Firefly / Serenity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefly / Serenity

Anyone catch this on the Sci-Fi Channel last Monday? Two-hour pilot of the new show by Joss Whedon that got canned earlier this year in the States? I watched it with some trepidation, seeing as it got canned and all, and certainly the first 40 minutes or so didn't impress me particularly, seemingly lacking all of the charm, wit and style that make Buffy and Angel so entertaining. But the end of part one and the whole of part two were absolutely brilliant, I thought, and I'm now really looking forward to watching what little remains of the series.

Anyone else seen this? JRM, you catch it when it was on in the US? Any thoughts?

Grim, I was a pretty vocal supporter of the show, and mentioned it in IRC a few times as a great show. I loved it. And, it was with a great amount of sadness that I lost it. ****ing network pinheads. Finally, a show with some originality and spunk, and they ****can it. Pathetic. Lckily, I've been able to download all of the aired episodes, and in a bit the show will be on DVD, including episodes that were filmed but didn't make it to the air. I can't wait.

Perhaps if enough people buy it, the networks might take another look at it. THere's always hope...

Comment

I was reading some of the history of what happened to this over on Buffycritic.com (good site for fans, btw) and it seems like a nightmare from the word go. The episode I've seen, Serenity, was the last one broadcast for you, right JRM? It's a touched up version of a pilot that FOX rejected, replaced by the US pilot, The Train Job, which all by accounts was OK but not the kind of episode that was going to pull in the fans.

Now, one can only assume that Joss made MAJOR changes to Serenity because as I mentined, the finished product was brilliant. The way Buffycritic tells it, for whatever reason the first few episodes were the weakest but it really came into its own towards the end of its limited run, by which point it was too late for ratings to pick up.

Either way, it does seem a bloody great shame, and a startling lack of faith and loyalty from FOX, who had bloody well better pick Angel up for a fifth season!

Comment

Today I picked up the series set for this show and watched the 2 episode pilot, and goddam if I'm not impressed all over again. Good lord, how this show can get cancelled while so much other dreck pollutes my airwaves is a mystery to me. From word one it was great, the cast had fantastic chemistry, the dialogue was patently Joss Whedon snappy, and it has a feel to it that most shows don't hit until their third or fourth season, if ever. Just superb. I highly recommend those looking for cool sci-fi to pick it up and show their support. And here's to Joss and the hopeful Firefly movie. My fingers are crossed.

Comment

Apparently the Firefly movie is a definite go and in full-swing as we speak.

And yes, the real two-hour pilot, Serenity, was stunning. However, as I mentioned above, some odd stuff went down that episode, whereby the one on the DVD, the one shown here on Sci-Fi, is not the same episode Joss originally submitted, but rather a version peppered with reshoots done throughout the series.

Either way, it does seem that the decision to open with The Train Job and start monkeying around with the series order killed the show before it even began.

Comment

Are we the only ones smart enough to enjoy this show?

Comment

Nope, I watched a few eps at the w/e and enjoyed them. I think I came it half way through the screen though, so I wasn't familiar with the characters or how they came about. I watched the ep where the captain gets himself into a duel with swords.

I shall be looking to watch some more of these.

Regards
              Marty

Comment

I got the R1 DVD a few weeks ago (about a week before official release) and I really liked it.

It's an excellent show and should never have been cancelled No more to add on that subject IMO ft:

It was very clever, original, and everyone did a great job. It was almost too funny at times IMO, but it never crossed that line to becoming farcical.

Top show...shame we'll never see how it was supposed to end I hope the movie is good, but 2 hours isn't very long to adapt a TV show into a film IMO

Comment

Here is the latest news on the Firefly movie from Cinescape.com

Movie News
                  FIREFLY turns green, morphs into SERENITY
                  You can't keep the Serenity on the ground

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Dateline: Wednesday, March 3, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
                  By: News Editor
                  Source: Variety

It's like what happened to BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, except in reverse: Variety reports that Universal Pictures has given the greenlight to the big screen FIREFLY movie, now officially titled SERENITY. The film's budget is being reported at around "mid-eight figures", so let's call it more or less $50 million dollars.

Series creator Joss Whedon will direct the movie from his script, set approximately six months after the events seen in the last FIREFLY episode. Filming is now set to commence in June for an anticipated June 2005 release. Deals have already been ironed out for the majority of FIREFLY's cast to reprise their roles in the movie, including Nathan Fillion (Malcolm Reynolds), Gina Torres (Zoe), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Sean Mahar (Simon) and Summer Glau (River). Not mentioned in Variety's article were cast members Alan Tudyk (Wash) or Ron Glass (Book).

Comment

Adam Baldwin (Jayne)
                    A transvetite Baldwin! There're so many of them it had to happen sooner or later.

Comment

That would work if Jayne wasn't a boys name too.

Comment

R2 release of the series is coming soon It was advertised in the Angel series 4 boxset

afaik it's identical to the R1 set

Comment

Could see how you could do the film without Ron Glass as Book, but explaining away the absence of Wash whilst fitting in with the continuity of the series could be...tricky!

Comment

Well, it does take place six months after the last episode, so there's room there for "Oh, yeah, he died, but we're healing and moving on from it." Odd, but workable.

Comment

Wooo man, I took some games back and exchanged for the Alien Quadrilogy, and I though stuff it I'm going to get Firefly, it's been given props on here. And I was not dissapointed I watched about 5 episodes back to back. Great chemistry, concept and execution, however, all the production photos and serenity shot make it look like th most camp thing in the world, but once you watch a few eps it really is very good indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X