Assault Suits Valken (PS2 port)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assault Suits Valken (PS2 port)

It's a really really faithful port, but with the added bonus of being much prettier (the sprites are at a higher resolution and the lighting effects are quite nice too, the music has also been re-arranged for the more advanced hardware).

As a port though, it is pretty barren. It really is just the game and very little else (thus far). Admittedly, there is a stage select option but this is clearly aimed entirely at fans of the original game.

The best description of the game is that it's basically Assault Suits Valken "deluxe" (though whether you regard this a good or a bad thing is entirely down to how much of a cynic you are).

Like the original though, it's cracking fun!

I picked this up recently and I agree with the above post. If you're a fan of the original, you'll love it, as it's basically a touched up version of the SNES copy. Only problem I have with it is that the mech doesn't feel weighty compared to the original. Furthermore, it doesn't make any sound when walking! Apart from that , thumbs up!

Comment

Thanks guys , one of my favourite games on the SFC along with Axelay.I have to admit I never did get to finish it so maybe ill pick this up .

Comment

Cos' I loves ya...

It's still as hard as the original (maybe a little more so), but the resolution and clarity of the sprites is noticeably better.

Comment

just bought this baby for my snes.. cant wait to have a blast again!..

Comment

I managed to have a quick shot of this and I have to say I was a bit disappointed...

I loved the original and I had high hopes for this but I was sadly let down. The graphical enhancements were meagre to say the least, there was sooooo much more they could have done...Also the remixed music really didn't appeal (again I was a fan of the originals) altho I expect there to be some kind of way to unlock the original music.

It is harder than the original...from what I can gather I only played the first 2 levels but noticed no health pick ups of any kind (which the original did)

I think Venom might be right about the weight of the mech, it just didn't feel right to control IMO but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

Now I know it was a budget release but I personally expected more

Comment

Goeman, I played this very briefly before I sent it out for review and my initial reaction is the same as yours, I loved the SNES original but playing this, now, hurts badly for me. I fail to see the point in these releases unless the developers put some sort of effort into it, I couldnt see anything that would encourage me to play this over the SNES one myself but bear in mind mine wasnt as extensive a playtest as Cackys.

Comment

It seems crazy releasing the game again anyway and making-out its like some deluxer uber version is bull****.

Stick with the Snes version, great graphics, gameplay and sound.

Comment

Working...
                X