Official new albums thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official new albums thread

Just thought I'd be presumptuous and start a thread so people can talk about recent purchases.

OK. Two from me to kick things off.

Bjork : Medulla - A very um... 'interesting' album that experiments with the "world's oldest instrument". I'm a huge fan of Bjork and especially enjoyed her last two albums. I've given this one a few listens now and whist I appreciate what she's trying to do, I can't say she's pulled it off too well. Stripping this album of its filler barely leaves you with an EPs worth of songs. The clever use of choir arrangements, beatboxing (courtesy of Rahzel) and other instrumental 'sounds' produced by the human voice (including that of ex-Faith No More's Mike Patton), is all very well, but oftentimes, the results sound silly to these ears, what with all the whining, wheezing, spitting and spurting on display. A commendable effort, but sadly not a very listenable one. 5/10

Junior Boys : Last Exit - A nice album of what I would called R'n'B-informed Synth Pop (if that makes any sense). Junior Boys are basically what a modern day synth pop band would sound like under the production of Timbaland. However, the vocalist has a very weak voice with an incredibly limited range and the lyrics are appalling (verging on the unintentionally nonsensical). Also, the sleepy pace and saminess of many of the songs does the album no favours. As such, it ends up sounding like one long song for the most part. Still listenable all the same, though. An above average effort from a group I think would be better off producing for other people . 6/10

Hey, great - saves me starting a new thread!
    Bought, on the way home from work, THE GO! TEAM - THUNDER, LIGHTNING, STRIKE - new out today. Heard a few tracks of it before, released on EP but DARNNIT waiting for a mate to log on so I can simulcast it. THE GO! TEAM are new and a bit like The Avalanches. Dying to hear it. The ?20 of gift vouchers I had to spend at HMV - worst hour of my life trying to spend the other ?8 in there - they should just mark everything down half price. I spent so long in there security pounced "as if from nowhere" when I fumbled in my bag for the gift vouchers. Get down. Anyway, I got a remastered Charlie Mingus album as well, which is on at the moment. Come on!!

Comment

Teh goldie looking chains greatest hits was released this week for anybody that cares..
      It's basically all the best stuff that was floating around on the internet all stuck onto one disc..guns dont kill people aint on it though

I love it, you knows it

Comment

Got the Goldie Lookin Chain album yesterday - Guns Dont Kill People is on it....

Comment

is it ?.. meh i didnt really look.. soz about that .

Comment

I'm so annoyed I missed GLC at Reading, finally heard them for the first time on CD:UK (I don't watch it, just flicking through the channels) last week and they were so funny.

Anyway my current fave albums that I'm listening to are Auf der Maur - Auf der Maur, and some album by PowderFinger that I've forgotten the name of already (I'm terrible with song/album names and lyrics). Neither of them are that new I think but theres little current music that I like at the moment. I've just discovered Virgin Classic Rock on internet radio and I doubt I will listen to much else from now on.

Comment

CD:UK >TOTP

Ash chick Charlotte Hatherley's album was great until I listened it to it's grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                CD:UK >TOTP
                That may well be the case but given how poor TOTP is, I don't think thats really saying anything

Comment

The Shins - Chutes too Narrow

One of the best bands around at the moment.
                  This along with their previous album are constantly on my winamp list or in my cd player, i cannot recommend these guys enough.
                  Not only is this a fantastic album but their songs are beautiful live.
                  YOU GO BUY NOW!
                  9/10 (nothing can be perfect)

Comment

U.N.K.L.E - Never Never Land

Just listening thru now. I caught the Eye for an Eye vid a while back in Trafford Topshop and disturbed thoroughly.

Impressions are good!

Comment

Bobontheway - The Shins are excellent. Good choice

I've been listening to an "advance copy" (ahem) of Interpol's new album, Antics. It's missing a bit of the seductive darkness from their debut, but it is definitely growing on me.

I've also been listening to Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun. A great bit post-rock soundscape. It's hard to describe it. It has a lot of warmth... I'd recommend checking it out.

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat is not the easiest album to listen to, as it jumps around like a headless... something, but the wide range of melodies and sounds makes for an interesting listen. It's quite an achievement, actually.

Apart from that, it's mostly been the good old Broken Social Scene, The Microphones, and Radiohead (Kid A, mostly) keeping my ears entertained.

Comment

I've just picked up the Mylo album (Destroy Rock And Roll) which is great; fairly Royksoppy but there's a Daft Punk thing going on in there two.

Also, I think the review above of the Juniorboys album is pretty wide of the mark; it's been one of my favourite records of the year. There's almost no RNB influence in it whatsoever; I can see where the Timbaland angle is coming from, given the glitchy drum programming, but it's more tech-y than any current RNB. It's nice, deep, electronic songwriting; I find the singer's voice very effective for the genre they're working in. I too would love to hear them doing production for other groups, but I'm very much enjoying their oeuvre as it stands. _High Come Down_ is just stonking, really; doubly so on a decent set of speakers...

Comment

It's all about opinons, mate.

Comment

For you rap addicts out there i'd have to recommend you guys to listen to

The Alchemist-1st Infantry... This album has got some tight production and lyrics. One for all rap fans and music fans in general, and has some really good guest appearances on it especially the infamous "game" whos gonna blow up this year you heard it first.
                            7.5/10

LL Cool J - The Definition... I'm well surprised about this album i wanted to write it off before i even heard it but.... Hes got a new found attitude which he carries off on this album and i have to say its a good all round affair from someone whos first album was released the year i was born and that was 19 years ago.
                            6.5/10

Comment

currently listening to Kasabian - very stone roses/happy mondays/primal scream-ish....in other words, funky beyond belief and very enjoyable on the ol' ear drums

also ....

Ian Brown - Solarized .... mish-mash of styles but damn fine for it

Comment

Working...
                              X