. Maybe if I play it a bit more and get used to the games style and I may enjoy it more but currently but I can't help feeling a little let down by this title.

You are being too harsh on the game - as usual. If you want to stand there and hit a button repeatedly that's up to you - but when I was watching a friend who's a damn good KOF head play it wasnt anything like you explained.

The combo system is actually more like Real Bout - and it's a lot of fun, any game where you have Raging Storm into Double Reppu-Ken happening after basic exploration of the system is TINGS!

It's a simplified game in relation to the past KOF games, they most likely want to try and appeal to lighter players too - but simplicity doesnt mean it's rubbish, it's fun like Rival Schools (OTT but not too OTT)
    Last edited by Saurian; 16-08-2004, 14:09.

Comment

anyone got any vids of it in action, im quite intrigued by it, im a huge fan of KOF a light hearted version might go down quite well with my "not into games much" mates.

Comment

Who's on the roster? I'm tempted to get it but Rock's gotta be in it

Comment

Originally posted by Ion
          anyone got any vids of it in action, im quite intrigued by it
          Gamespot have a few promo movies and gameplay videos:

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Comment

I'm interested in this too, and for the same reason as Ion. There is certainly room in my games collection for a light hearted, OTT fighter with the KoF roster.

Comment

Also tempted to go with this same reason as Soi and Ion, play asia have it with some extras:

-The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact
              -59 pages move guide book
              -Bonus DVD

official english site

Comment

I should be getting this in soon, I'll let you know my impressions.

Originally posted by Saurian
                You are being too harsh on the game - as usual. If you want to stand there and hit a button repeatedly that's up to you - but when I was watching a friend who's a damn good KOF head play it wasnt anything like you explained.

The combo system is actually more like Real Bout - and it's a lot of fun, any game where you have Raging Storm into Double Reppu-Ken happening after basic exploration of the system is TINGS!
                Just look at the GC Naruto fighters to find games that have really easy combos but plenty of depth to them. They rawk

Comment

tbh after looking at the videos I'm a little dissapointed that it doesn't appear to be truely 3D, unless I'm missing something...

Comment

Originally posted by VoyagerFX
                    -59 pages move guide book
                    Silly question probably but is this in English ?

Comment

Originally posted by Janski
                      tbh after looking at the videos I'm a little dissapointed that it doesn't appear to be truely 3D, unless I'm missing something...
                      It's not a full 3D beat em up although sidestepping is possible, it plays like Rival Schools (a 2D beat em up with certain 3D elements). Characters have set strings by button presses at a basic level, but once you grasp the system you can string all sorts of strikes, specials and supers together.

Silly question probably but is this in English ?
                      The game's menus are English with Japanese descriptions, Story Mode obviously is Japanese as well as what you'd expect with characters speech (mixed English and Japanese)

The US version I hear is going to have all Japanese dialogue removed with no option to get it back.

Comment

Played it VERY briefly and am liking it a lot. It's a pretty well balanced game in terms of difficulty to get in to.

Also I like Lien, i don't normally go for this sort of thing but she has got the best Bristols in all of gaming-dom!

Comment

Anyone know what the DVD that comes with the game has on?

Comment

It's got Clark bussing at least 3 standing hits into a super - that's all you need to see! XD

Clark pwn$ in this game - HARD!

Comment

I always found clark limiting and to some degree usless in the older versions, especially KOF 95! I always go iori, he is like the ken of KOF. It will be intresting to see if this translate well, or end up palying like SF ex. (shudder).

Comment

Working...
                              X