This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important Announcement - Please read

As of today the feedback forum is no more, however the ability to give feedback continues. We thank everyone who has participated in giving constructive criticism to any article we have published on the site. You can still give feedback to the site, but from now on this can be either emailed to [email protected] or, if you are a forum member, via PM, and the writer or another member of staff will reply back to you as soon as possible. For PM to the writer, please use the link at the bottom of the article.

The feedback forum was originally setup to inform our members of the latest articles on the site, and to garner any constructive criticism which would help our writer's improve. We feel that this is no longer the case, our reviews are updated on a more regular basis so that people no longer need informing when they have been uploaded. Also, not enough forum members use the feedback forum constructively, with it only becoming a point of focus when an argument develops.

Once again, we thank everyone who has submitted any constructive criticism during the time the feedback forum has been active. Its been more than helpful on a number of occassions, and is appreciated by every member of staff.

The PM link and new email address will be at the bottom of every new article which goes on the site, and will be read by the staff members, and replied to if appropriate. The feedback forum will be archived, but new threads within it will be disabled.

Thanks for your time.

NTSC-uk.com
    Last edited by John Beaulieu; 23-01-2006, 12:47.

Most writers AFAIK welcome feedback, Ive not noticed a sudden spate of derogatory comments towards articles/writers (unless they are removed) so am a little surprised at the timing of this announcement.

I hope the quality of reviews doesn't suffer the above loss, feedback from members can also be used as a tool to improve further reviews.

Does this apply to the comments forum also, again historically another bone of contention for the site which could easily be managed via email?

Comment

We have a strong editorial setup in place which ensures that no loss of quality takes place. The writers have agreed to the changes taking place - and will still take on-board any comments sent in via both pm and email.

The timing of the announcement is due to us taking time to streamline the plans we now have in place - we have recently lost a valued member of the writing staff due to un-neccessary comments made against him and his work, and that is one writer too many.

Comment

Originally posted by John Beaulieu
        As of today the feedback forum is no more. We thank everyone who has participated in giving constructive criticism to any article we have published on the site. You can still give feedback to the site, but from now on this can be either emailed to [email protected] or, if you are a forum member, via PM, and the writer or another member of staff will reply back to you as soon as possible. For PM to the writer, please use the link at the bottom of the article.

The feedback forum was originally setup to inform our members of the latest articles on the site, and to garner any constructive criticism which would help our writer's improve. We feel that this is no longer the case, our reviews are updated on a more regular basis so that people no longer need informing when they have been uploaded. Also, not enough forum members use the feedback forum constructively, with it only becoming a point of focus when an argument develops.

Once again, we thank everyone who has submitted any constructive criticism during the time the feedback forum has been active. Its been more than helpful on a number of occassions, and is appreciated by every member of staff.

The new email address will be at the bottom of every article which goes on the site, and every email will be read by the staff members, and replied to. The feedback forum will be archived, but posting within it will be disabled.

Thanks for your time.

NTSC-uk.com
        Of course of the great things about NTSC-uk is the reviews! Very sorry to hear of the loss! Come back whoever you are!

One of the problems of any hobby, is that everyone thinks they "Know best" Much debate on forums is about another's view on the subject matter. One of the good things about the feedback system, was the ability to debate with someone who has taken their love of gaming to the level that they will spend their own time & dedication to produce a review, Free of Charge, to the NTSC-uk membership. Even if this facility was not greatly used, I can't help but feel it is sad to lose it.

If there was a small minority spoiling things, could they not be moderated?

Does this mean that should we want to debate an NTSC review, the post will be locked? So will have to discuss it on another board? That just doesn't seem right to me.

But you are the guys giving up your time & energy for the site, & I guess you are in a much better position to make these decisions. It certainly sounds like the whole editorial team are up for this change.

I guess at the end of the day, Reviews + No feedback thread = Better than No Reviews!

Thanks for everyone's hard work on writing the reviews. I wish I had given more feedback now.

Comment

Feedback is still accepted, via PM or email - if you want to debate the review with the writer/staff of NTSC-uk.com then you can do so by the links which will be at the bottom of every article we put online.

If you want to talk about the game, then we request that you use the First Play thread which will, more likely than not, already be in place.

