Xbox Emulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox Emulation

Post your impressions of the various emulators available. Be really critical please especially of image quality, framerate and sound issues

Final Burn: Close to perfection. All it needs is a key config in game and the possibility to play in a true vertical mode for shooters. Image quality is great except for vertical shooters as they are not running in their native resolution.

UAEX
    I have version 0.6, I believe there is a v0.7 which gives a range of resolution options. Basically, if you're wanting to emulate the Amiga, you can't go far wrong with this. It's considerably easier to configure, compared to the PC version, and even trumps the likes of fellow/winfellow in this respect.

Image quality is top notch. On PC uaex/winfellow it's hard to configure the resolution such that hi-res interlaced Amiga resolutions don't shimmer or look dithered to hell and back. Also, there's no more trying to faff about with PC screen resolutions, as you can use the twin sticks to pan the Amiga screen and resize it until it matches your TV viewing area perfectly.

Sound is spot on. I've no noticed any issues at all, and it's nice to hear Amiga tunes in full seperated stereo again.

Framerates are again spot on, from what I've sampled. Clearly, the Xbox has more than enough power to cane the Amiga. (even my old P3 500 did).

Excellent emu, but currently compiled using the MSDK, so unless you know where to obtain it, you'll have to wait until it's officially recompiled with the Open SDK libraries.

Comment

XSNES9x: Image quality is too dark and muddy. Avoid.

Comment

MAME-X appears blurry, even through RGB. I'd be interested to know how Final Burn counters this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Square
          MAME-X appears blurry, even through RGB. I'd be interested to know how Final Burn counters this problem.
          I've been one of the main complainers of MAME-X's IQ problems. FB really is exceptional though, no IQ problems at all and even has in-game screen adjuster!

Comment

Yeah, I found that by accident. very useful.

Plus, as the core emu is smaller, it runs some of the larger roms like Xmen vs Streetfighter.

Comment

You can swicth "Point Filtering" ON in Final Burn, this cures the Xbox Blur(tm)

Was playing Children Of The Atom last night - it's near perfect!

Comment

##

Comment

Originally posted by Sidez
                  Thunderblade!

I LOVE THUNDERBLADE SO MUCH!!11!! WTF LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                    You can swicth "Point Filtering" ON in Final Burn, this cures the Xbox Blur(tm)
                    How do you do that, Saur? Does it have to be installed on the HD?

Comment

Oh and someone post some NES emulator impressions please.

Comment

Hu-Go! - no sure what version.

PC-Engine emulator. Near perfect compatibility, very little framerate problems but some sound issues on some titles.

Button config., decent picture quality but a bit of a naff menu system.

Sidez, what version of Final Burn have you got and whats the latest release? I think I have version 0.3b or something.. which I believe is the latest one... overall I think Final Burn is the best one available right now by far.

In order I would rank the top emus as:

1. Final Burn
                        2. MameX / xSnes9x
                        3. Hu-Go!

That megadrive emulator is also very good but I forget its name.

Comment

D-Gen is the Megadrive emulator (and a good 'un it is too).

I was pretty disappointed with the Hu-Go emulator, having used Magic Engine on the PC - shame no-one has had a go at transferring this to the 'Box. The Hu-Go I got is version 2 and I find that the sound problems really spoil the games for me - perhaps there's a later version somewhere?

Sidez - surprised that you have issues with XSnes9X - I've never noticed any of the problems that you have, and I've always considered it to be one of the best (if not the best) emulator on the 'Box.

Comment

I just play it at Saur's yard. Hoping to get an extra Xbox for chipping soon though.

XSnes9X IQ is simply dreadful and judging by the screens on the official website it hasn't been fixed. If you know of any settings that can be applied to make it look as good as a SFC running in RGB then let us know please ^^

Comment

I seem to remember someone posting a config file on another forum a while back that supposedly fixed the xSnes9x resolution issue... he had basically tweaked settings to hell and back to get it looking good.

I like Hu-Go! but yeh the sound issue does ruin some games, there is another PC Engine emulator out now but its not Magic Engine (which rocks).

Comment

Working...
                              X