The Megadrive - A fantastic console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Megadrive - A fantastic console

The snes will arguably be remembered as the greatest console (or at least the most fondly remembered at the moment), but the MD also had some absolutely brilliant games. So this thread is for everyone to discuss their favourite MD games.

Mine would be;
    Gunstar Heroes - an obvious choice, but it offered relentless and imaginative action
    Dynamite Headdy - The craziest platform game I have ever played
    Sonic and Knuckles - Fast, and great level design
    Streets of Rage 2 - great music, great action and surprising amount of depth

Your turn

We need more retro discussions

See here: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/viewtopic.php?t=638

Great minds, Cookie, great minds ^^

To answer your question:

Shinobi 3. Best one after the original, imo. Underrated.
    Gunstar. Hell yeah.
    Sonic 2. Bliss.
    Ranger X. Very cool, although pretty hard.
    Thunderforce 4.

...loads of others. I'll add more when my memory has been jogged ^^

Comment

Forgot about Shinobi 3. Great game although I dont have time to play it anymore so I am now selling it

Comment

Strider a storming conversion of an awesome game. Never seemed to let up, and constantly required the player to stay on their toes.
        Sonic the Hedgehog 2 the only game that made me jealous that I owned a SNES instead of a Mega Drive at the time. Clearly Sega used to be good at marketing.
        Mickey & Donald: World of Illusion The cooperative mode was bliss. Shame few games offer cooperative options. I like to hold off killing my less game-skilled mates occassionally
        Streets of Rage series Perhaps somewhat generic at the time, but no one has done the genre better since. Made even more impressive thanks to the awesome musical score. I remember I hated the music in SOR3 at first, then when I went back to it a few years ago, couldn't stop messing with sound test.

Comment

Comix Zone - A truly original side-scroller where you leapt from scene to scene in a comic book using a range of kick-ass moves to defeat your opponents. Short game, but oh so sweet.

Shinobi 3 - Some of the greatest 16-bit music courtesy of Yuzo Koshiro, the playability and wealth of original and interesting levels made it one of the most playable and fun games ever.

Streets Of Rage 2 - The greatest side scrolling beat em up. EVER. Great characters, timeless music by Yuzo Koshiro once again, and huge sprites!
          reall bought the arcade to home at it's time (1992)

Thundeforce IV - Super playable, rock hard shooting goodness. Very playable with a fair learning curve, and great music and art, made it one of the best.

Sonic 3 + Knuckles - The 'True Sonic 3' was a huge, 14 zone adventure of lush, vivid graphics, quality music and some of the very best in stage and set design. Supremely playbale run and jump goodness, that is still enjoyable to this day.

Zero Wing - Look behing the 'all your base' bull**** and you have a great little shooter with some of the nicest set pieces and heartfelt 16-bit tunes ever to come out of the MD. The tractor beam was a great touch.

Desert Strike - When EA was good, they put out some cracking games to establish their reputation. Desert Strike was their first big , big hit and deservedly so! Controlling an attack chopper in the gulf war, you had to save POW's, and do all sorts of inventive missions. Smart isometric graphics and strong gameplay made it one of the best. Also, it featured in my opinion the first nasty cut scene in videogames, when the fuhrer slaps his assistant round the face, that was awesome.

Rocket Knight Adventures - Konami's platform game is such a blast to play thanks to it's unique humor and excellent design and graphics. The jetpack made it much more open than other platform games and made for some fiendish level puzzles. underrated classic.

Micro Machines 2 TT - Back in the day this was arguably the most playable game ever. Hook up with 4 friends and it was impossible to put down.

Story Of Thor - Sega's attempt at a Zelda style adventure and it did not dissapoint. Graphics were lush and vivid, and the landscapes looked great. Cut-scenes looked brilliant at the time and the sound and music was great, from Koshiro again. Hell, most of the SFX is ripped straight from Streets of Rage.

Revenge Of Shinobi - The classic side scroller. So good, i can't describe it. Excels in all fields, a game to be experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by C'
            Mickey & Donald: World of Illusion The cooperative mode was bliss. Shame few games offer cooperative options. I like to hold off killing my less game-skilled mates occassionally
            I had fond memories of this game as well, so when I picked it up at Gamestation last year I couldn't have been more disappointed. The level design was poor, the controls were slow, and it just wasnt fun anymore
            That is a problem with retro games. Some times the memory of them is better than the actual reality, although not all the time of course.

Originally posted by "Plisken
            Comix Zone
            That is such a difficult game. An interesting idea, but the combat seemed quite limited.

Comment

Hellfire - kick ass shooter, where you can switch the fire pattern of your ship.

Gunstar - for onvious reasons.

Rolling Thunder 2 - great coin-op, great MD game.

Eswat - not sure why, but I've always had a soft spot for this one.

Mercs - stroll up the screen, destroy everything that isn't you - marvellous.

Comment

Favourite MD games (in no particular order):

Comix Zone with the comic book and a cool story, the gameplay was also easy and enjoyable.
                Mickey & Donald: World of Illusion and the same reason as C', the cooperative was really good.
                Sonic & Knuckles my favourite game from the Sonic series to appear in MD, it has great melodies and a superb level design.
                Ecco, this game here is one game that has great moments and some bad moments (when we don't see the solution for the puzzle ), once again, great themes.

Can't remember of any other...

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
                  I had fond memories of this game as well, so when I picked it up at Gamestation last year I couldn't have been more disappointed. The level design was poor, the controls were slow, and it just wasnt fun anymore
                  That is a problem with retro games. Some times the memory of them is better than the actual reality, although not all the time of course.
                  La la la, I can't hear you

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                    La la la, I can't hear you
                    I'LL SHOUT THEN

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
                      Originally posted by C'
                      I loved it, you've just persuaded me to avoid re-living fond memories!

I hope it is for the best!

Comment

Have to agree with all mentioned so far
                        Also:
                        Contra:Couldn't believe it was better than the snes version
                        Alien Soldier:Great bosses
                        Eternal Champions:worthy attempt to beat street fighter

Comment

Okay first with the obvious

Streets of Rage Series - 2 is my favourite but i think they are all sublime works of genius i reckon ive beaten all 3 well over 100 times each 2 is probably headed for 1000 completions and thats no joke i just love the playability and fun factor these games give

Sonic series - 2 is my favourite 3 just behind - i remember getting 2 at xmas and playing it all day, fantastic, one of my fave memories is going into dixons with ?60 primed ready to spend on sonic 3 and they had it on a one day special for ?45 saved ?15 and got a fantastic game to boot

World of Illusion - Cookie your lying, i played this again about a month back with a m8 and it was still a sound and fantastically enojyable experience which i would reccomend anyone tries

Soleil - quirky rpg maybe sort of snes zelda style, it looks it but ive never played zelda snes so im not certain, anyway i wasnt too good at it and got nowhere nr the end but it was tonnes of fun

Gunstar Heroes - an obvious choice but has to be mentioned just because its such a fantastic game, evry1 shud own this, the jap version is a lot better than the PAL one its a difference seeing it at 60z full screen!!

Comment

Oh the hours I spent on Hellfire, what a SUPERB game .
                            Still play Sensible Soccer every week or 2.
                            Alien Soldier is feckin hard, but very very nice.
                            Streets of Rage 2, still superb after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Streets Of Rage
                              World of Illusion - Cookie your lying, i played this again about a month back with a m8 and it was still a sound and fantastically enojyable experience which i would reccomend anyone tries
                              Maybe it is only good as a co-op game. I dont have any friends that would even contemplate playing this game anymore.
                              I do remember it being a good single player game though, and it certainly isn't that anymore. IMO of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X