Comment

During my time as a writer I found the feedback to be very useful even the threads that went a bit sour (Shutokou Battle 01) helped me in some way to rethink my approach to reviews.

Post ntsc-uk, where possible I've tried to leave constructive feedback for the reviews I've read and felt compelled to do so. I know from PM's and the threads themselves that this has been received in good spirit and deemed helpful in most cases.

The site has struggled for a long time with the issue of inflamatory feedback and in the minority of cases where this was a problem it has caused writers to feel victimised and ultimately stop writing altogether, which is unfortunate. I was under the impression that writers could opt out of feedback in an attempt to mitigate this?.

Really this change seems rather pointless and if I'm honest a touch short sighted - as someone posted earlier inapropriate feedback could just be moderated. Removing the capacity for corporate feedback and relying on 'invisible' comments from the readership seems like a step backwards, especially when you look at the direction most websites are taking towards more interactive and public ways for their readership to discuss and debate their content (e.g. bbc - ok so it's heavily vetted).

The thought of sending in feedback through pm frankly terrifies me. I'd rather not get into a private critique of someones work for fear of a stern rebuttal. By contrast the existing system gives both writer and reader the comfort of peer review by the forum members. If the writer is talking rubbish the forum will let them know if the person leaving the feedback is talking rubbish the forum will let them know.
            Last edited by Madbury; 23-01-2006, 14:22.

Comment

I dont get what it's going to solve?

If you're getting 'rude' comments regarding reviews here, whats to stop anyone just pm'ing the reviewer personally and doing the same thing? Which would be far more intrusive and personal (maybe just my viewpoint).

I dunno if what I've said sounds silly....
              Last edited by gingerj; 23-01-2006, 14:24.

Comment

I liked the review feedback forum (although badly under-used it!) as it allowed a balanced argument from all sides. A user could say "Great but I think x, y and z" then the reviewer could come back and put his opinion down. Anyone else that thought the same problem with the review would then also see the reason why it was done.

Now, if anyone can even be bothered to provide e-mail or pm feedback, the writer could receive the same "problem with your review imo" question 3 or 4 times! Surely more of an annoyance?

Comment

I doubt anyone will bother sending PMs or emails for feedback, it rarely happens. Its sad to see someone go over negative feedback, and it has happened numerous times before.

Reviews arent done for personal gain, its for the love of the hobby and for writing, but a writer should need to realise that not everyone will agree with their take on something and be big enough to take criticism of their work on board (even if its plainly wrong).

I know theres nothing worse than spending hours playing and writing up a game review only for others to post at times thoughtless comments in response to it, but it comes with the territory, and what is written on this site is there for public consumption, as well as everything else a writer also needs to be thick skinned enough not to let things get them down. Finding people like this though is like finding a goldmine :/

No-one would condone inflammatory personal comments aimed at a writer, but were this the case then I think moderating those posts is better than removal imo.

Still, its a very defensive move to remove this forum, but if it means more writers stay on board then its probably worth doing, be it rightly or wrongly.

Comment

Why should any writer be forced to put up with abuse? It should not be part and parcel of putting your work on public display, people should treat anyone with the same consideration and respect they wish to be treated themselves. It's wrong to say that a writer should be thick-skinned, or they should have big enough shoulders to accept any criticism - we are all different and abuse/un-due criticism affects us all in different ways, what one person might laugh off or ignore might make another writer doubt his writing ability/feel he has let the site down when this is not the case.

Yes, the writers do this for no gain, this does not mean that they should take abuse for their time and effort. One writer leaving the site due to feedback is one writer too many in my book - and whether this change has come too late to convince that writer to stay is something I regret.

Why have feedback privately now rather than publically? In my experience people are more likely to be more civil towards another person when conversing privately. If anyone feels that it is too awkward to pm the writer directly, they can always use the email account we have setup which does not go directly to the writer but to a senior member of staff (the email will be forwarded to the writer and a reply emailed back).

Feedback is useful, which is why we ask people to continue with feedback. We have not removed the ability for anyone to leave feedback, we have just removed it from the public eye.

Anyone looking at this change as a negative, or claiming it is a defensive move is completely missing the point. We could heavily moderate the feedback forum, but then we get accused of being too heavy handed (and members will post asking why have a feedback forum if you moderate it) so this is the compromise we have made. Our aim is to continue to provide reviews and articles to you with the full writing staff at our disposal, not to have writers worrying about submitting articles due to what the feedback may or may not be like.

