Let's talk Snes games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk Snes games...

This weekend I've been reacquainting myself with an old friend - my Snes.

So far I've had sessions on Area 88, Super Marioworld & Castlevania 4 (never played C4 the first time around) - I know all of these can be emulated or whatever, but it's not as satisfying as hearing the cart click into place - there are so many good games that I have to now hunt down - so I'm looking for suggestions - I've got the main stuff covered, Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc - any more eclectic suggestions welcomed though (plus thoughts on the Snes as well)

Secret of Mana
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours
    Goemon
    Contra
    Mario Paint

etc.

Comment

Games to look out for on the SNES (imo)

Chrono Trigger (US) absolute classic on SNES excellent story multiple endings and a top soundtrack
      Final Fantasy 3 (US) the best FF IMO
      Castlvania 4
      Super Mario RPG kinda RPG lite but fun none the less
      Secret of mana-square do action rpg with 3 player support.

I know most of themn are square games and go for some silly prices on the BAY.

These hold a special memory for me, as i used to live in portsmouth and there was a shop in the Isle of wight that used to hire US and Jap SNES games that i used to travel to once a week in order to play these classics now bear in mind this was a ferry journey rather than a quick bus journey...Oh the l33tness..

The snes pad was miles ahead of it's time as was the sound chip and general design, the irony of sony owning the video games world in terms of sales must irk nintendo something chronic after all these years...
      Classic console (reborn as the GBA)

Comment

Ah the SNES, my first and greatest console love.

Well, my game's collection is very slowly growing at the moment as I am after games boxed and with instructions only ( I'm not usually this anal, but the thought of a whole shelf full of pristine SNES boxes makes me all of a quiver ), I only re-bought the console recently with 50/60HZ mod so insofar I have: Castlevania, Cybernator, and Mario All Stars.

Cybernator is great btw, pick that one up.

Ones I'm after:

U.N Squadron
        Contra
        Zombies ate my neighbours
        Spindizzy Worlds ( what can I say, I loved the C64 incarnation )
        Chrono Trigger ( for under 100, yeah right )
        Terranigma ( ditto )
        Final Fantasy 3
        Mario Kart
        Sunset Riders ( was great fun in the Arcade )
        Zelda: Link to the Past
        Bomberman 4 ( only released in Japan, I believe )
        Super Smash T.V ( I can't afford the arcade machine )
        Mega Man X
        Secret of Mana
        Starwing
        Alien 3
        Shadowrun

There are quite a few solid ones there I think, Shadowrun in particular being much acclaimed ( although graphically it has aged badly ), but don't take me to task if you pick up any of those and they're not your thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
          Terranigma ( ditto )
          A month or so ago a mate of mine was offered a mint copy of this for ?40 - I posted here to ask for him if that was good price, was told it was & he went for it - anyway, he decided he didn't like it, so he offered it to me - for ?40

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
          don't take me to task if you pick up any of those and they're not your thing.
          I'll come looking for you - "You said I'd love it!"....

Comment

?40 for Terrinigma - damn i only paid ?15 for my mint condition one

prefer to see this thread without people just making lists - provide some info with your choices peeps *hint hint*

now onto some obscure releases from my library for you to look up, the more well known titles other peeps can write about

Umiharakawase - Puzzle Platformer were you are armed with a hookshot (think Bionic Commando) which you use to move between platforms. very nice looking graphics and gameplay which draws you in, you start playing it and next thing you know you can hear birds tweeting outside.

Super Adventure Island 2 - Platformer with an action rpg flavour - based on the Wonderboy series this game is sheer brilliance. you pickup various weapons/spells to rescue your ex-bird, who is getting married to someone else. Anyone who enjoys an old school platformer/arpg should definitely look this one up

Macross Scrambled Valkyries - horizontal scrolling shmup which is the best released on the snes/super fami - never got a western release so expect to pay silly prices if you can source it (last one i checked out was ?150+). Its based on the Macross anime (DOH!!) and you can choose different characters who all have different attributes. you have 3 different craft you can transform between during the levels (similar to many other Macross games on other systems). gets quite difficult around level 3 (the caves) but a game every snes/super fami lover should experience at least once

S.O.S aka Septentrion - game based on The Poseiden Adventure (classic disaster movie from the 70's) - this game used Mode 7 to transform the ship into a living entity. Hard as nails to complete using every character due to a very strict time limit - you had to rescue other passengers and guide them to the top/bottom of the ship (you will understand what i mean if you watch the movie/play the game). Some sections were impassable until the ship rolled (rotated). sheer brilliance from Human

