The Returner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Returner

Has anyone seen this film yet? A mate of mine imported the deluxe edition which is ?50 and it sounds really good but I am not paying out that money for a crap film. Heres a description:

In this surreal crime thriller, Miyamoto, aka "Returner" (Takeshi Kaneshiro), is sent on a mission in the Yokohama underworld. There he meets Milly (Anne Suzuki), a 15-year-old girl who lives in the future. Milly tells him they only have three days left before the world comes to an end. Can the two save the World from destruction? A trully new style of movie, non-stop action, end to end that will keep you on your toes. Directed by Takashi Yamazaki.
    Sounds interesting, any good?

It's an average film saved somewhat by the likeable lead bloke and some bloody nifty CGI (not technically amazing but very imaginative - i dont want to spoil it for you). The main minus point apart from a flakey plot are the western actors in it which totally ruin their respective scenes. It's as if the film producers went on the street and picked random people who couldn't speak english, and then got them to read from a prompter they could hardly see.

Overall it's nothing special but no doubt will be hyped to the extreme max just because it's from Japan.

The Deluxe JAP release is certainly not worth anywhere near ?50, even with the crappy postcards and stuff you get with it. If you want i'd get the HK release from someone like DDDHouse, or just borrow it from your mate

Comment

I remember someone posted a trailer for this on the old forums, it had a cool looking transformer type thingy.

Comment

Perhaps this is of any help.

Comment

Its pretty awful IMO

Comment

Yeah, I picked up the Region 3 disc of this flick and though it was pretty average tbh. It starts off very promisingly with some great comedy interplay between the two leads, and lots of OTT violence from the superb psycho bad guy. The arms-dealing OAP is also performed brilliantly. The second half of the movie was a total let-down for me 'cause they start to lay on the schmaltz almost to the point of it being a kid's movie, in total contrast to the earlier uber-violence. Plus as Kirby mentioned, the Western actors were completely mince and the dialogue in these scenes actually made me cringe! On the plus side the DVD has an anamorphic transfer and very good English subs (quite rare on a HK release).

Comment

I just watched this, and I thought it was dire. To me it was like some god-awful sci-fi TV movie, I could rant all night but nobody deserves that

Awful acting, terrible clich?s, ripped off god knows how many other sci-fi films. The english 'actors', my god. It's like they were actually trying to speak their lines phonetically.

One bit of unintentional hilarity was the whole alien bit at the end when it turned into E.T.
              The girl's holding this poor, dying, shot up alien like some kind of ragdoll. She's trying to open a big metal door and she's ramming into it while she's still holding the unfortunate alien. Then again later when the girl and guy run towards each other and then collide into a big hug, with this dying alien sandwiched between them...I'm surprised she didn't kill the damn thing, nevermind the 'crazy-haired bad guy'.
              #edit# oh, and the 'transformer' was in this film for all of 10 seconds.

Comment

lol. resurrect.

I'm watching this now. Cheesetastic. Loving it so far.

Comment

Maximum awesomeness. This is almost as good as "Ninja Vs Mafia"

Anyone not seen Ninja Vs Mafia? It's the best film of all time.

Ripped from comments on imdb, someone describes the amazing ninja-disguised-as-clump-of-grass scene.

"During this duel, our hero finds himself besieged by a group of speeding grass clump ninja! Yes, you read that correctly….you really have not lived until you have witnessed the astonishing sight of a large clump of grass whizzing across a neatly kept lawn at high speed! And how does our man combat such a terrifying menace you might ask? Well the only way possible against this deadly art - he uproots a sapling and proceeds to beat the ninja senseless with it!"

Comment

I love Returner! I've owned it a few times too: VCD, Region 3 DVD and then the official UK DVD. The CG is pretty good considering how bad the special effects are in some J-SciFi.

This is up there with Casshern Live Action in terms of guilty pleasures!!

Comment

Working...
                    X