Planetside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planetside

Is anyone here playing this at the moment? It's gone into a public beta, the client can be downloaded at Fileplanet (1.3 Gigs).

To try and put it simply, Planetside is like BF1942 crossed with Tribes 2 played out with thousands of players over a persistant world.

It's a Massively Multiplayer Online FPS, where you can choose one of 3 factions fighting a non-stop war on the planet Auraxis.

I can't get over how big this game is, some of the battles can get epic, with hundreds of people launching an attack on a enemy base, and dropships flying overhead and tanks hurtling by. The system picks up action hotspots on the map so people can see where the latest attacks are emerging (as they happen almost constantly).

I can't really do the game justice as it's too deep (it's nothing like an action game like Quake III) so I recommend taking a look at the website.
    It's a hefty download, and the game seems a bit slow at first, but once you join a squad things really start to pick up.

bah it sucks that nobody else here is playing at the mo, the beta ends on the 20th and from then on it's a monthly fee.

If anyone does decide to give it a go, just type /tell Edame (message here) in the chat console if you want to join a squad for a bit.

Comment

doh, double post

Comment

I applied for the Beta a long while ago, alas I didn't hear anything back. Their loss, I now subscribe to EVE.

Comment

Basically, it's MMO Tribes. But I found Tribes to be a lot better.

Waste of the 1.4Gig download. FilePlanet subscribers should definately download the Rise of Nations trial, though, as it's stunning (and normally I hate RTS games, but the empire building side satisfies me greatly).

I recommend just subscribing to FilePlanet for one month for that alone - only ?4.50 and you also get access to things like the Ragnarok Online Beta Client and an Asheron's Call 2 trial, etc etc. Well worth it.

--Ed

Comment

I've played it. And i think its excellent.

Comment

Do you think it's worth the proposed fee (about $13/?8 pm) Adrock? I'm still borderline on that, I think Penny-Arcade put it well when they said that it's a fantastic game, just not $13 a month fantastic. I'd consider it if they were going to make a lot of constant additions (I'm bored of the implants already, they need more). At the moment however, it seems a bit much for what is basically an FPS with lite RPG elements, especially when you can play scores of other FPS games online for free.

Still, I'm really enjoying the game. I was in a battle last night, my side was attempting to take an enemy tower that overlooked a large base. There were troops and tanks all over the hillside, slowly converging on the tower, which was putting up heavy resistance. There was just something about seeing so many people advancing, taking cover behind trees and tanks with weapons fire everywhere that gave it a sense of teamwork that even Tribes can't beat.

Comment

Im on Emerald , Terran affiliated , name : Weeble

Comment

I can't remember which server I'm on (East I think, but can't remember the name) but I'm New Confederate anyways, so we're mortal enemies I'm afraid!

Comment

I'm the wrong person to be asking about paying monthly fee's really. I've been playing Ultima Online for about 4 years on and off now so i pay fees all the time and will do for planetside. I think the biggest thing about this is community, once it gets into full stride there will be everquest esque packages coming out for it. My thing i want to do is make a solid base of mates out of it can join up with all the time and battle. If that happens this game will be a massive success

Comment

Indeed. I've got 24 members in my EVE corporation now, from UK, Europe and USA. The community makes the mmorpg.

Comment

I've been playing the beta since Friday, and I've loved what I've seen so far.

Trouble is, my PC has only 256mb RAM, and the athlon XP 1600 and GeForce 2 MX really don't make up for this. I get terrible slowdown in large battles, it makes it completely unplayable (ie: it takes me over a minute to actually get out of a damned respawning tube), and with so much slowdown, I die quite a lot.

Smaller battles (especially for towers) are fine though. I love trying to defend a base from a rampaging hoarde of NC MAXs. I die a hell of a lot, but it doesn't bother me, as it really is very enjoyable.

Comment

Stu, is eve any good? i was considering buying it a while back. It looks pretty promising though

Comment

EVE is outstanding.

However, the game should never have retailed this month. If people who have just forked out ?30 saw the state of the beta days (!) before it went live, they never would have bought it.

And now, we get this: last night (4am), whilst I was in the middle of flying home from 8 hours (literally) of tedious work to raise money, CCP decided to rollback the game 24hours to before they applied a patch, as people were exploiting a bug that made them billions.

Needless to say, I'm fuming.

I understand these games have bugs, I'm not naive. I just wish these people checked patches thoroughly before unleashing them.

Comment

Hehe, welcome to the world of online gaming dude. You played any other persistent games before? I've played quite a few and i'd say i've had a lot more than my fair share of let downs like rollbacks and general arsing with the game

Comment

Working...
                              X