Cel shading moving in to the mature market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cel shading moving in to the mature market

I have had a few discussions with people about the emergence of the more mature cel shaded game (Killer 7 and XIII being 2 of the main ones). Personally I think it is a good move. They both seem to be following the graphic novel style that offers greater freedom to the developer.
    However some people are unsure of it's use in FPS's and games of a similar ilk.

So anyone on here have an opinion on the issue?

Not too sure Id say XIII is a more mature game, though saying that Ive only seen a few screenshots, but I quite like how it looks so far. Kinda reimnds me of the old Adam West Batman series with the 'BAM' and 'BABOOM' captions during the game. But yeah, I like it. Its a style that some people seem to slate just because its been done before in JSR. People seem to get too caught up in the 'must be new, must be innovative' mindset to actually like something. Looking forward to how this shapes up.

Comment

Well

i all depends on what the game sets out to do. I think x111 looks great and kller 7 even more so. Just hope gameplay can follow suit.

Comment

Cel Shaded Aeon Flux game please.

Comment

<Babs`> Classified Information
          <Babs`> Classified Information

<up-to-8 pose>

Comment

<me hails Sonic as genius pose>

Comment

Dark Cloud 2 is the best cel-shading i have seen in any console game upto now - including Zelda

Done right cel-shading is the sweetest graphics you can see - done wrong and its just blah

camps

Comment

Done right cel-shading is the sweetest graphics you can see - done wrong and its just blah
                I agree, which is why I find it odd how people can moan at 'yet another cell shaded game' when there is so much on offer.

Although I use the term loosely, 'toon shading' can invoke feelings that games styled on 'real' settings cannot easily provide. Otherwordly graphics can easily take you right into the game with relitive ease; they take you to new places. More than that, you actually like it there.

Ico and Zelda are just two examples.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                  I agree, which is why I find it odd how people can moan at 'yet another cell shaded game' when there is so much on offer.

Although I use the term loosely, 'toon shading' can invoke feelings that games styled on 'real' settings cannot easily provide. Otherwordly graphics can easily take you right into the game with relitive ease; they take you to new places. More than that, you actually like it there.

Ico and Zelda are just two examples.
                  Exactly right, this is the reason why in the film industry there is still a place for animation along side live action.

Some times cel shading, or toon shading can create a greater emotional attachment, or suit a particular story (Zelda and XIII being 2) perfectly.

Comment

how true can you get, for those who have used it before, will know how hard it is to get to lookright, i dont like the games that use it 'for the hell of it' allmost.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkAttack
                      Cel Shaded Aeon Flux game please.
                      Damn, that would be so cool. Shame that there's already been two Aeon Flux games that entered development then were subsequently cancelled. One on the PlayStation, and one on the PC. The PlayStation one didn't look up to much tho. PN03 is probably about the closest there's going to be to an Aeon Flux game I think. Somehow tho, I don't think demand would be high enough to really make it worth a developer's while so long after the TV series finished. But it would still be bloody cool if by some miracle it did happen, and the developer didn't mess it up.

Later.

Comment

Killer 7 looks mush lush.

Don't know what the game's mechanics are like though. Hopefully E3 will reveal more. It betta...

Comment

Working...
                        X