Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Descent

Just back from this and it's great.

It builds up very slowly and then POW it kicks off!

As with Dog Soldiers Neil Marshall uses relatively unknown actors which imho helps you get to know the characters and not base your feelings for them from previous works. It's claustrophobic, tense and rather unnerving throughout the underground scene's, best of all it's ultra gory!

Nice to see an 18 cert movie as every film's a 12A now.

I would definately recommend this to any horror fans and urge you to see it at the cinema before it gets swallowed up by summer Hollywood pap.

Oh, i thought the ending was nice too.
    Last edited by Mad Gear; 09-07-2005, 22:14.

dont want to spoil it but first i'll say...............dont expect your cheap uk boring film material(at least in this genre) this is EXTREMEit was nothing like what i was expecting, and was paced brilliantly.

go and see it now!!!

Comment

I've heard nothing but great things about this film, will try and catch it at soon as possible

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear

Nice to see an 18 cert movie as every film's a 12A now.
        i knew it would be gory as most films as you say are 12a these days!!!

Comment

Very entertaining, I wasnt expecting too much after Dog Soldiers but this was thankfully far better, nice and claustrophobic (as a film about caves should be) and with some half-decent special effects too. I also liked the cast, in particular Juno, not least because of her nice rack. Im sure Ive seen those baddies somewhere before, Im sure it will come to me soon. Personally Id say the 18 was a bit too high, more a 15 for me perhaps except for the bone scene which probably pushed it to the higher rating. Two good cinema movies seen in two days ****/5

Comment

Oh man, i only went to see this last night on your recommendations and i hated it!

I absolutely loathed every single one of the charactters and their mixture of silly accents. I wanted them all to die about 10 minutes in.

Also, i realise that in every horror movie people have to make some sort of stupid decision at some point to get the scary situations set up, but jesus christ, this film took the biscuit. I just felt like there was no way they would have gone down that cave in real life. Also, they explicitly stated before entering that nobody was to wander off on their own, so 5 minutes later they let people go wandering about on their own. Just...dumb.

Dont want to say too much about this bit (cant remember how to do spoilers!) but the bit towards the end when one of the characters just suddenly turns all hardcore was just laugable.

I can appreciate that there were a couple of good moments, but i think they were ruined for me on the whole by a selection of characters i just found myself utterly despising.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
              some half-decent special effects too
              I just realised you had written this and it made me remember how terrible i thoguht the effects were! Seriously, there were bits when one of the characters was standing there with the cave around her and the other members of the group all in the background, and it looked so ropey i almost laughed.

Comment

The only charecter I didnt like to any degree was Holly I think her name was, the one who broke her leg and died horribly thankfully.

Comment

Haha, spoilerific! But yeah, she was a fool.

Comment

Actually thinking back **** is a bit too high for me, so Ill retract that and give it *** because I did enjoy the film, and so far as British horrors go its not bad at all.

Comment

Finally went to see this today as part of my "locked out and nobody can let me in for 10 hours" induced Cinema marathon.

Possible light spoilers from here on in

I feel that the film started extremely strongly, brilliantly paced and built up, but totally fell apart in the second half due to the poor deployment of the monsters. Essentially, the films like this work by becoming more and more tightly wound as the movie continues, and as the characters journey through the setting.

In this case, the journey takes place going ever deeper into the cave system, with a number of drops and falls bringing them further and further in. It starts promisingly, with a relatively safe outer area, then distant shots of the creatures as they get a little deeper.

Then bang, it goes and ruins itself by turning the film into a monster-spamm0r of a plot. They're literally everywhere, and although I'm sure the eternal presence of the creatures is supposed to increase our sense of claustrophobia in the movie, for me it did completely the opposite, as the caves opened out regularly for fight scenes and running sequences.

I loved the first hald, but I felt as though it seriously lost it's way in the second.

Comment

I enjoyed it, like has been said previously first half was better than second and women going off on their own in a horror movie is almost compulsory nowadays unfortunately. Well worth watching imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Corrupt Rose
                          Then bang, it goes and ruins itself by turning the film into a monster-spamm0r of a plot. They're literally everywhere, and although I'm sure the eternal presence of the creatures is supposed to increase our sense of claustrophobia in the movie, for me it did completely the opposite, as the caves opened out regularly for fight scenes and running sequences.
                          Yuck. Big mistake, if you ask me; I'm far more scared of enclosed tunnels than I am of rather silly looking monsters.

Comment

Watched this again (this time on DVD) and like many films I watch first in the cinema, and then on DVD, I enjoyed it more so second time round. Maybe its the comfortableness of watching it at home, or my rig which allows me to have it just as I want it, but I found it gripping throughout. Juno is still my favourite (the lovely Natalie Mendoza), and I was still very pleased when Holly

bought it

, I found the creatures more menacing than before and the setting even more chlaustrophobic. A quality British horror that pulls no punches, and isnt afraid to shy away from a audience-pleasing happy ending (and a powerful, unexpected ending at that).
                            Last edited by marcus; 13-11-2005, 20:34.

Comment

Watched this for the first time last night on DVD. Brilliant film, best horror I've seen in ages. I must admit that a little bit of wee came out when I saw the first creature.

Comment

Working...
                              X