xbox via gamespy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xbox via gamespy

Any one got this set up and want play halo?Just got broadband havent got live yet

Originally posted by Takeshi
    Any one got this set up and want play halo?Just got broadband havent got live yet
    Im playing right now !

look me up:

[TB]Kamaran

Comment

Anyone else ??

Comment

I tried it, but I just couldn't get the PC to see the XBox, even though I'm sure I followed the instructions correctly.

Comment

Guys

I think I have all i need to run this.

I am a subscriber to Gamespy Arcade, I have xbox (pal) hooked to Live via a NIC on my PC. I think I just need to download the tunnel software.

My question is.... is it worth it??

Is it laggy?? how many players can play at once. Is it always deathmatch or can you do CO-OP, also I presume that you cant use the XBOX Live headset to communicate?.
          I like Halo, I aint no master, but I would like to have a crack at this.

What do you think, worth giving it a go???

Trok

Comment

Muppet Pie (sorry I liked your old name better). The answer to many of your questions depends alot on your internet connection/the speed of the hosts connection.

I am guessing you have ADSL as you use a ICS and in that case you have 256k upload which is usually enough for a good game.

My advice to you is don't use gamespy - use Xboxconnect which can be downloaded free from www.xbconnect.com its has no adverts, less lag, more players and lets you find PAL only games (as Halo NTSC VS PAL dont work).

I have a 1Mb connection and find the fewer xbox's the more players I can host. Its a maximum of 4 xbox's and 4 players per machine so thats a total of 16 players.

I have found the following as a rough guide if you have

4* xbox's ---> 1 player per xbox max ---> 4 players total
            3* xbox's ---->4 players per xbox max --> 12 players total
            2* xbox's ----->4 players per xbox max --> 8 players total

Only join games where you have a ping of less than 100, otherwise the game will lag or just lock up Also (may seem obvious) make sure you close all other internet applications (Browser, Messenger, Kazaa etc) when playing or you will get lag.

You can play in teams or by yourself. There are normal games, capture the flag and loads of variations - its absolutely fantastic.

What you have to remember is this is a non-supported service ie someone has setup xbconnect or gamespy to create a network via the internet as you would do with loads of users sitting in the same room with xbox's connected over a hub.
            So some games expect a 10Mb connection between xbox's but can only go as fast as your internet connection. The code in the games is not optimised but as long as you know what the limits are with players etc you can have some great lag-free games.

If you want to play PM me here and ill talk you through it and we can play some team games togethor I love Xbox live but for me nothing comes close to Halo online via Xbconnect

Comment

Kamaran

Firstly, thanks very much for the info, much appreciated.

Yeah, I liked Muppet Pie, kinda miss it now but when I signed up for Live I did not want to be called a Muppet ALL the time. A mans ego can only take so much before major cracks start appearing

Back to the subject though. I am at work at the mo but may well try and set this up tonight. I will follow your advice and use xbconnect.com. I do indeed have ADSL, you know the bog standard BT chappy, but it seems to hang together ok. As for tonight, it will only be myself using the Xbox, but I have a twin brother who likes to get involved but I think he is busy tonight. So I guess that means I would be restricting the amount of players in-game.
              Also, as I said I ain't no Master at it, but do really enjoy Halo as a game and just want to further the experience a bit. My PC is not near my TV so I will not be able to type commands whilst playing, not sure if this is possible anyway.

As I said I will try and set it up when I get home, if you are on then hopefully I will catch up with you. If I get to log on I will keep the Trok REAPER name tag, I presume you will be Kamaran.

Thanks again for your help.

Trok the Muppet

Comment

Well sure I an play tonight after 8pm

catch me on msn messenger: [email protected] is probably easiest and I can talk you through connecting etc..

We can play us 2 Vs 2 others in a team game

My xbconnect tag is [TB]Kamaran so if you add me to your friends I will glow when online and you can PM me!

Look forward to it - drop me an email on the above address if you cant make it

Comment

Kamaran

PM sent

Trok

Comment

Replied

Comment

on gamespy iam monkeyboy

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshi
                        on gamespy iam monkeyboy
                        I added you to my list - lets have a gAme sometime - add me too

[TB]Kamaran

Comment

Hi guys

I've just got this set up as well - How do you add names so i can see when your online? Mines - TommyG6

Cheers

Tommy

Comment

Its the frame on the right - click the Friends +/- button and then add friends from there

I'll add you to mine mate

Anyone fancy playing tonight ?

Comment

Thanks Kam

Yeah i'll be up for a game!

Comment

Working...
                              X