Star Wars Lego (demo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars Lego (demo)

This was probably the only decent game at Gamestars that doesn't have a lot of info about it already on the 'net.

Star Wars Lego is a two player, third person adventure where you can select various characters from the Star Wars universe to help you through the game. The action is very straight forward, where you can just hammer the attack button to pull off a combo (or shoot). If you are a Jedi you can also pick up parts of the level, which is pretty cool but it doesn't work anywhere near as well as in Psi Ops.

The graphics aren't technically the greatest ever, but they are certainly extremely effective. Everything looks like Lego, and everything is so damned cute! Your characters can have limbs blown off, and the sight of my C3PO hopping along on one leg had to be the highlight of the demo. Strangely, by using the triggers (Xbox ver) you can cycle through all the available characters. Not sure if this was just a demo thing or something planned for the final release, but it worked surprisingly well. Only a few characters were of any use (JarJar Binks couldn't actually do anything, even attack), but it was fun walking around as a Jedi (also enjoyable to attack each other as Jedi)

The demo wasn't particularly long or difficult, but it was good fun. There were only a few rooms to go through and not an awful lot of enemies, but it showed off what to expect.

I guess that if you removed the Star Wars or Lego licence, this would be a sub-par game, but as it stands this all works surprisingly well. Easy to play, easy to love, but difficult to walk away from.

Class

Edit: just read post again and found the answers to my questions, doh.

Comment

Thought I'd jump in and share the Lego Star Wars love. This was by far the biggest, most pleasant surprise of Gamestars. The game is a fantastic melding of two good licences that together become greater than the sum of their parts.

I particularaly liked the effect of using the force on objects and seeing the lego bricks seperate from the rest and rebuild themselves as something else. The animation in the cutscenes is also appropriatly cute. They should follow this up with an original trilogy version, A fully destructable Lego Death Star would be amazing.

Comment

Read the preview in Edge and this looked wicked - wonder if the XB version will have Live! support.....anyway was this demo only at the show or is it availible ala Ourun 2 ?

Comment

Haven't read the EDGE piece, but I was told it's not being released until next year because it's got loads of spoilers in it for the last film. Cool.

Comment

The edge piece was a nice surprise really. Would be fun to see the spoilers for the new film tho first as Lego. A little fried Anakin as a Lego piece - wicked man ! Doubt any of the spoilers are worse than stuff you can find looking at google for 5 mins tho'.

Comment

The Edge preview did make it look pretty good - there's something appealing about the idea of a game which ought to be crap turning out rather compelling. Fingers crossed, I guess.

Originally posted by PeteJ
              Strangely, by using the triggers (Xbox ver) you can cycle through all the available characters. Not sure if this was just a demo thing or something planned for the final release, but it worked surprisingly well. Only a few characters were of any use (JarJar Binks couldn't actually do anything, even attack), but it was fun walking around as a Jedi (also enjoyable to attack each other as Jedi)
              IIRC that is the general idea - you start off with a few characters, play various levels to unlock more, go back to cleared levels and play them as new characters in order to discover hidden stuff. Certain characters having abilities that can get them to previously inaccessible secret areas and so on.

Perhaps Jar Jar really can't do anything, though. Somehow I find that quite amusing. Wander around as him and get him killed horribly (even if it is only Lego). People will buy it in droves.

Comment

lmao
                I will
                Seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Eight Rooks
                  The Edge preview did make it look pretty good - there's something appealing about the idea of a game which ought to be crap turning out rather compelling. Fingers crossed, I guess.

IIRC that is the general idea - you start off with a few characters, play various levels to unlock more, go back to cleared levels and play them as new characters in order to discover hidden stuff. Certain characters having abilities that can get them to previously inaccessible secret areas and so on.

Perhaps Jar Jar really can't do anything, though. Somehow I find that quite amusing. Wander around as him and get him killed horribly (even if it is only Lego). People will buy it in droves.
                  *ressurection*

I played the PC demo last night and thought it was superb.

Jar Jar definately can dp things others can't. He jumps higher than anyone else and you need to use him a lot to get all the capsule things.

I've got my copy on order from send it for ?18 XBOX.

Comment

The PC demo is available for download, sounds very like PeeJ's comments, very good but short. Thanks for the tip superstarbeejay, I've pre-ordered it from sendit.com.

Comment

Just played through the PC demo, this seems absolutely amazing! The one niggle I have with the demo is that keyboard controls don't handle it all that well, but obviously the console versions will be played with analogue sticks. This could be one of the surprise smashes of the year...

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Smith
                        Just played through the PC demo, this seems absolutely amazing! The one niggle I have with the demo is that keyboard controls don't handle it all that well, but obviously the console versions will be played with analogue sticks. This could be one of the surprise smashes of the year...
                        No, the keyboard controls aren't the best. I've decided to go for the XBOX version as the xbox pad works great.

Played through the demo again in 2 player mode and I'm gaging for more. The 2 player works allright but there are issues with the camera in certain places. It feels almost like playing the chaos engine again in 2 player mode where you really have to work together.

It's out in about 3/4 weeks isn't it? Can't wait to play as chewie

Comment

Crikey, you all seem to be playing a completely different game to the one I just completed...

Comment

You didn't like it?

Comment

Originally posted by gossi the dog
                              You didn't like it?
                              I didn't mind it, there's certainly a lot of charm to it

Comment

Working...
                              X