Star Ocean - Till the End of Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Ocean - Till the End of Time

Thanks to tronix and fedex I got this today. So far the game has been interesting the game begins like most rpgs with the intro to the characters Fayt and Sophia and then the battle system tutorial. The battle system is similar to Tales of Symphonia but it takes place on 3D plain instead. Every character has a fury gauge every time a character performs an action they use some fury, you have weak and strong attacks if a character has 100% fury they can block weak attacks so you need to use a strong attack to break the guard then move in with weak attacks you can counter strong attacks and so can the enemy so be careful. Its worth saying that you can die in battle if you MP drops to zero but so can you enemies so this open certain strategies. You can assign different moves to the strong and weak attack button, which opens up various combos. You have different attacks depending on your distance from the enemy. You also have symbology (magic) but I have note really used it much yet.

Also it is worth mentioning that you need 1200kb of space on you memory card if you want to save you game and have a battle collection and you can only create a battle collection at the start of a game. A battle collection is a series of trophies you can collect when meeting certain conditions in battle and can be carried across multiple save as is kept in a separate save file.

This is all I can post a the moment without spoilers so I?ll post more latter but kudos to sqaure-enix for the widescreen support and progressive scan support.

Got this on order from Video Games Plus, so hoping it'll be with me today or tomorrow.

Really looking forward to this.

Comment

Ill add a more coherent edit when my hideously painful toothache has subsided but for now I just had to give this game a little rave and say that this is one of,if not THE,most engrossing console RPG's Ive played in a long while.

In fact,its well on the way to becoming my favourite RPG of this generation - its drawn me in to its world in a way few mangage to do - I dont know what it is...just everything.The characters,the environments,the battle system,the haunting,epic orchestral score - Im in an RPG stat-pumping,treasure-chest opening,cut-scene loving,item creating,battle trophy collecting,hard-as-nails-secret boss fearing,optional character finding heaven

It treads mostly familiar ground but does it with confidence and flair - my wisest purchase of the year so far.

EDIT:"familiar ground"? - "confidence and flair"? - I sound like one of EDGE's more cliched reviews.*Note to self - dont post comments at 1 am when your tired and half-delirious with toothache and codeine*.

Next thing I'll be saying things like "more than the sum of its parts" or "a significant evolution" - hmm,Im pretty good at this...wonder if they'd give me a job?.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2004, 21:24.

Comment

I shall be getting this, especially after the wonderful ToS, but I think I shall wait a while - slot Star Ocean in between Burnout3 and Halo 2.

Thanks for the impressions, it sounds great.

Comment

So how does it compare to Star Ocean 2?

Comment

Originally posted by gossi the dog
            So how does it compare to Star Ocean 2?
            I haven't played SO2 for more than a few hours so I cant make comparisons.(In the Japanese ver. at least there are stronger connections - though not story-wise - to Valkyrie Profile than SO2)I think some would say its sleeker and more refined whilst others would probably consider it 'dumbed down' in some aspects.For the record this game is 'stand alone' and is not a sequel,there are a few scattered references to events in SO2 and thats it.Im certain though that there are plenty of SO2 fans who'l love having a good 'ole whinge about it....

I like the dictionary in the menu with seperate listings for 'people' 'places' etc.I love that stuff.Seems after conversations and events new descriptions are continually added.Im not really that far into the game and theres already enough to fill a novel.Really fleshes things out if you have the patience to read it.Bigger than the one in Xenosaga.Hope it becomes a more common feature in rpg's.

The variety of creatures is great.I heard theres about 450 and I can believe it.Some pallette swaps I guess but still....
            And the designs are wonderful I think - the level of detail fascinates me.Especially in the towns - the reflections from the glass,the mirrors,the desk cluttered with books and paraphernalia - I love going into the houses in the village deep in snow and noticing that through the door (which is now ajar) you can see the cold winds blowing in.You can really see the care and attention to detail Norimoto's team put into this.

