Childhood TV - joy, wonder and awe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Childhood TV - joy, wonder and awe.

I?m just off to walk into town (lost my buggering bus pass! sigh)

But I thought I would quickly ask a question which I?ve been wondering recently?

I?ve been steadily building up my dvd collection (it?s looking pretty darn impressive now) but my most recent purchases are some oldish favourites. Films which I hold very dearly to my heart which never fail to evoke a sense joy, wonder and awe. They remind me of so many wonderful memories of my younger years its like I?m placed in a time machine every time I watch them?

Willow, The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth

Awwww? I love em.

Each of the above are very special to me? but Dark Crystal in particular. A film crafted by some of the most imaginative and inspirational puppets, a fine attention to detail. And of course some truly surreal, colourful environments and characters.

It wowed me when I was a child in a very na?ve way (just felt like watching a dream then? I didn?t really understand it, but that?s one of the advantages of being a child, you don?t have to understand things to admire them) now it doesn?t wow me in quite the same way, but I still appreciate it for its beauty and creativity? and I?m still strongly attached to those memories and feelings which were evoked when I first watched it.

Other films which are similar to the above 3 (but sadly i have yet to buy them on DVD) are The Time Bandits, Never Ending Story and Legend

So? yeh. What about your guys? Any childhood films out there which never fail to bring a smile to your face?

Kindest regards
    Adz
    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

I remember Legend that was ace!! I also remember The Princess Bride with Andre The Giant in it, i'm sure that was out around the same time or a bit after!!

I also remember me watching a film with me dad but i have no idea what it's called, maybe someone here will know, it was a stop capture clay animation and i'm sure it had bits about adam and eve in it and i'm sure it involves a Ship (as in boat) that could fly! Any ideas??

Comment

How could we talk about these films on _this_ forum without mentioning The Last Starfighter

Comment

Im probably going to relive one of my childhood memories today as I plan on watching Stephen Kings film adaptation of three short stories in Cats Eye. The one that got me, was the final story, about a bedroom troll who appears each night and steals a little girls (a very young Drew Barrymore) breath as she sleeps. The troll itself used to scare the crap out of me, it looked exactly how I would expect a 'troll' to look like and it was everything I had beleived as a kid that a bedroom monster would look and act like. The showdown with the cat (called General, that also links the three stories together) was great, I found myself rooting for the cat bigtime when I was a youngun. Recently I picked this up on DVD, I doubt it will have the same effect now, but the memories will come flooding back.
        Attached Files

Comment

Gremlins. Best film series ever >_<

I was such a bad Ah-nuld fan as a kid. I had all his films on VHS and watched them so often. However, they're all **** now

Probably the film that I loved most as a kid, and still love to this day, is The Lion King. ^_^

Comment

I would definitely have to pick up Willow, Labyrinth, Gremlins and the Goonies when I get around to buying some more DVDs. They were some of my most favourtie movies when I was growing up. Ahhhh...the memories

Comment

Labyrinth and Time Bandits, in particular, are still utterly great.

Comment

BFG all the way and i dunno what its called but some movie with a devil looking thing and i think maybe tom cruise was in it too.

Comment

Marcus...Is Cats Eye the same one where the girl has her mouth removed?

Jesus, that used to freak me out no end.

Comment

No one has mentioned Star Wars yet, but I think it merits a thumbs up. I have very happy memories of watching the trilogy as a child and I think that if the same films had come out today, I wouldn't like them nearly as much. That's in no way a negative comment about the films, it's just that as a kid, they were totally mind-blowing. I'm sure that's the way kids today see the new SW films. Well I hope they do anyway, cos I think they suck a big dog's rancid cock.

Tron - Recently got this on DVD, still impresses me even today. I wish they'd hurry up and make the follow up.

Drop Dead Fred - Rik Mayall's first (and only) Hollywood film, tanked on release but has gained a cult following since on both sides of the pond. Still makes me wet myself when I watch it now.

The Wizard - I'm sure some people remember this film - it featured the NES console quite a bit, as well as the Power Glove and many, many NES games. But it's actually quite a good movie, Fred Savage is in it before he went all crap and turned into an ugly adult. Christian Slater is also in it before he was really famous, he's actually pretty good as well and not quite as annoying as he's been in recent films. And Beau Bridges! He's great. You even get to see him playing Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles, and getting hopelessly addicted to it, too.

Comment

The usual... Labyrinth, Gremlins etc...

And of course, my ten year old self thought Jenniffer Connelly was the most beautiful girl in the world...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj
                        BFG all the way and i dunno what its called but some movie with a devil looking thing and i think maybe tom cruise was in it too.
                        That's Legend mate.

All the below films remind me of the goodness that was my childhood.

The Goonies
                        Labyrinth
                        The Dark Crystal
                        Return to Oz (shut it, you arses. )
                        The Wizzard of Oz (again, shut it! )
                        Manequin
                        Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure
                        Wayne's World
                        Star Wars Trilogy
                        Zardoz (strangely, although it wasn't really as kids film)
                        Krull
                        Action Force - The Movie
                        Transformers - The Movie
                        Tron (thanks, Duddyroar)
                        The Wizzard of Speed and Time (stop animation with real actors )

Will think of more this afternoon, no doubt, so I might update this post.

Cheers for making me remember them, Adam!

[Edit]
                        Flight of the Navigator (cheers Ady. )
                        Indiana Jones Trilogy
                        Ghostbusters 1&2
                        Back To the Future Trilogy
                        Gremlins (2 was a bit ****, tbh)
                        The Explorers (anyone else remember this seminal classic? Speilberg film, I think)
                        E.T
                        Wargames
                        The Last Starfighter (cheers, superkully. )
                        The Karate Kid 1&2 (not sure if I class 3 as that good, tbh.. (cheers, Marcus. )
                        [/Edit]
                        Last edited by disco-tom; 12-01-2005, 15:37.

Comment

Wot no Flight of the Navigator?

I can't be the only one who wanted a spaceship like that of my own!

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                            The Wizard - I'm sure some people remember this film - it featured the NES console quite a bit, as well as the Power Glove and many, many NES games. But it's actually quite a good movie, Fred Savage is in it before he went all crap and turned into an ugly adult. Christian Slater is also in it before he was really famous, he's actually pretty good as well and not quite as annoying as he's been in recent films. And Beau Bridges! He's great. You even get to see him playing Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles, and getting hopelessly addicted to it, too.
                            Was that the movie with a wrestler in it?

Comment

I saw 'Stand by Me' the other day and although it's not really for very young children (contains a fair bit of swearing); I think I would of loved it if I saw it when I was younger.

Comment

Working...
                              X