Donations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donations

I noticed on another forum, that if you donate you get made a "super member" or something silly like that. Just wondered if it would help the forum out if something similar was set up here. A totally voluntary thing whereby if you choose to donate maybe you're allowed to have your feedback thread as a sig or something, and/or the ability to delete your own posts, or a members only forum? Maybe an annual fee of ?2.50 or something.
    Just wondering what the general opinion on this was.

'All members are equal, but some are more equal than others'

or something like that......

Comment

Thanks for the kind offer.
      People are welcome to donate if they want, but we can't offer anything for it.
      This website is a free service. We have no income and there are no outgoings (apart from buying our own games, but we'd be doing that anyway regardless of if we were reviewing them).
      All we ask from members is that they join in the discussion and spread the word about the benefits of importing.
      Thanks
      charlesr

Comment

Out of interest how much does a forum like this cost to run per month/year?

Comment

Initial code cost is something like ?90 if I remember rightly and then there's a yearly sub (?30?) which we share the cost of. There are plenty of free boards about though. Not sure how much hosting would normally cost. Ours is currently free.

Comment

I wouldn`t mind chucking a few quid in the pot once a year, how about a paypal setup so those who wanted to make a donation could without drawing attention to them selves (so I`ll opt out this year) lol

Comment

You just want to pay to be a super member.

Originally posted by jimmie2k
              I noticed on another forum, that if you donate you get made a "super member" or something silly like that. Just wondered if it would help the forum out if something similar was set up here. A totally voluntary thing whereby if you choose to donate maybe you're allowed to have your feedback thread as a sig or something, and/or the ability to delete your own posts, or a members only forum? Maybe an annual fee of ?2.50 or something.
              Just wondering what the general opinion on this was.

Comment

Er, no.
                It was just a thought. I thought it would encourage more people to donate to a forum that we all use. And I wondered what other peoples opinions on the matter were. If I'd wanted to pay to be a super member then I would do so on RLLMUK.
                As Huxley said I'd be more than willing to donate into a paypal fund or something, myself and many others have used these boards free of charge to sell stuff many times, seems only fair that if they want, people should be able to donate a little something for the upkeep. No?

Comment

its free, sure donations would be good

but you can buy/sell/discuss games on any other free forum

*shrug*

Comment

That's all my initial point was really. Sure the forum is provided free of charge, but someone somewhere has to cough up the dough for it. Maybe a paypal link would be a good idea, then anyone who feels the need could just donate a couple of quid every so often.

Comment

Another forum I visit was very nearly finished by the issue of making donations - not a good idea to bring it in if you want the community to survive.

Comment

agreed

"I donated so I can .. "

..no you can't.

Comment

There's a donate button on the homepage. You don't get any credit or recognition for donating. I don't imagine many people will donate, but thanks in advance to anyone that does. Any money in the pot will go towards the annual VB sub and any left after that will go on competition prizes.
                          Anyone donating and expecting something in return (apart from a warm fuzzy feeling inside from having done something from the goodness of their heart) will be laughed at.
                          Everybody happy?

Comment

Have you just set that up, or have I missed it this whole time?

Comment

Youve missed it m8, this issue has been brought up many times in the past. Bloody noob! j/k............

Comment

Working...
                              X