Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eye Toy: Novelty or an aid to progress gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye Toy: Novelty or an aid to progress gaming?

Im undecided if this piece of equipment will be anymore than a novelty item picked up and used only a couple of times.

From what I have seen of it, the collision detection with the games bundled with it looks very good, but they don't look like they would keep a gamer occupied for more than 30 minutes. It could lead to quite innovative uses in games, but would developers be willing to include Eye Toy capabilties if initial sales weren't great?

Whats everyone elses thoughts on the gadget?

As the Game On show hsa had the Eye Toy for nearly a year, I can honestly say that it's a nice item. The demos are nice and keep people interested for 10 minutes and I've played quite a few games and demos, but I can't see it keeping people too hooked for more then a few weeks.

There is talk of a Harry Potter game coming out which uses a coloured wand and allows you to cast spells by moving the wand in various directions and creating shapes. Again played the demo and it's fun, but can't see me using it after a few weeks.

I've made the suggestion that they use a Dance Mat within a game, so you can walk around a room and jump and punch your way around a room in a 3D Bouncer type game...

It was meant to be released late last year but I think the lack of long term games have stopped it coming out so far...

Comment

Originally posted by MD
      I've made the suggestion that they use a Dance Mat within a game, so you can walk around a room and jump and punch your way around a room in a 3D Bouncer type game...
      Interesting idea although the combat would be rather limiting due to you only being able to punch. I guess you could use the mat buttons to kick as well, but it may over complicate the idea.

I think the Eye Toy might work in attracting non gamers though. I can see the demos being quite good party games.

Comment

A rythm game would work well with it (such as samba de amigo) and also something similar to police 24-7 should be possible allowing you to duck in shooting games

(first post!)

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Feather
          A rythm game would work well with it (such as samba de amigo) and also something similar to police 24-7 should be possible allowing you to duck in shooting games

(first post!)
          OK, for those that don't know me I designed one of the games in the EyeToy package and had a good go on three of the games.

Firstly, there already is a rhythmn action game for it, which makes you look like an early-90s raver. It's quite funny.

Kung Foo is great fun and so is Wishy Washy. Basically these aren't intended to be long-term games - they're there for you to get out in parties/gatherings, and they serve that purpose incredibly well - people always laugh when playing/watching the games.

It's not going to be the future of videogaming, but its an inexpensive fun toy that will get many people interested in videogaming, or at least not as prejudiced.

--Ed

Comment

It's Ed! (the guy in the fairplay t-shirt right?)

I don't remember seeing a rthym game on TV, just that game you created, piston panic

When this gets released, they will hopefully include a lot of mini-games on one disc and no charge too much for it - novelty items aren't worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Feather
              It's Ed! (the guy in the fairplay t-shirt right?)

I don't remember seeing a rthym game on TV, just that game you created, piston panic

When this gets released, they will hopefully include a lot of mini-games on one disc and no charge too much for it - novelty items aren't worth it
              Yes, it is

I could say more as to answering your questions, but I'm not sure if I should (Non Disclosure Agreements and all that...)

I probably will though

--Ed

Comment

The Eye Toy is a killer app of sorts, because it is designed to appeal to the mainstream mass-market.

If it is a success it will expand the games playing demographic in a similar way to Dance mat games.

I can see the Eye Toy being a great success at parties, especially at Christmas. It would compliment all the other parlour games you play at such gatherings.

I will certainly be getting the device when it comes out and look forward to inflicting it on my friends at the earliest opportunity. It will sure beat Charades or Boulderdash!

Comment

As most people here see the biggest asset of the Eye Toy as a party game tool, are there any 2 player games for it?

Comment

I'm interested in what might come after EyeToy, in terms of gaming in augmented reality. I know that there have been attempts at creating Quake in AR (the ARQuake Project from the University of South Australia) and a few other AR games from research labs in Japan (such as the MR Lab). Most of these involve see-through head mounted displays and allowing users/gamers to wander around their environment - so it will be some time before such systems can be produced and released commercially.

I see great potential in the EyeToy approach for gaming in AR because of the low costs - a console, tv and web cam setup. I've been working on tangible augmented reality interfaces, where physical objects (such as marker cards or blocks) are tracked visually using a camera. Users/gamers can manipulate the objects, and by using gestures or adjusting the positions can interact with the system/game.

There's an open source library that does this, the ARToolKit, developed at the University of Washington - check out some of the videos to see an example of this kind of system:

I think that games incorporating this kind of interface might bring new and exciting elements to gaming, especially for the mass market/non gamers: interaction through the real world rather than a joypad...

I'm hoping to have some time over the next few months to implement some demos/games... Gotta finish my Phd first though!

Comment

It all depends on the imagination of those who make its games and how well its promoted, surely.

Comment

Well, all I'll say for now is that this package will not cost as much as you think it will. Or at least, that's what I was told (in December, it could change for now).

Oh, and as for 2 player - yes, there are two player games. Wishi Washi could be played in 2 player, as can the game I designed.

--Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Epistaxis
                          Well, all I'll say for now is that this package will not cost as much as you think it will. Or at least, that's what I was told (in December, it could change for now).

Oh, and as for 2 player - yes, there are two player games. Wishi Washi could be played in 2 player, as can the game I designed.

--Ed
                          I heard it was going to cost around ?40 along with the demo disk. Is that about right?

Comment

Hi Ed,

Can you get that nice Ron to give us some more demos apart from the Liquid Fire demo we have.

Ta.

Barry
                            Game On Exhibition

Comment

Originally posted by MD
                              Hi Ed,

Can you get that nice Ron to give us some more demos apart from the Liquid Fire demo we have.

Ta.

Barry
                              Game On Exhibition
                              LOL, I'll try dropping him an e-mail, I haven't seen him since before Christmas (when he showed me a prototype of my game). He's a nice bloke, though, so maybe if I write to him he'll do something. Don't count on it, though.

--Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X