A few import questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few import questions

The ?80 Argos deal has prompted me to think about getting a PAL Gamecube, but I still want to play American games.

How likely is it that Freeloader will be compatable with future games?

My television will support 3.58/4.43 VCR players so it should support NTSC games, right?

Is the price of a US Gamecube likely to drop in the near future?

If I decide to purchase a US Gamecube, where's the best place to buy (goblin-direct's prices didn't seem to change after the bundle deal in the US)?

Is a modded system a good idea (are Nintendo likely to do anything to discourage chipping, as Microsoft did)?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered.

Not very likely I'm afraid. Nintendo are apparently introducing a new protection scheme for all titles starting with Zelda.

My television will support 3.58/4.43 VCR players so it should support NTSC games, right?
    Right. But make sure that the VCR is outputting actual NTSC - all the VCRs I have seen that play NTSC tapes show them in PAL60, which is different.

If the VCR is described to have a feature such as "NTSC playback on PAL TV", it is outputting in PAL60. If you can't tell the difference between PAL60 and NTSC by looking, check if a Hue/Tint option appears in your TV's picture menu when you're playing NTSC tapes. Also check for things like, smearing colors, especially on reds, or areas of very bright red that look more like pink.

Make sure it has RCA inputs (yellow, red and white circular jacks) because this is what the American GameCubes are shipped with. Of course the quality on these is not very good so you'll want to be asking Saurian on this forum to sort you out with an RGB cable (worth the price).

If I decide to purchase a US Gamecube, where's the best place to buy (goblin-direct's prices didn't seem to change after the bundle deal in the US)?
    I got mine from Goblin Direct and was very pleased - I'm not sure where else, but I think that's the cheapest you'll find in the UK.

Is a modded system a good idea (are Nintendo likely to do anything to discourage chipping, as Microsoft did)?
    I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think there is any type of GameCube mod chip. The only region modification you can do is to an American or Japanese console, to allow switching between US/JPN modes. There is nothing you can do to mod a PAL console.

Hope this helps!

Comment

go with a us gamecube as the freeloader won't last for long.

the modded gamecubes aren't modchipped as such, its just a switch that you can change between us or japan regions

Comment

I bought used gamecube from ebay, with shipping and Taxes, it cost me 140?.

Comment

If you buy a US GC, you should buy it from www.risingsundigitalmedia.com They will beat Goblin prices and are very reliable.

Comment

There is no point in buying a UK Cube if you want to play imports - I'm getting US Cubes now for ?60, packing them back up with a modded RGB lead and re-selling them at a profit.

If I can do this - anyone can find a decent deal.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
              If you buy a US GC, you should buy it from www.risingsundigitalmedia.com They will beat Goblin prices and are very reliable.
              I can also vouch for this site... very reliable.

Comment

I have decided to get a US Gamecube.

Thanks very much for all the help.

Comment

No problem, and I'm sure I and many others here agree that's definitely the right choice

Comment

Definately

I don't regret the day I bought my Jap cube and got it modded

--Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                      There is no point in buying a UK Cube if you want to play imports - I'm getting US Cubes now for ?60, packing them back up with a modded RGB lead and re-selling them at a profit.

where do you get them from for that price?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris
                        Not very likely I'm afraid. Nintendo are apparently introducing a new protection scheme for all titles starting with Zelda.
                        Wow, I knew nothing of this. Ah, darn... It looks like My Panasonic Q may have to ship early. I'm probably going to Pmelon's site... Sorry, I mean rsdm.co.uk

I may go thorugh Lik-Sang though, they are about ?60 cheaper... Although customs may be a problem! Can anyone tell me about Lik-Sang?

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian

You possibly getting a Pansonic Q, modding it to play anywhere and any DVD and selling it for appx ?300?

Comment

try play-asia for a panny Q

248 quid

Online shopping for Import Video Games, Digital Codes, iTunes Cards, Mobage & PSN Cards, Movies, Music, Electronics, Computers, Software, Books, Apparel, Personal Care, Toys & more.

Comment

Originally posted by f3
                              I have decided to get a US Gamecube.

Thanks very much for all the help.
                              So where are you getting it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Working...
                              X