Ive recently got into the invention system - creating new items,improving old ones,recruiting new inventors scattered throughout the game world.This deserves a topic of its own.Some buggers will moan about it for sure - theres a random element involved and and it can be extremely costly and unless you get it right you'l fail more often than not (cue a quick game reload) but you can make the most powerful stuff in the game this way and besides - its optional.

I love the orchestral score - I wish it was ALL orchestral though.Some areas have the whole wailing guitar/synth/drum loop thing going on a bit too much - makes me want to scream.And theres rapping.Its just so bloody naff.And unfortunately the battle music/victory theme isn't orchestral either - it's almost offensive and instantly forgettable.Im trying to remember it now and I cant - its THAT bland - and God knows I must have heard it a thousand times by now.Im sure its just a remix of the one from SO2.Oh well,(most of) the rest of the music more than makes up for it.

Im frightened to think how big my save file is eventually going to be with this game.My 'Symphonia file stands at over 200 hours and Im enjoying this even more.Story's a lot better for one thing.So far at least.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2004, 05:20.

Comment

I had this arrive on Saturday and I'm only an hour in so far, mainly because of OutRun2, but I already know that I'm going to end up liking this...

Comment

I'm about 12 hours in now and just got access to the invention system, which seems interesting. The battle system is my favourite thing about it so far and trying to get all the battle trophies is fun. Also trying to get 100% completion on all the maps increases your characters speed in battle. A word of warning do not read the dictionary as it contains spoilers, for some reason information is put in the dictionary before it revealed in the story so be careful.

Comment

Has anyone who's playing noticed any 'bugs' yet?

(I gave up on the original JP ver. after a few hours - well,I had no choice since it became unplayable...more 'bugs' than game.)

You must have noticed that sometimes your allies will just stand around in battle doing nothing?Especially Cliff Fittir (who thinks these names up?).I thought it was a bug at first but now Im thinking it may have something to do with the balance of points invested in your status skills (y'know - HP etc) I havent figured it out yet.If anyone has any thoughts let me know.A temporary remedy is to take manual control of the idle character and/or change the AI setting for them.But its not a real solution.

Im convinced this isnt a bug(it better not be...nah,I dont think so) but I cant figure it out - you'd think they'd give a clue or something!My names not Doris Stokes and Im not psychic thankyou Squenix.

Also - is it me or do the AI settings change all by themselves?That may be why they start acting strangely but WHY do they change.

I dont usually get the guides until Ive finished the game (yes I know it seems illogical but its how I am) but I just went and ordered the BradyGuide in the hope it'l give me some info on this.The guides HUGE apparently so there must be something of use in there.

Yes I know I could go and plead for assistance on 'Gamefaqs' where some snotty nose genius will have it all worked out Im sure but I just cant bring myself to ask and be at the mercy of the hordes of teenage Star Ocean fanatics.

Anyway,aside from that the only actual 'problem' Ive found is that it has trouble loading new areas often (more often the more I play it seems) - it'l take an inordinate (though not THAT long but longer than it should) amount of time and especially last night I waited once for around twenty seconds - I could hear the disc whirring and grinding away and fully expected to get a DRE but no...it eventually came right thank goodness - but you never know.My advice is to save as often as is feasible just in case to anyone who cares.

There are actually a couple of other bugs that are beginning to be reported but nothing too nasty.Certainly nothing 'game-breaking' so thats ok.

I know the music plays so loudly over the cutscenes that the speech is usually very difficult or even,occasionally,impossible (the music volume can rise and dip quite sharply at times - unnaturally so I mean) to hear but since there are subtitles thats not a problem.It suits me fine - although the VA is mostly fine the music is better!And it just makes me pay more attention to whats being said.

Anyway - why isnt there more activity in this thread?I cant imagine anyone who loves a good ole fashioned console RPG couldnt fall in love with this game.Especially if,like me you enjoyed TO-Symphonia recently.I thought after TOS Id give RPG's a break but Im so glad I got this now.This is a seriously bloody good game - go buy it!

