Opening a PS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening a PS2

I've agreed to look inside my friend's broken PS2 to take a look around. On unscrewing it and trying to get it open, it seems that one side just won't budge. I'd pull hard, but I'm afraid of tearing the ribbon cable which is apparently very easy to do.

OK, so what's the obvious thing that I'm missing? And yes, all the screws are out.

well i sugest a big mallet and a thin file

Comment

Dont listen to snowman he tried painting a dreamcast and painted the lens!!!

id wait for saurian to answer if i were you

Comment

Mate, check you have removed all the screws. I know this sounds daft, but after tinking with a JPN 10000, I couldn't for the life of me open a new PAL v7.. until I noticed that there were different screws, and I'd missed removing some.

When all the screws are removed, the lid should come off with barely any resistence, and you certainly shouldn't need to force it.

Comment

OK, it's a SCPH-30003, I think this is the version with 6 screws?
          If so, I've removed all of them. Are there any other the little pads/"feet" on the base?

And yes, personally I think a mallet would be a good idea but I my friend likes his PS2, and if anyone asks, Gamecube is for kids and has no good games, only ones for "nancy boys"

Comment

looks like you have missed some screws.

gonna move this to import q&a.

Comment

Off the top of my head, you'll have the 6 screws under the sticky pads on the top (long screws). Also, however, you may have 2 or 3 small screws at the front (under plastic tabs, IIRC from the 10000 JPN).

Not sure this helps you though, as yours is sticking at the back, it would seem. Worth checking for though.

Comment

Off the top of my head, isn't there a warranty sticker on the back that needs to be removed? Can't remember/check as my current PS2 was bought pre-modded from Saur. Have a check, i guess that might be the reason its sticking.

Comment

I already opened mine and had no trouble, you say the model is the SCPH-30003, mine is a SCPH-30004 and has 8 screws. Instead of opening it to the left side, do it to the right one since the cable that connects from the PS2 reset/eject buttons to the board isn't letting you open it, you may already know but be careful with the cable.

Comment

Yep as wager said look for the warranty sticker placed vertically near the power button and sockets. I can't tell from your photo whether it's been taken off already :P

Comment

Thanks for all the help, but I just put it back together ... he never plays it much anyway (still though he tells me he's in the know about games and I shouldn't have bought a DeadCast or GayCube )

As for the ribbon cable, we were shining torches in to make sure we knew exactly where it was so we didn't tear it, so yeah we were being pretty careful.

And yup - I took the warranty sticker off. Any idea if Sony will accept it for repairs once the sticker's been removed? The year's warranty was already up.

Comment

Yeah they will accept it for repairs, but your mate had better be prepared for a big bill!

Comment

10 screws for an original v3 (release date PAL PS2). Check under the rubber feet, and the plastic caps.

8 screws for later models.

Comment

Yeah i had this problem then found a screw under the rubber feet! DOH

Comment

What is the fault with this PS2?

Comment

Working...
                              X