Actraiser - Platformer combined with God game which works perfectly - finish a new level and gain extra's for your city. If taking on the roles of action heros, powerful mages, and plumbers who consume large quantities of psychotropic vegetation wasn't enough to make you feel empowered, along comes a game that outright makes you a god (or The Master/Protector, thanks to the Nintendo Censor Squad). Actraiser has two seperate parts: City building/simulation mode, and action mode. The former involves visiting the different cities on your planet, listening to the needs of the people, and acting accordingly. This may involve getting rid of monsters flying around, using lightning to clear land for city development, or creating rain in the desert so that the people there can grow crops. The other half, action, is a good old-fashioned 2D platformer. You assume a physical form on the planet's surface and use your sword and some magic power to eliminate monsters and their bosses. Made by the kings of the rpg Enix this is one to definitely pickup - though the sequel Actraiser 2 did away with the God section of the game and lost all the 'flavour' that made this one so good

that will do for now - will add some more laters

camps

Comment

Originally posted by camps
              ?40 for Terrinigma - damn i only paid ?15 for my mint condition one
              Ah, blow it out your.....*stops there in the interests of forum diplomacy*

Comment

Super Aleste...

Still one of the best pure shoot em ups on the planet. The mode 7 space station level takes my breath away. Plus "break time" is always worth a go now and again.

I also love Nosferatu for an offbeat alternative to the undead fused with Prince of Persia.

I still can't believe all that stuff was ten years ago. Time flys...

Comment

A Couple of games I remember enjoying were:

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Too bizarre to explain but is great.

Cybernator - Kickass Mech game

Soul Blazer - An Enix (I think) action RPG in the style of Secret of Mana

Comment

The SNES has the best selection of games available for any machine available in my opinion. It's just a shame that many of the classics like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Ogre Battle and Secret of Mana 2 (well 3 in Japan) were never released in this country.
                    Some PAL games that I reccomend that I've got are:
                    Secret of Mana
                    Shadowrun
                    Pop and Twinbee
                    Rock and roll racing
                    Pilotwings
                    Super Aleste
                    Cybernator
                    Super Tennis
                    Zelda. Link to the past.

Saying that though, lots of these games are well exspensive on eBay. Hugely fantastic though.

Comment

metroid which incidently i seem to be selling.Also ff5 and 6 wouldn't go amiss and not forgetting chrono trigger.Fooking hell whenever i mention snes i allways feel sad and wish i could halt the indusrty progressing

Comment

The worst decision of my gaming life....to trade my beloved Snes plus a shedful of games for the original Playstation, i almost cried after playing the pixellated mess that was Magic Carpet. Anyhow i've been steadily rebuilding my collection.

Super Aleste as somebody mentioned earlier is superb, you forget how hard those old style shooters were, Axelay is another which is tremendous and beautiful to boot.

SF2Turbo must probably rank as a contender for greatest fighting game ever, still fresh after all this time.

Shadowrun, i missed this first time around but picked it up a few weeks ago, get past the shoddy graphics and there beats a heart of gold a real change to the standard RPG scenario.

Comment

"gameplay which draws you in, you start playing it and next thing you know you can hear birds tweeting outside"

HA HA, now thats a real gamer, I know that sound. Zelda also made me fail GCSE Maths...

Anyway, I've just joined this forum and was interested to see people talking about SNES stuff. Some people might know me (from ebay or wotnot) but basically I sell Japanese import stuff and recently I've been selling a lot of SNES stuff through contacts in Japan.

Oh, and the prices I charge are cheap(definately not ?150 for Macross anyway) so if you're wanting to buy anything throw me a mail. I recommend Umihara Kawase though(have one on ebay now at $10) and I have alot more and can also source stuff so just let me know.

Ok, advert over

Comment

I can vouch for markinjapan, he's the first person I ever did business with on eBay and has always come up with the goods promptly and as advertised.

I have very nearly completed my SFC collection, games with asterixes are the ones i'm missing.

Akumajo Dracula
                            Akumajo Dracula XX
                            Cosmo Gang The Video
                            F-Zero
                            Kikikaikai Nazo no Kuro Manto*
                            Rockman and Forte*
                            Sim City*
                            Super Bomberman 2
                            Super Mario Collection
                            Super Mario Kart
                            Super Mario World
                            Super Metroid
                            Yossy Island
                            Zelda no Densetsu 3

IMO the shooters on SFC have aged poorly, as have the scrolling fighters. The RPGs i'd rather play on US PSone.

Comment

Sim City - when Nintendo took this game and sprinkled their magic dust onto it they made one of the finest strategy-lite titles on any console upto now -- interface worked perfectly and the music works like a charm. building your city up and having a giant mario/bowser (can't remember which it was) destroy it is something which never ceases to amuse (i have mental images of Godzilla movies when it happens). sadly the sequel Sim City 2k didn't have the Nintendo touch and was a complete crock of crapness - map was unwieldy, interface was slowdown ridden -- graphics were a bit sharper but i prefered the cartoony look from the first one

Comment

Working...
                              X