Best ever Footy Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ever Footy Game?

Well hmmm let me see i reckon its sens on the amiga or is it kick off or pro evo ????? not sure

im gonna run with sensible soccer i just loved it

If you`re choosing between those two, it depends whether you want something closer to a simulation or something purer and more `gamelike`.

I loved both personally, and they are so so different so I wouldn`t even bother to say which is better personally.

[shameless plug]Anyway- if you haven`t please check out my review of WE6-FE (cube version)[/shameless plug]

Comment

kick off is a game that was really popular at the time but time has not been kind. In fact, as soon as sensible soccer came out, it was consigned to history.

Sensible soccer is my favourite game ever and it is still pretty playable (understatement alert!).

WE6 (having not played FE for any real length of time) is the BEST footy game i have played. It is better than PES2 aswell which i think has been altered fundamentally with the differening physics and dribbling mechanic.

Comment

Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution is the best.
        Why can't those idiots release it outside of Japan so I can actually understand the damn thing??

Comment

Sensible Soccer. The amount of hours I spent playing end to end ping pong type football on that game shocking. The goalkeepers also seemed to be a lot better at actually stopping shots than diving over them as far as I recall.

In an honorable second place the game that spent the most time in my n64, ISS98. Eventually the cart died due to overuse and I became addicted to getting a perfect season (all 94 games) with Italy with retrying any games. The closest I got was 92 wins and 2 draws in a season which included Albertini getting a 16 game ban because the game always added a game or 3 after each red card.

Comment

Virtua Striker 3 for me. Good clean arcade fun.

Comment

Definitely WE6 F.E for me, and i pity any development house that is developing a footy game at the moment, they are on to a losing battle.

I reckon a Winning Eleven/Champ Manager hybrid would be awesome.

Comment

Although I loved the little I have played of WE6, I havent spent enough time with it to truly class it as my favourite football game ever. For that its a no contest, ISS98 on the N64 was by far my most played football game ever, and by that measure must rank as my favourite.

Comment

kick off was terrible in my view. Pro Evo and Pro Evo 2 rock.

Neil.

Comment

Kickoff was a joy to play - it took a lot more skill than most modern day footie games, dribbling was truly an artform which needed to be mastered rather than just given to you (think sticking to foot syndrome)

Sensi gave you the fluid passing play that most modern day footie games have emulated - could result in some pinball footie situations but one touch passing from defense to a goal was always fun

Perfect 11 and Fighting 11 (Super Famicom) raised the stakes in the console arena - known over here as ISS and ISS Deluxe these 2 are gonna be altime classics. it actually played similar to real life footie with a strong defensive game backed up by an actually workign passing game in midfield and spectacular and average goals

Fifa 98 was good on the psx - first one to actually push the frontier onto what we should expect from a game now - licensed music and all the players, brilliant presentation - the game played well but did succumb to the running the full length of the pitch with the ball syndrome

Olympic Soccer and Soccer 97 - played very similar to Sensi soccer but on a horizontal plane rather than vertical - Olympic Soccer was highly bug ridden which could result in some funny 2p matches (goalie turning round and dropping the ball into the net was one highlight, another was the clock stopping on 89 mins until one person scored - made a 1-0 result even more enjoyable/annoying)

Winning Eleven pushed the boat out in terms of excellence - first one i ever played was J-League which annoyed a lot of my mates since its not as much fun playing with Grampus Eight as it is with Brazil - the gameplay was there though which is what mattered)

N64 version was the real introduction of the throughball button - only problem with this title was it were more arcadey than its psx cousin - best footie game of the last gen was definitely winning eleven 99 (ISS pro i think)

and finally the best of all time - it has to be winning eleven 6 final evolution, complete excellence in every department (except for licensing players names)

my ideal footie game would be the playability of we6 fe combined with the presentation/licensing of Fifa 2003 -- work in a better management system (i want to have player made freekick/corner routines, and to tell certain players when to do certain runs (run onto the flanks etc)

camps

Comment

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the game, but it was made by Konami and appeared in the arcades in the early to mid 90's. It involved hard tackles and building up a power bar for super shots. It was pure arcade fun.

Anyone know the name?

Comment

Sensible Soccer, I deveoted more hours of my life to that game than anything else I can remember.

Comment

Yup, has to be Sensibe Soccer, I just never felt the thrill with the more 'serious' footy games.

Comment

The problem I had with Sensi was that once I became really good at the game, I could score 9 times out of ten just by repeating the same tactic of a long shot with a little dip and bend, the opposition goalkeepers rarely got a touch to that. Apart from that the game was beautiful though, watching a sweeping attack build up from scratch was simply wondeful. Kick Off I loved also, however Sensi really raised the benchmark for me.

Anyone remember Match Day 3 on the Spectrum/C64, with its unique "diamond deflection system"? Yet another football title that in its time, was unbeatable.

Comment

ISS98 on N64 until WE6 came out... but the former really did get some play time...
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                              X