The minor technical problems Ive mentioned (and other equally minor bugs Ive heard reported) shouldnt put anyone off playing this - they really ARE minor and havent detracted from my enjoyment at all.Although having spent so much extra time in development you'd think they'd have been ironed out completely but there ya go - its an imperfect world.....
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2004, 21:36.

Comment

I'm about 3 hours in. Quite like the presentation and overall style of the game it's very atmospheric. Some volume controls would have been nice to raise the voices a bit, although when most of the female characters speak I end up feeling like i wanna smack them, so damn annoying. That girl Prippita or something I forget but she aint getting any relationship points from me, it's all her fault my perants are dead I tell you

Not to sure I like the character movement much either, when the guy needs to take a small step to turn and face an NPC I often have to take a few attemps to line myself up with them so I can talk. Holding the walk button so often shouldn't be necassary IMO.

I'll comment on the battle system when I know more about it, still got a few things to learn but it looks promising

Comment

^^
                      Your right it can be annoying trying to align Fayt up to other NPC's/chests etc - Im slowly getting more used to it but it still takes a few tries sometimes.I think its one aspect that will remain a minor annoyance throughout the game.Still - it is minor really.Its just that you need to do it so often (especially if your like me and feel compelled to talk to every damn NPC in sight - not that you need to,just a ...well,compulsion of mine)

When I first took control and watched Fayt move I had a horrible flashback to Yunas,erm.....unusual way of running in FFX-2 but thank the RPG gods its not that annoying.

I suppose its just minor gripes like this that prevent me from being quite as enthusiastic about certain games than I otherwise would be because,like the battle theme,the voice of a particular character (although I have no complaint in that regard so far - perhaps simply because ive played so many of these games,Im just used to it maybe.I think the VA in this game is actually really good though overall - I find Cliff over the top though),the way a character moves etc are things that you have to endure for the entire length of the game - and frequently.

Still,they are just niggles really - I just need to use a little patience.
                      Its still a very enjoyable and engrossing experience for me niggles or no.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2004, 05:25.

Comment

Got this game on monday from VG+

Im upto the medievil village with Nel and to be honest the game is really boring (I nearly fell asleep at the start !!) and has failed to grab my attention so far.

I have found the battle system to clunky & anoying, and the story really is a load of ****e so far. Im finding it very hard to play for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. Does the battle system & story get any better ?
                        The graphics are okay but I would of prefered a "zoom-in" camera while exploring towns etc.
                        Guess that will teach me for listening to SO fanboys.

Ill give it a few more hours, but if it remains this sloppy, then ill sell it.

Very dissapointing

Comment

Well normally I don't like to judge an RPGs plot until I finish it but I?m 20 hours in and the story has defiantly picked up in the last 5 hours. The story is a little slow after the intro I admit but then most RPGs tend to be like that. The battle system does take a little practise but I enjoy the battles now, you also get the invention system later. I will confess that I am a RPG fanboy and always play them through to the end no matter what so it depends on how much you like RPGs.

Comment

About 6 hours in now, getting used to things. Had an attempt at keeping the bonus combat chain going for aslong as pos, got to about 24 battles when it broke the bonus metre, not sure how it brakes though :/ But it was cool, I had mods which made the money drop after fights more, tripple EXP, more hp healing after fights and increased item drop rate. I like this, cause it makes things more interesting when your fighting to keep the chain going than just normal fights, normal exp.

The map system is interesting, the number in the bottom right of the map is how much percent you have explored of that area and by unlocking the whole 100% you get a reward, I got some crystal rabbit thing 1/300. reminds me of the 1/35 soldiers in FF7.

I tried to complete 100% of the ruins area where Lord Nortons castle is but could only achieve 82%, I could see some treasure chests inside his castle but the front door wouldn't let me in and I couldn't figure a way from the inside. Anyone know how to get there?

Comment

You cannot get 100% completion on some of they early dungeons until you get an item which remove obstacles later in the game. I'm on disc two now and the story has got really good the plot twist you get is interesting I like it but some people may not. I also unlocked some new battle costumes when I got 45 battle trophies, which are good there are more to unlock later.

Comment

Working...
                              X