retro rip off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retro rip off

Ever been ripped off before buying or selling retro items, or any gaming items in the past? i know i have thanks to my friendly neighbourhood indie (which thankfully isn't around anymore), being a stupid kid back then i let myself be open to being ripped off by this A star twat.

- back in 1997 i sold my boxed saturn complete with, about 15 games to them (including street fighter alpha 2, sega rally, manx tt) in which he only offered ?65, being a guilable kid i accepted. I still can't believe i let him rip me off so badly, but still i never learned.

-i sold my neogeo pocket colour and 5 games to the same place for only ?30, this was back when you could even buy them in Dixons, i remember him saying they weren't popular so he couldn't give me much for them. Then later i found the arsehol selling the games i sold to him for ?30 each! not popular, hard to sell my arse. Frankly this tosser made gamestation's buying prices seem fair.

Anyone got any experiances they would like to share?

Mario Tennis off ebay.com Photo looked great. However, it was just the front of a box. The actual box behind it was in tatters. I paid mint price for what was essentially ****e.
    Since then I always ask before bidding including "are there any stickers or marker pen on it"

Comment

?60 for a all-be-it mint pal marvel vs capcom 2 on the dreamcast, before i joined ntsc-uk and saw copys going for ?25 tops!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
        Since then I always ask before bidding including "are there any stickers or marker pen on it"
        I've made that mistake too in the past. Dunno what it is about American ebayers writing on their N64 carts in permanent ink.

Two examples I've had:

- Wave Race 64 with WAVERACER (sic) written on the top of the cart

- Paper Mario 64 with 'this belongs to ZAKK' written on the label on the front of the cart (sibling rivalry?)

Paper Mario was a real kicker as it was described as 'mint' (which it essentially was bar the err.... customisation) & set me back a fair bit.

Comment

Sold my mint and complete Pal version of Castlevania SOTN in EB some 6 years back before i knew much about r@R£ stuff. Got about a tenner for it ;(

Comment

I paid ?60 for Ikaruga just because of some postcards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear
              Sold my mint and complete Pal version of Castlevania SOTN in EB some 6 years back before i knew much about r@R£ stuff. Got about a tenner for it ;(
              Was that not a fair price 6 years ago?

Comment

I wouldn't pay that much for it now - horrible, horrible conversion.

Comment

i let me self get ripped of today as i really wanted a boxed sega 32x - i went down to the videogame centre (bournemouth) with a boxed jap dreamcast + 20+ jap games + 2 PS2 games - got a boxed 32X (had a missing lead) 1 32x game + lma manager 2005 (ps2) - i will learn sometime

Comment

Originally posted by DCX
                    i let me self get ripped of today as i really wanted a boxed sega 32x - i went down to the videogame centre (bournemouth) with a boxed jap dreamcast + 20+ jap games + 2 PS2 games - got a boxed 32X (had a missing lead) 1 32x game + lma manager 2005 (ps2) - i will learn sometime
                    That could quite possibly be the worst trade in ever.

Myself, i remember wanting desperately Fatal Fury 2 on snes only it was the amercian version and i needed that adaptor thingy. I traded in 3 games and paid 40 quid on top just for the game and adaptor. i was only 13 i think at the time. 3 games which cost my parents roughly 120 sheets!

Comment

Not sure if it qualifies as "retro" but I made a huge mistake by selling my Dreamcast.

Mint PAL console, 40+ perfect condition games (some imports, I had some 3rd-party boot-disc to go with it - not a burned one) two controllers, two lightguns, two vibration packs, two VMUs, one 16x memory card (for multiple PSO characters) and the keyboard.

...?100 that I put towards an Xbox.

What was I thinking?

Comment

That could quite possibly be the worst trade in ever.

Myself, i remember wanting desperately Fatal Fury 2 on snes only it was the amercian version and i needed that adaptor thingy. I traded in 3 games and paid 40 quid on top just for the game and adaptor. i was only 13 i think at the time. 3 games which cost my parents roughly 120 sheets!

I know - least you were 13 being young and that most of us that age have been ripped off by gaming shops - but im 22 and i still have not learned, you deal was still bad, Tip ever feel the need to get ripped off visit www.videogamecentre.co.uk - ?70 for PSone anybody?

Comment

I paid about $55 on eBay for a copy of Gitaroo Man. The seller had a very different idea of "mint" from me.

Comment

That video games center has to be one of the biggest rip offs i've ever seen, ?80 for a GBA SP??????? ?40 for Advance Wars 2??????? ?40 for Agent Under Fire.

WTF is wrong with these guys, someone needs to go down and give them a reality check.

Comment

i was looking through that videogame centre site and i felt that i must have somewhere taken a trip back into the past, it feels like the dodgy importers of the early 90's , ?160 for a imported DS and ?50 for imported DS games, not to mention ?550 for a US 360 core system, what are those guy's on? I saw a picture of that place from the outside in a mag and it looked very nice, shame it must be full of c**ts in the inside. And people wonder why our high street importers are dead

Comment

Working...
                              X