Once again, the only change this makes to people wishing to leave feedback is that the feedback is now private rather than public. If you wish to leave any feedback please use the links which will be at the bottom of every article uploaded from today - the email link will go to a seperate email address whilst the PM link will go directly to the writer.
                    Last edited by John Beaulieu; 23-01-2006, 20:46.

Comment

As a one-time writer here, I have to say that while getting positive feedback did feel great, negative feedback did made me think, "pfft, I dunno why I put myself through this". I never got that much negative, because when I was writing the feedback forum was quite aggressively moderated, but my feelings are the same. I wouldn't presume to speak for every writer - I'm sure 95% of the writers this site has played host to are thicker skinned than I am - but I think this is as good a way to deal with what has always been an awkward issue for the site as has yet been tried.

If ntsc-uk was a pro site, I would feel different. It isn't, though - and I don't think that public lambasting of some of the pieces, or attempts at humiliating the writers (both of which have happened here in the past) are helpful on an amateur and unpaid site which exists only because the writers love games. Whatever we think, there isn't - and I'm not sure there can be - a happy medium between a laissez-faire free-for-all "this is amateurish rubbish and I don't know why you've bothered" ****storm, and over-moderated spindoctored love-in.

If someone feels strongly enough about a review, I think they'll send a mail, or a PM. As long as the criticism (or praise, of course) is deserved, and as long as the content of the mail gets to the writer, all is well.

I approve, anyway

Comment

It's a shame but I can understand why it is been done. I suppuse the pedantic trouble makers will not bother pm'ing as they enjoy the audience. I never used the feedback forum a lot but I did always leave a message saying when I had particulary enjoed a review.

Comment

Why should any writer be forced to put up with abuse? It should not be part and parcel of putting your work on public display, people should treat anyone with the same consideration and respect they wish to be treated themselves. It's wrong to say that a writer should be thick-skinned, or they should have big enough shoulders to accept any criticism - we are all different and abuse/un-due criticism affects us all in different ways, what one person might laugh off or ignore might make another writer doubt his writing ability/feel he has let the site down when this is not the case.
                          Calm down dear it's only a website. , but yeah I agree with your sentiment entirely with respect to abuse. The problem is one persons abuse is another persons useful negative feedback. It's a grey area that you rightly point out is nearly impossible to moderate well.

Once again, the only change this makes to people wishing to leave feedback is that the feedback is now private rather than public. If you wish to leave any feedback please use the links which will be at the bottom of every article uploaded from today - the email link will go to a seperate email address whilst the PM link will go directly to the writer.
                          Fair do's I'll give that a whirl and see how it pans out.

Comment

I think the comments that NTSC-uk is not a pro site are key here. I believe this website provides a great free service to the gaming community, and having read through this thread and taken time to refelect, I fully support the notion that unpaid writers, would rather not have their work publically debated. The guys are doing this for free, and if the editorial team has given the green light for the article, then that should be quality control enough. I can also see why the editors comments may seem a little highly strung (They do to me anyway) He is just trying to protect his team, and do his best to keep the editorial content flowing. If you care enough about something, and see your team getting the piss ripped, then there something seriously wrong if you don't get a bit hot under the collar!

We are lucky to have a team willing to devote so much time & attention to promoting their hobby, and if these dudes want this change, lets support them.

That's all I have to say, but wanted to post again, as after i read more, and thought about it, I realised I was wrong to question the motives on this one.

C_S
                            Last edited by capcom_suicide; 24-01-2006, 08:19. Reason: typos

Comment

Why should any writer be forced to put up with abuse?
                              I didnt say they should did I?

It's wrong to say that a writer should be thick-skinned
                              No its not, 'thick-skinned', as in, able to take criticism onboard, is and should be part of the job. If not you end up with a bunch of writers who throw their toys out of their pram at the slightest negative response.

Originally posted by Madbury
                              It's a grey area that you rightly point out is nearly impossible to moderate well.
                              I dont see the problem? If its not personal, and it relates to the article, then why moderate it at all?

Anyways, whatever, Im sure once the Feedback forum is removed its existence will be all but forgotton in a few weeks time.

Comment

Working...
                              X