Bubble Bobble Old & New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bubble Bobble Old & New

I picked this up on Friday (it just came out in the UK, so I guess that it could have gone in the PAL forum but it hasn't been discussed here before, so nur ) for ?25 from Game (first purchase from there in years).

It comes highly recommended. An arcade perfect port of the 1986 original plus a new (read pointless) version with updated graphics and (arghhhh!) remixed music. Not many games stand the test of time as well as this one. Truly one of gamings everlasting games.

It comes with a nasty silver looking link cable too (but hey it's free!). It can be played link up with one cartridge, but what the box doesn't tell you is that only the first twelve levels can be played like this. Then it loops back to level 1 again. A second cartridge is required to play the other 88 levels in link up .

It's a shame, as it would have made the game perfect, but still it's a highly recommended purchase.

Hmm

Brats

I am interested in this big time. I got Bubble Bobble for the Gameboy Colour and was very much disapointed with it. It was like a different game, it had a scrolling screen FFS ft:

I used to play the arcade version all the time in my youth and have a claim to fame of getting to level 75 on 1 credit.

Can you confirm that the screen dont scroll on this new version, also link up would have been great, bit cheeky them only giving you 12 levels though, it was great on 2 players both scrapping for the large fruit after a crook stick. Also, does it include the 'diamond room' (accessed by not losing a life up to level 20 and the 'burner appears).

Does it also record and save your high scores or does it lose the scores when you turn it off??

It would be most helpful if you could answer the above questions as I might just get it.

Off topic a little bit but has anybody played House of the Dead pinball, if so, is it any good and does that save your high scores??
    I love Pokemon pinball and have set some (I think) really good scores on it. Looking forward to Sonic pinball, anyone know the release date!

Might just have to get that SP after all

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Trok

Comment

Sounds good, is it a proper convertion as Taito lost the original code a while back and the Saturn and Playstation versions were based on the near perfect but not accurate Atari ST version. As far as I'm aware the GBA doesn't have enough grunt to emulate three Z80s so I'm hoping they have managed to reverse engineer the code and do a decent version.

Sounds like a Jap import I'll have to obtain.

Comment

Originally posted by MD
        Taito lost the original code a while back
        Should have gone to mame.dk

Comment

Is the updated one based on the rather rocking Bubble Symphony or is it another new Bubble Bobble?

Comment

Originally posted by Square
            Originally posted by MD
            Taito lost the original code a while back
            Should have gone to mame.dk
            When I said code I did mean source code... :P

Comment

The updated version appears to be literally the original game with new graphics and music.

If someone can confirm that you can play the original in a slightly squashed screen mode (to eliminate scrolling), then I'm sold.

One of the best arcade games ever.

Comment

Yep, you hit the L trigger (afaicr, I only played it on a mates copy).

Comment

Cool.

I loved the original but I have to say that not having a full on single-cart two player option is a bit of a missed opportunity. Whatever the case I think I will have to pick this up as its the perfect companion to the GBA-SP I am planning to buy next week.

Now I wont be able to get that cutesy music outta my head all over again!

Comment

As someone said, pressing the L button when playing the game smoothly scales the screen from a vertically scrolling screen to full screen. It works really well.

As far as I can tell, the game looks identical to the original arcade machine, even down to the title screen and high score table. I thought the music wasn't quite the same at first, but listening through headphones it sounds perfect .

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
                      I thought the music wasn't quite the same at first, but listening through headphones it sounds perfect .
                      Well that's gone and done it, I'll have to pick it up. The only thing that was stopping me getting it was that I heard the music was changed. A bit melodramatic I know, but Bubble Bobble holds a very special place in my heart from my youth and to not have the, do-doo-do music, would be very strange.

Comment

Working...
                      X